Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maple_geek
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default GPS no longer working on my 9810

Hi,

Last night I went to use BlackBerry Traffic (like I often do) and the GPS couldn't lock on any satellite. It kept switching back and forth between aGPS and no GPS. I went through some other apps that use the GPS (Google maps, Endomondo, BB maps, ...) and none of them could find my location. I have not upgraded my phone in some time (running 7.1.0.658) and the GPS has always worked great before. Any ideas? Is this a hardware issue and the GPS circuit in phone is now dead?

Thanks in advance!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

You can run the internal self test on the GPS to verify its function. Go to Options / Device / Device and Status Information. Type the letters test. You won't see them echoed on the screen. A menu will pop up to start the self test application. Select the GPS test. The results will tell you if there's a problem with your device.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    You can run the internal self test on the GPS to verify its function. Go to Options / Device / Device and Status Information. Type the letters test. You won't see them echoed on the screen. A menu will pop up to start the self test application. Select the GPS test. The results will tell you if there's a problem with your device.
    Thanks. Sorry, but I forgot to mention that I had already tried that. I'm getting "Timed out while waiting for the GPS Location" all the time.
    BlackBerry Q10
    BlackBerry PlayBook 64G
    www.ericmayer.ca
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

Well, there's nothing wrong with the GPS constellation (I just ran the self-test successfully). The GPS receiver is not working in any app on your phone. It previously worked in several. You knew to run the self-test, so you know what you are doing. That would rule out operator error. You haven't installed any new software. We haven't discussed rebooting, but I'm sure you did that already. It certainly sounds like you have a GPS problem. You mention aGPS. I don't know if the 9810 GPS receiver requires a ground signal or not. I just turned off the phone on my 9930 and ran the GPS test again. It passed. The GPS in the 9930 can operate fully independent of the phone network. I don't know about the receiver in the 9810. If it requires a ground signal to locate the satellites, then that could be your problem if the ground signal is missing or invalid. If you have previously successfully used the GPS with no phone signal, then that rules out the need for a ground signal. In that case, I'd say your GPS circuit has died.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

In that case, I'd say your GPS circuit has died.
    Yes, that's my fear too. Although when I'm on WiFi, I Google/BlackBerry maps work fine but it could just find my location based on some WiFi location algorithm. Endomondo doesn't lock even on WiFi. I did try reboot/battery pulls. I'm going to try an upgrade to the latest software to see if that changes anything, but I doubt it. Thanks for you help!
    BlackBerry Q10
    BlackBerry PlayBook 64G
    www.ericmayer.ca
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

I don't know about BlackBerry Maps, but Google can approximate your location based on the cell tower you are using if it has a phone signal and no valid GPS. I don't think a software upgrade will help, but it probably won't hurt. If you're still in warranty, the failed self-test is all you need for a warranty claim.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I don't know about BlackBerry Maps, but Google can approximate your location based on the cell tower you are using if it has a phone signal and no valid GPS. I don't think a software upgrade will help, but it probably won't hurt. If you're still in warranty, the failed self-test is all you need for a warranty claim.
    Do you happen to know what the warranty is like for BlackBerry? I believe I bought the phone in August 2012.

Update: After looking, I found out that I bought the phone in August 2011 and the warranty appears to be 90 days so unless I figure something out I guess I'm out of a GPS until I buy a new phone...
    Last edited by maple_geek; 01-13-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    BlackBerry Q10
    BlackBerry PlayBook 64G
    www.ericmayer.ca
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

I think the warranty is 30 days for a new replacement and 1 year for a reburbished replacement (I could be mistaken), but either way, August 2011 is too old for a warranty replacement. Is there anything else that changed around the time the GPS quit working? Anything that might have had the unanticipated consequence of disabling the GPS?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

I think the warranty is 30 days for a new replacement and 1 year for a reburbished replacement (I could be mistaken), but either way, August 2011 is too old for a warranty replacement. Is there anything else that changed around the time the GPS quit working? Anything that might have had the unanticipated consequence of disabling the GPS?
    Hard to say exactly what could have changed. I do get apps update all the time. I did change my carrier plan fairly recently (I'm with Rogers) to reduce my data plan a bit since I wasn't using it all. I did not upgrade to software on it in some time. None of this should affect the hardware inside my phone I don't think. I also didn't drop the phone or didn't get liquid on it or anything that could have affected the internal circuitry as far as I'm aware. I used BlackBerry traffic for the last time just before Christmas I believe and it worked fine. I'm puzzled. I guess any electronic can fail at any time, but I would have expected a bit more robustness.
    BlackBerry Q10
    BlackBerry PlayBook 64G
    www.ericmayer.ca
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maple_geek View Post
    Hard to say exactly what could have changed. I do get apps update all the time. I did change my carrier plan fairly recently (I'm with Rogers) to reduce my data plan a bit since I wasn't used ing it all. I did not upgrade to software on it in some time. None of this should affect the hardware inside my phone I don't think. I also didn't drop the phone or didn't get liquid on it or anything that could have affected the internal circuitry as far as I'm aware. I used BlackBerry traffic for the last time just before Christmas I believe and it worked fine. I'm puzzled. I guess any electronic can fail at any time, but I would have expected a bit more robustness.
    Carriers can enable or disable hardware functions on your phone without your permission. Verizon disabled the GPS receiver in the 8830 for all but their proprietary apps for years. It is at least possible that when you changed plans, Rogers either intentionally or inadvertently disabled your GPS. It would be worth asking the Customer service.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Carriers can enable or disable hardware functions on your phone without your permission. Verizon disabled the GPS receiver in the 8830 for all but their proprietary apps for years. It is at least possible that when you changed plans, Rogers either intentionally or inadvertently disable your GPS. It would be worth asking the Customer service.
    Thanks, I didn't know they could do that. I'll give them a call.

Update: Rogers assures me that they do not enable/disable hardware functionality on BB phones. The change that was made on my phone recently was purely an accounting change and nothing to do with the phone itself. So my last hope is that upgrading the software will somehow fix it.
    Last edited by maple_geek; 01-13-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    BlackBerry Q10
    BlackBerry PlayBook 64G
    www.ericmayer.ca
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Well, what do you know. I updated my software to 7.1.0.794 and all is working again...go figure. Something was likely corrupted. I still can't login the Yahoo Messenger app though (been like that for several months) but that's another story.
    BlackBerry Q10
    BlackBerry PlayBook 64G
    www.ericmayer.ca
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,751 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask for it ;)

have you tryed updateing your appworld to 4.0.0.65? and also your yahoo app
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Berry_21 View Post
    have you tryed updateing your appworld to 4.0.0.65? and also your yahoo app
    Yes, I have. I keep everything up to date all the time. It was the latest Yahoo app (or the second latest) update that broke it for me. I always get an "Internal error" when I try to login. Used to work fine until that update. Based on the reviews/forums, I'm not the only one.
    BlackBerry Q10
    BlackBerry PlayBook 64G
    www.ericmayer.ca
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm on Rogers as well. Where did you get the 7.1.0.794 upgrade? I upgraded to 7.1.0.746 a while back and my GPS crapped out after that and it wasn't working so great before that. If you could post a link that would be a big help!! Thanks in advance
    CrackBerry Abuser

I had intermittent GPS failures on my 9810 - unable to get a lock and "GPS signal is lost" during BlackBerry Traffic... Coincidentally or not, after I uninstalled BBM Messenger I noticed a major improvement in GPS function on both of my Blackberry devices (9810 and 9700)... Knock wood...