Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Horrible battery life

Example:
    Phone was at 100% 2 hours and 17 minutes ago.
    It's at 75% now.
    I haven't touched it since. It's just been idle with the screen off.

Can't even go through a day of work without it dying.
    I ordered a new battery hoping it'd fix this.

Nope. The battery life is still horrible.

Is something inside my phone damaged? I mean I dropped it underwater once. Anyway to fix it..?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28F96ECA

Default Re: Horrible battery life

is this a 9900 ??
    Q10,Z10, WHITE 9900 and PlayBook 32Gig AND 1,000 BBRY shares.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

It's the 9810 like the forum section I'm in says
    stevepar and andy957 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask if you want it

Go to options and while pressing alt key press BBDA so thats alt+BBDA and it will say Blackberry device analyzer activated. Go to it, it will be under advanced system setting. Run the battery test and choose battery draining too fast and run that test, after an hour check on it and it will give you an indication as to what is running in the background eating up your battery. Maybe it's an app set to refresh quite often. From there you can find the culprit app and know how to deal with it.
    BBM Channel: C000F811E

Blog: http://phlykid.tumblr.com

What doesn't kill you could very well injure you. Also, its morally wrong to allow naive end users to keep their money
    Enskyment likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,385 Global Posts

Also hold the BB menu button down (dots on it) for a couple of seconds and it will show you what is running in the background. There should only be the home icon, BBMessenger, email/message icon, phone icon and browser icon (5) showing. Anything else that is showing is running.
    Some apps like "what'sApp", "Rueters News" and others will continue to stay open or run after you hit the escape key, so you need to click on the menu button when you are done with an app, and hit close. The first step is always to see what is running in the back ground. Use the battery analyzer as Phly_kid mentions above, and I'd download the "Application Resource Monitor" from appworld and install it. I monitors what is running and if the app that's running is draining the battery, it shuts it off. It is one of the best apps available and a must if you use other applications. Keep us posted as to how it goes.
    Enskyment likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Phly_kid View Post
    Go to options and while pressing alt key press BBDA so thats alt+BBDA and it will say Blackberry device analyzer activated. Go to it, it will be under advanced system setting. Run the battery test and choose battery draining too fast and run that test, after an hour check on it and it will give you an indication as to what is running in the background eating up your battery. Maybe it's an app set to refresh quite often. From there you can find the culprit app and know how to deal with it.
    Alt+BBDA in the options section just makes me search for "!!5*" which brings nothing up.

Quote Originally Posted by go1ndr View Post
    Also hold the BB menu button down (dots on it) for a couple of seconds and it will show you what is running in the background. There should only be the home icon, BBMessenger, email/message icon, phone icon and browser icon (5) showing. Anything else that is showing is running.
    Some apps like "what'sApp", "Rueters News" and others will continue to stay open or run after you hit the escape key, so you need to click on the menu button when you are done with an app, and hit close.
    I know.
    I never leave anything running other than the default 5.
    The first step is always to see what is running in the back ground. Use the battery analyzer as Phly_kid mentions above, and I'd download the "Application Resource Monitor" from appworld and install it. I monitors what is running and if the app that's running is draining the battery, it shuts it off. It is one of the best apps available and a must if you use other applications. Keep us posted as to how it goes.
    I'll check out the app resource monitor. Thanks
    Thanked by:
    go1ndr (11-09-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

+1 for "Application resource monitor" by RIM.
    wish i found this apps weeks ago.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,385 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teamfoster03 View Post
    +1 for "Application resource monitor" by RIM.
    wish i found this apps weeks ago.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Great App!
    CrackBerry User

I had the same problem with battery life. The first 2 hrs after i unplugged my phone from charger it lost 20 percent of the batt. with lite use i could get 20 hrs maximum while using device version 7.0. When i updated to 7.1 build 1997 it all changed. The first 2hrs the batt was still in the high 90%ages with lite to medium use. And started getting really good battery times 30-40+ hrs on a single charge on Lite to medium use. Also installed Application Resource Monitor. This app helped keep apps from running in the background and burning processor power and battery when i wasnt using them.
    Enskyment likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

You got 20 hours with lite use?
    With no use I get 12 hours LOL

Recently received a notification on an update so I'll get on 7.1 now. Never bothered with getting it elsewhere.
    After that I'll get the app.

Thanks. Fingers crossed.
    CrackBerry User

good luck !
    Enskyment likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Are you running wifi as well? Had a chat with a friend today about battery life on his 9900, he said it got better when he left wifi off. I guess when he was not connected, it ate battery hunting for a new connection.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

nupe. I only turn it on when using it
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Enskyment View Post
    Example:

Is something inside my phone damaged? I mean I dropped it underwater once. Anyway to fix it..?
    HOw long ago did it fall in water? if it was recent like in the past few days? take out the battery and leave the battery door off, open the slider screen, put it in a zip lock bag and fill the bag with your phone inside with white rice. keep it in the bag for a few days. that should dry it out well enough to start using it.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Several months ago.

anyways. on 7.1 now. found the battery saver and enabled that. Still no battery test like Phly_kid was talking about.
    Downloaded the app resource monitor.

I thought the application was going to actually show me what's draining the battery but when opening it, I just have a few things to toggle on and off and that's it
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

BlackBerry Device Analyzer is only available on 7.1 and it will show you what is draining your battery. Now that you have the update, go to options>device>advanced system settings. The last thing listed should be BlackBerry Device Analyzer. If it isn't, then do the hold Alt down while you type "bbda". A window should pop up that says it has been activated. Escape out of all the options screen and then go back in to options>device>advanced system settings>BlackBerry Device Analyzer. Select "Battery Tests". Select "Battery draining too quickly". click the start button. Come back in to this screen in an hour and it will give you a graph. Highlight an area of the graph and you will then get a listing of what is using up your battery.
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.2.1.2141
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    Thanked by:
    andy957 (11-13-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Thanks dear. Got it going now
    Unfortunately getting another errror.

Turning my screen on keeps bringing up the error "Uncaught exception: Index 1 >= 1"
    I checked the errorlog but saw nothing that could tell me what was going on.
    Found this thread when searching for it:
    Uncaught exception: Index 1 > = 1
    No resolutions on it though.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

How long ago was it that you dropped it underwater? Was it fresh or salt water or, horrors of horrors, toilet bowl water?
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry User

9810 users how long does your battery last after u have unplug it from the charger? I usually can get 2 days with minimal usage. Is that normal? with my old samsung 8910 i can get 5-7 days from it with minimal usage after i have unplug it from the wall charger.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Quote Originally Posted by chubals03 View Post
    9810 users how long does your battery last after u have unplug it from the charger? I usually can get 2 days with minimal usage. Is that normal? with my old samsung 8910 i can get 5-7 days from it with minimal usage after i have unplug it from the wall charger.
    Your 9810 does a lot more than your oldSamsung did, and it does it a lot quicker. You are comparing an apple to an orange. The graphics and the larger screen put more demands on the battery. 2 days is pretty good. I charge mine every night because I use my 9810 extensively. It lasts a full day, but I just never want to be without power.
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    Thanked by:
    chubals03 (11-11-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,369 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by newcollector View Post
    Your 9810 does a lot more than your oldSamsung did, and it does it a lot quicker. You are comparing an apple to an orange. The graphics and the larger screen put more demands on the battery. 2 days is pretty good. I charge mine every night because I use my 9810 extensively. It lasts a full day, but I just never want to be without power.
    Agree. 2 days is great! For what this phone can do, it gets great battery life compared to most.
    Thanked by:
    chubals03 (11-11-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

for battery device analyser u need 7.1 OS
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by newcollector View Post
    How long ago was it that you dropped it underwater? Was it fresh or salt water or, horrors of horrors, toilet bowl water?
    some months ago. full cups worth of average drinking water.

The error above randomly disappeared shortly after. Had some messed up versions of apps leftover which was probably the cause.
    Didn't re-install two apps that I used to use because if anything is sucking battery, I assumed they would.

One was some theme that changes the entire look of the phone. It was the fall one that also has similar ones for summer, spring, and winter.
    The other was called "advanced OS and LED" which I just used to change the led light in relation to different tasks and contacts.
    It was an older version. I hadn't updated it for several months due to not wanting to have to lose what I had put into it and not having a way to back it up.

Battery seems to be doing much better. Can't really understand the app craze if using some real basic things as simple as the above is enough to ruin my phone's battery life.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2AE2A7F9

Device Analyzer not available in .746
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,189 Global Posts

There are a bunch of suggestions in this thread:

I solved my "Spinning Clock"/Lagging/Battery Drain problem...

Although for 9800, most apply to 9810 as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast