Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Google Maps

Hi everyone;

I just bought a Torch 9810 running OS 7.1.0.267. I was looking for a version of Google Maps for this phone. I went to the Google mobile apps site and there is no longer a link for a Blackberry app. Apparently Google is no longer supporting Blackberry OS, and they are only offering Android versions of their latest app. I did find a download link at mobile.brothersoft.com that says Google Maps v6.14.1 is available and works for the Torch 9810, but when I attempted to download, it seems to be a broken link. It's also not available on Blackberry App World.

Can anyone tell me if this app even exists, and if so is there somewhere where I can still get it? Alternatively, do any older versions of Google Maps work on this device, and if so, where can I get them?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,659 Global Posts

Direct Google Maps link:

http://dl.google.com/dl/mobile/maps/...GoogleMaps.jad

For other Google apps, go to:

Google Mobile
    Thanked by:
    lalston393 (01-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

m.google.com
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er_tor View Post
    Direct Google Maps link:

http://dl.google.com/dl/mobile/maps/...GoogleMaps.jad

For other Google apps, go to:

Google Mobile
    Thanks, unfortunately doesn't seem to work with WIFI. Looks for a data connection.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by robertdusa View Post
    m.google.com
    Went there. There's no BlackBerry link, only Android.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,019 Global Posts

Where did the Google Mobile apps for BlackBerry go? | CrackBerry.com

Google Groups

Try google.com/mobile/other . It should get you there.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    Where did the Google Mobile apps for BlackBerry go? | CrackBerry.com

Google Groups

Try google.com/mobile/other . It should get you there.
    Seems that the link for Google maps shows up with the native Blackberry browser, but not with some third-party browsers. When I went there with Opera mini, it didn't show up, but it did show up with the native browser. Very odd.

Also, for those who are interested, I did find a maps app that works on Blackberry OS 7 via WIFI. Mobile Gmaps (MGMaps) v.1.39.21-bb is working very well for me on my Torch 8910. It's not on Blackberry app world, and must be side-loaded via Blackberry desktop. Here's the download link: http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps_bb.zip
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    794 Global Posts

Default Google Maps

It could be the Blackberry Native Browser sends the right identificator to the Google Server (which checks for browser id's to feed you customized content).

Other browsers do not have the right identifier string so Google doesn't know you are on a Blackberry when you browse using those browsers.

On a related note...

I lost Gmail app after updating and there is no more download for it. My wife has Gmail on her phone, but I have to use the web-version (which is not bad actually).

I believe Google is moving towards the HTML5-powered web-app model as it is way easier to support and update than making "native" apps for each phone/OS and most phones are racing towards full HTML5 compatibility.

I don't think this is an attempt by Google to "stick it" to non-Android users. It just makes sense to do it all in a browser.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by edyb View Post
    It could be the Blackberry Native Browser sends the right identificator to the Google Server (which checks for browser id's to feed you customized content). Other browsers do not have the right identifier string so Google doesn't know you are on a Blackberry when you browse using those browsers.
    Yeah, I suspected something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by edyb View Post
    On a related note...
    I lost Gmail app after updating and there is no more download for it. My wife has Gmail on her phone, but I have to use the web-version (which is not bad actually). I believe Google is moving towards the HTML5-powered web-app model as it is way easier to support and update than making "native" apps for each phone/OS and most phones are racing towards full HTML5 compatibility.I don't think this is an attempt by Google to "stick it" to non-Android users. It just makes sense to do it all in a browser.
    I never use those email apps for Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Aren't they just loaders for the web portals anyhow? Pain in the azz logging in every time. I personally prefer to use LogicMail and get all my mail via IMAP and POP connections.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

All i did was go to m.google.com on phone /
    hit google maps /
    hit download /
    done.
    Thanked by:
    eddy_berry (02-03-2013)