Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By bobzda
  • 1 Post By chaosdivine
  • 1 Post By bobzda
  • 4 Post By chaosdivine
  • 1 Post By Mecca EL
  • 2 Post By go1ndr
  • 4 Post By bobzda
  • 2 Post By BigBadWulf
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Flaking paint on torch, spray paint?

Hi guys I'm Bobby and I'm new to the forum.
    I purchased a blackberry 9810 torch in this condition as it was cheap. I've spoken to phone repair shops and they said the only way to change the bezel is to also change the screen which is expensive.
    My question is; could I sand down the remaining paint, mask off the rest of the phone and spray the bezel with a plastic paint, all without taking the phone apart?

Please reply, thanking you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flaking paint on torch, spray paint?-img_00000025.jpg   Flaking paint on torch, spray paint?-img_00000026.jpg  

Global Posts
    35,471 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Challenging, but probably possible. A case would be much easier.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    Thanked by:
    bobzda (12-11-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,329 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobzda View Post
    Hi guys I'm Bobby and I'm new to the forum.
    I purchased a blackberry 9810 torch in this condition as it was cheap. I've spoken to phone repair shops and they said the only way to change the bezel is to also change the screen which is expensive.
    My question is; could I sand down the remaining paint, mask off the rest of the phone and spray the bezel with a plastic paint, all without taking the phone apart?

Please reply, thanking you.
    That repair shop should have just said, they didn't know how to replace the housing. For roughly $30, you can buy a full replacement housing off of eBay, spend a very CAREFUL hour taking the phone apart, and move all the internals to the new housing. By the time you factor in paint and supplies, the cost is the same, but more labor masking and painting. Now if you want to go custom, paint it. You would have a cool original color phone. Make sure to post results.
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

Happy Holidays!!!

Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

"I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
    Thanked by:
    bobzda (12-11-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Default Scared

Hi, thanks for the reply

I'm scared to take the phone apart in case I break it. If I sand/spray it the worst damage would be cosmetic. I was thinking of spraying it white, but you've got me thinking that I could use a different colour now lol.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    571 Global Posts

Hi, thanks for the reply

I'm scared to take the phone apart in case I break it. If I sand/spray it the worst damage would be cosmetic. I was thinking of spraying it white, but you've got me thinking that I could use a different colour now lol.
    YouTube is full of disassembly videos. Check them out and decide if you want to risk it. disasemble 9810 - YouTube

I'd read up on how to paint smooth plastic/metal without paint chipping off too - I'm sure the Internet has some info on how to do it. I wouldn't spray paint your phone masked off if I were you but I'd take the time to take it apart. Just make a plan on how you're taking it apart - don't do it willy nilly and put all screws together in one pile. Do it like surgery and make notes of each step if you have to. If you have to, use another digital camera to take photos. I've taken apart laptops hundreds of times and I tell you, my first few times I was nervous. But after you've done it a few times, I can do it in my sleep, well, much easier anyhow. I know when to use force and when not to. Just be cool and beware of ripping wires, they're thin and doing so will definitely brick your phone. I'd watch several of the videos to see where pitfalls are. It CAN be done. It will take you several hours since you're going to be cautious. But it is all doable.

Also, backup your phone's OS and all apps before disassembly in case something goes wrong so you can recover data if needed. You backup from Desktop Software and you can restore from there too. Back up your apps using something called BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife) http://bbsak.org/ and learn how to use it. Search Crackberry here for more info. It's powerful and you can screw up your phone if you're not careful, but again, it's all doable if you follow instructions.

Getting new painted housings off of eBay are the way to go in my opinion. Search 9810 chasis and all kinds of deals show up. Here's one for $24.93 from a USA seller with $3.99 shipping. NEW OEM Chassis SILVER Full Housing parts for Blackberry TORCH 9810 AT&T TMOBILE | eBay

Seriously, that's the way to go. Use the backup one as a side project for the future...save your time and bite the bullet.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 12-11-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added bit about data backup
    Thanked by:
    bobzda (12-11-2012) 
    Mecca EL likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

im so confused in what to do right now, thank you for all the posts guys
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

i just watched that tutorial video, no way am i capable of doing that
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    571 Global Posts

I just watched the first 2 minutes of this one: and I most definitely think you CAN do that much. It only took four torx screws and a guitar pic or a case opener tool...ebay has those too for cheap. Replace the case bezel in reverse order. If your back battery cover needs replacing then swap on a new one. I think you could do that much in five minutes max...the screen bezel is the challenging part. OK, the screen bezel is VERY difficult...ha ha. I don't actually know what that tool is he used either, looks like a heat gun? I doubt you have one of those handy...

Here's a really good tutorial on making a black torch to white:

Ya, I think that's over your head. Next stop for you is a Torch case which hides the blemishes...soon you'll want a BB OS 10 device anyhow. There are skins available too on eBay. Stickers basically. Might work in the short term.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 12-11-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Mecca EL (12-11-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,329 Global Posts

im so confused in what to do right now, thank you for all the posts guys
    You're welcome man. If you're afraid to take your phone apart, I would get my masking tape skills sharp. Also make sure you get the correct type of paint. A water propelled paint is safer on most materials. Takes longer to dry though, but you'll have a nice looking phone.
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

Happy Holidays!!!

Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

"I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
    go1ndr likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,531 Global Posts

Here's my 2 cents! I agree with Mecca and with Wulf! If it were me, I'd buy a case. The AGF GRT Shell is about $10 on eBay and it is by far one of the best cases out there that will not break and covers the chips up completely and still looks good. I bought several of them as my wife's 9810 looks worse then yours and she did it all by herself (Mecca's laughing at me now-). You can do a lot of damage if you are not confident when working on phones and its not that you couldn't do it, but most would recommend that if you haven't done it before, not to try. YouTube videos make everything look easy-LOL.Painting--well that's not my thing either--but man a case was an easy answer as Wulf mentioned! Good luck!
    Thanked by 2:
    BigBadWulf (12-12-2012),  bobzda (12-12-2012) 
    BigBadWulf and bobzda like this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Great replies guys, yall reading my mind about the case. I was looking at case reviews, the ag one is like 30 in the UK. Not sure ofthe exchange rate maybe like $40-45. A case is the way forward, I'm a student so no bb 10 for me anytime soon . Once again great replies everyone, I'll be using these forums regularly.
    Thanked by 2:
    BigBadWulf (12-12-2012),  go1ndr (12-12-2012) 

Global Posts
    35,471 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Takes a wise man to admit his limitations.

I and many here wouldn't hesitate to tear that puppy down. I've done it too many times to count, but I also spent years repairing hi-tech equipment.

Great replies guys, yall reading my mind about the case. I was looking at case reviews, the ag one is like 30 in the UK. Not sure ofthe exchange rate maybe like $40-45. A case is the way forward, I'm a student so no bb 10 for me anytime soon . Once again great replies everyone, I'll be using these forums regularly.
    Torch 9800/9810 Covers & Gel Skins
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    go1ndr and bobzda like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,531 Global Posts

Not sure if you buy from eBay over there but check out this link for them. They are only $7.99 US but again it would be shipping etc. I don't buy much from eBay but I did buy a few of these cases as they were really built well and with the "rail" technology, the tops don't come off or break on the sliders. Thanks! New AGF Blackberry Torch 9800 9810 GRT Shell Two Piece Kit White Silver Cover US | eBay
    Thanked by:
    bobzda (12-13-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

Take a look at Decalgirl dot com or unique skins for another way to go.
    Low Speed High Drag.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

OK, Good News Bad News...

Bad News:
    I almost sent you on a wild goose chase, as neither of those list 9810 as a precut option. Unique skins does have a request line, though.

Good News:
    Ghost Armor has skin for the 9810, has good reviews, and has several finishes and if you select carbon fiber finish there are several colors to select from.
    Low Speed High Drag.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

thanks dude, will check it out
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Hey, I went with the AGF GTR case from ebay. $6 about 10 delivered to the UK, excited for it to arrive, thanks dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by go1ndr View Post
    Here's my 2 cents! I agree with Mecca and with Wulf! If it were me, I'd buy a case. The AGF GRT Shell is about $10 on eBay and it is by far one of the best cases out there that will not break and covers the chips up completely and still looks good. I bought several of them as my wife's 9810 looks worse then yours and she did it all by herself (Mecca's laughing at me now-). You can do a lot of damage if you are not confident when working on phones and its not that you couldn't do it, but most would recommend that if you haven't done it before, not to try. YouTube videos make everything look easy-LOL.Painting--well that's not my thing either--but man a case was an easy answer as Wulf mentioned! Good luck!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    818 Global Posts

Default Flaking paint on torch, spray paint?

Here's my disassembly video, but I only got as far as the screen because it starts to get tougher dealing with the glue there:

Sorry about the robotic voice. :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

Got a new body for my torch. Looks amazing!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flaking paint on torch, spray paint?-img-20130111-00133.jpg  
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    a colada

Did you replace it yourself?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

Nope. Got it changed by a professional

It cost me around Rs. 1700 for the whole thing. That's like $31
    CrackBerry Newbie

That looks like my phone, why can't RIM use a material the same colour all the way through...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

the new body got chipped too

got scaped along the edge of my bed
    Don't forget to press the LIKE Button Follow me on Twitter : @Rohil_ShahBL 7.1 Ultimate Hybrid
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

the new body got chipped too

got scaped along the edge of my bed
    Don't forget to press the LIKE Button Follow me on Twitter : @Rohil_ShahBL 7.1 Ultimate Hybrid
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm restoring a BB a lot so- the BB9800/9810 the worse phone to restore from my experience . Only because of the top frame replacement . Once it produced in Mexico then LCD will be glued by double-sided 3M tape all around so the chance to break the LCD itself is every 3 from 5 for beginner adn 2 from 10 for experienced person . When I restoring BB9800 I'm already taking the cost of LCD ($10) , main menu buttons with flex ($3) and front frame panel ($8) to considerations . For sure you need to order everything from China/HK in advance otherwise you will triple your cost but I buying a lots so I always have a spare . Unfortunately there is no other alternative - no nail polish , no car touch-up paint , no spray - you need the paint to be "baked" in order to get the same look as factory paint otherwise it will look ugly and will be peeled again .