Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. TheBear64's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Google Maps

    Hi everyone;

    I just bought a Torch 9810 running OS 7.1.0.267. I was looking for a version of Google Maps for this phone. I went to the Google mobile apps site and there is no longer a link for a Blackberry app. Apparently Google is no longer supporting Blackberry OS, and they are only offering Android versions of their latest app. I did find a download link at mobile.brothersoft.com that says Google Maps v6.14.1 is available and works for the Torch 9810, but when I attempted to download, it seems to be a broken link. It's also not available on Blackberry App World.

    Can anyone tell me if this app even exists, and if so is there somewhere where I can still get it? Alternatively, do any older versions of Google Maps work on this device, and if so, where can I get them?

    Thanks.
  2. sk8er_tor's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,659 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Direct Google Maps link:

    http://dl.google.com/dl/mobile/maps/...GoogleMaps.jad

    For other Google apps, go to:

    Google Mobile
    Thanked by:
    lalston393 (01-21-2013) 
  3. robertdusa's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    m.google.com
  4. TheBear64's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er_tor View Post
    Direct Google Maps link:

    http://dl.google.com/dl/mobile/maps/...GoogleMaps.jad

    For other Google apps, go to:

    Google Mobile
    Thanks, unfortunately doesn't seem to work with WIFI. Looks for a data connection.
  5. TheBear64's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robertdusa View Post
    m.google.com
    Went there. There's no BlackBerry link, only Android.
  6. SwitchBeach's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,734 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,019 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Where did the Google Mobile apps for BlackBerry go? | CrackBerry.com

    Google Groups

    Try google.com/mobile/other . It should get you there.
  7. TheBear64's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    Where did the Google Mobile apps for BlackBerry go? | CrackBerry.com

    Google Groups

    Try google.com/mobile/other . It should get you there.
    Seems that the link for Google maps shows up with the native Blackberry browser, but not with some third-party browsers. When I went there with Opera mini, it didn't show up, but it did show up with the native browser. Very odd.

    Also, for those who are interested, I did find a maps app that works on Blackberry OS 7 via WIFI. Mobile Gmaps (MGMaps) v.1.39.21-bb is working very well for me on my Torch 8910. It's not on Blackberry app world, and must be side-loaded via Blackberry desktop. Here's the download link: http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps_bb.zip
  8. edyb's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    794 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default Google Maps

    It could be the Blackberry Native Browser sends the right identificator to the Google Server (which checks for browser id's to feed you customized content).

    Other browsers do not have the right identifier string so Google doesn't know you are on a Blackberry when you browse using those browsers.

    On a related note...

    I lost Gmail app after updating and there is no more download for it. My wife has Gmail on her phone, but I have to use the web-version (which is not bad actually).

    I believe Google is moving towards the HTML5-powered web-app model as it is way easier to support and update than making "native" apps for each phone/OS and most phones are racing towards full HTML5 compatibility.

    I don't think this is an attempt by Google to "stick it" to non-Android users. It just makes sense to do it all in a browser.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
  9. TheBear64's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edyb View Post
    It could be the Blackberry Native Browser sends the right identificator to the Google Server (which checks for browser id's to feed you customized content). Other browsers do not have the right identifier string so Google doesn't know you are on a Blackberry when you browse using those browsers.
    Yeah, I suspected something like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by edyb View Post
    On a related note...
    I lost Gmail app after updating and there is no more download for it. My wife has Gmail on her phone, but I have to use the web-version (which is not bad actually). I believe Google is moving towards the HTML5-powered web-app model as it is way easier to support and update than making "native" apps for each phone/OS and most phones are racing towards full HTML5 compatibility.I don't think this is an attempt by Google to "stick it" to non-Android users. It just makes sense to do it all in a browser.
    I never use those email apps for Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Aren't they just loaders for the web portals anyhow? Pain in the azz logging in every time. I personally prefer to use LogicMail and get all my mail via IMAP and POP connections.
  10. anon5129477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    744 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    All i did was go to m.google.com on phone /
    hit google maps /
    hit download /
    done.
    Thanked by:
    eddy_berry (02-03-2013) 

Similar Threads

  1. can't get google maps to work
    By ferritt in forum BlackBerry 8800, 8820
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 03:47 AM
  2. Google maps on Pearl = sadface
    By looloopoo in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 09:07 PM
  3. google maps works great on the 8800!
    By tomabraham63 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 09:50 PM
  4. BBerry Maps or Google Maps: GPS
    By legaleye2005 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
  5. Google Maps with GPS support
    By kasperapd in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 09:17 AM

Posting Permissions