Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Deathcommand
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default difference btween a 9800 and a 9810?

so i have a 9800, was just wondering whats the major difference, if any, btween the two...
    To each his own
    pin: 2614c774

Global Posts
    36,051 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

The differences are major inside:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-torch-9810-review
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask and you shall receive!

Quote Originally Posted by yungstar View Post
    so i have a 9800, was just wondering whats the major difference, if any, btween the two...
    The difference is like night and day. Between the liquid graphics, processor speed, and RAM, the phones only compare in looks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yes the 9810 has everything the 9900 has except NFC, and it has the Autofocus camera also. On the outside all you will see is the higher res screen helping to power the liquid graphics system, but on the inside it is an entirely new machine from the 9800.

CS
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

ok guys, thanks for the insight....
    To each his own
    pin: 2614c774
    CrackBerry Genius

Owned both(currently using the 9810), and I can tell you other then looks, these 2 devices are in no way similar. I hardly ever see the spinning clock any more, the touchscreen is way more accurate and is a breeze to use, Speaker volume is definitely improved, H+ as opposed to 3G, the ability to manage all those annoying panels, and the keyboard is somehow changed(can't exactly put my finger on it, but its definitely easier to type on and feels a bit different), overall speed and fluidity of the device is far superior, and you have way more internal storage space.

All things considered, I will be "driving" this device for a while. This is how the original 9800 should have been when launched.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10 > PassPort

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    Thanked by:
    Zeds (10-28-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

anyone notice the little notch beside the flash on the back of the phone? is that another microphone?
    Phones:
    Nokia 5190, Audiovox CDM8100, LG VX5200, Motorola Razr, Samsung SPH-A900, BlackBerry 8130 Pearl, BlackBerry Storm 9530, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Blackberry Torch 9810
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.

I believe it is a noise canceling mic.
    It's on the 9650 as well.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
    CrackBerry User

Can anyone please help to confirm that the Torch 9810 has Asian handwriting input?
    (I'm looking for Chinese handwriting input).

The Bold 9900 with touchscreen (incredibly) did not have handwriting input!!
    I talked one of my friends into buying the Bold 9900, and at the last minute we found out Bold 9900 has no handwriting input, which is a required feature nowadays!

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...g-input-658062
    CrackBerry Genius

Are you referring to actually writing on the screen, and having it recognize what you wrote? I Don't believe the 9800 or the 9810 support these functions, unless there is an app that I'm unaware of?

Who writes on the screen with a BB? That's something you would do on a slab phone that has no hardware keyboard. With a BB you have the best in class full qwerty hardware keyboard. No need for handwriting support.
    Last edited by homer1475; 11-02-2011 at 07:51 AM.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10 > PassPort

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    494 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
    ...Who writes on the screen with a BB? ...
    Evidently, everyone does.
    Quote Originally Posted by w0qj View Post
    ...handwriting input, which is a required feature nowadays!...
    Tim McDougald
    HayWire Racing
    Tacoma, Washington
    http://www.haywire-racing.com
    @TerribleTim68
    GoFundMe
    CrackBerry Newbie

Don't forget another major difference - lot of the apps that work on 9800 are no longer available/ported on 9810! Thanks RIM for a great upgrade!

Global Posts
    36,051 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
    Don't forget another major difference - lot of the apps that work on 9800 are no longer available/ported on 9810! Thanks RIM for a great upgrade!
    Sometimes I just have to smh. On the one hand ya'll want RIM to catch up to the competition. On the other hand you want all the third party apps instantly compatible with the more advanced OS. Give the thousands of app developers time to update, please.

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"

Global Posts
    5,277 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.

I'm rather confused. Did you make an account just to say that? because you must be REALLY bored for that. lol

And actually most of the ones i use were pushed over to OS 7 within a month..
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
    tsells likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hmm..It seems like my account has been active longer than yours, but who cares about facts! Unfortunately, don't have the kind of time like you to make over 4100 posts in 2 years here - more than 5 a day..Wonder, who's really bored?

Anyways - maybe you haven't seen this other thread - as of right now, it only spans 17 pages! - What's still unavailable on 9810

Global Posts
    36,051 Global Posts
    PIN

Not a very extensive list at this point, and few I'd consider major. Most of the thread lately seems to be about apps that need removed from the list.

Out of curiosity, how many apps are you currently lacking, and which ones?

CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWulf View Post
    Not a very extensive list at this point, and few I'd consider major. Most of the thread lately seems to be about apps that need removed from the list.

Out of curiosity, how many apps are you currently lacking, and which ones?
    Webex
    Jabber
    Citrix GoToMeeting
    LinkedIn
    Salesforce

You know, just some of the business apps....

All the above were available via App World for my old 9800....

Global Posts
    6,094 Global Posts

Webex
    Jabber
    Citrix GoToMeeting
    LinkedIn
    Salesforce

You know, just some of the business apps....

All the above were available via App World for my old 9800....
    Uh, no. The Webex app didn't even support the OS6 devices. You cannot get it from App World on a 9800 now -- it will show as unavailable.

There is no Jabber app. There are various apps which support the Jabber client, and which are available for the 9810, such as IM+.

Citrix GoToMeeting has never had an app for any BB.

The LinkedIn app has not been updated, but then again, it totally sucked on the 9800 -- among other things, you couldn't close out of it -- so what are you missing? Email LinkedIn, it's not RIM's fault that (1) the app sucks, and (2) they haven't upgraded it.

Salesforce was available on the 9800 but isn't on the 9810, so you have a point there, to the extent that this is anybody's major or essential app. But it's not RIM's fault -- email the developer.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 4
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    Thanked by:
    BigBadWulf (11-04-2011) 

Global Posts
    36,051 Global Posts
    PIN

Thank you JasW. As always, you're right on top of it.

Who knows, WebEx might work, however just like LinkedIn below:
    Download WebEx on your BlackBerry - free

Enter the email address that you use with your BlackBerry smartphone*, then click the Send App link button. You'll get an email with your download right away!
    Email:

*Supported RIM BlackBerry Devices: Bold 9700, Bold 9000, Storm 9550, Storm 9500, Curve 8900, Tour 9630 with operating system 4.6 or higher and access to 3G or WiFi networks.
    Download free app to join WebEx meetings on your BlackBerry

I did find the site for the Jabber app, and it looks to be supported through OS6. Instead of relying on App World, maybe the OS6 app will work fine.
    https://download.webexconnect.com/ja...coJabberIM.jad

Citrix GoToMeeting I see discussed as possibly being made available for the PlayBook, but no mention of ever being a BlackBerry app.

LinkedIn:
    Supported Devices: Tour, Bold, Curve, Storm, Pearl (OS 4.3.0 or higher)
    LinkedIn for BlackBerry
    I bet it sucked on the 9800.

Salesforce is another that can be obtained directly:
    Download - salesforce.com
    However:
    REQUIRED OS:

The BlackBerry Operating Systems supported include versions 4.3, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 5.0, and 6.0.
    So it may not work correctly on OS7, and:
    * Series 95xx (Storm) and Series 98xx (Torch) utilize the exact same Salesforce CRM Mobile software as other BlackBerry devices. As such, some aspects of Salesforce CRM Mobile are not optimized for the touch interface.
    Which tells me it probably wasn't the best app on a 9800 either.

I did hear from a few friends with 9810s the frustration, picking them up on the day they released. It was echoed by those with 9900/9930s. That faded quickly, as the app developers caught up. It was the same with prior BlackBerry releases, such as the 9700, and no different than being an early Windows upgrader.

On a side note, I doubt many serious business professionals operate purely from their BlackBerry, no matter how much they're a committed fanboi.