Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AVPTI
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,115 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can you run a 9810 without data plan?

I was thinking about handing down my 9810 to my little son after my switch to BB10. Now I don't want to shell out $30 more for another data plan, especially since I think he's still to young to handle a data plan in a responsible manner.
    We have AT&T and I wonder if he can run the 9810 for calls and text only without being forced into an automatic data plan upgrade as soon as I stick his SIM card into my old phone and power it up.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

Pretty sure phone and text will work without a data plan.

And I'm pretty sure you can also parental block certain features, such as the browser, so he can't upgrade his plan himself.
    XoXoXo
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,115 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Default Re: Can you run a 9810 without data plan?

Well I was mainly afraid of AT&T actually slapping a data plan on me as soon as I power up the phone with his old SIM card in there. Has that ever happened to anyone?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts

AT&T will require a data plan for any BlackBerry (or smartphone) activated on their network after Sept 2009. There's no way around it. If you do not add a data plan, they will add the highest plan automatically.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

I believe T-Mo is the only US carrier that will allow a BB without a data plan.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security." -Benjamin Franklin
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,115 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

So I may just sell it then. What a shame. My 9810 still has no scratch after almost 2 years of use. Still looks like new.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,937 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    AT&T will require a data plan for any BlackBerry (or smartphone) activated on their network after Sept 2009. There's no way around it. If you do not add a data plan, they will add the highest plan automatically.
    Wow, if that is true, that is pretty bad. I'm on Rogers and I have been free to switch from phone to phone. Maybe because I'm using their Prepaid service. It's funny because one time I called in and they thought I was still using an old Samsung dumbphone, when I was actually using a BB.

The only thing is that everytime my BB tries to use data and I'm not connected through WiFi, I get a text saying "you or an app are trying to access internet on your device, for internet access options go here: ____".
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,115 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I may just go to the store and tell them that I want to give my 9810 to my son and I insist on for it to run without an additional data plan since all three lines I have are out of contract and I don't HAVE to keep those three lines with AT&T for almost 170 bux a month. You know there is still competition out there...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    944 Global Posts

If you call ATT and tell them you do not want any data to go through that line you should be set, we have had it turned off on phones on our plan in the past. But also it will need a new SIM caed because the 9810 is H+ and a 3G SIM card will not work in th phone. Good luck!
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts

Good luck with that.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,937 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rjkolo View Post
    If you call ATT and tell them you do not want any data to go through that line you should be set, we have had it turned off on phones on our plan in the past. But also it will need a new SIM caed because the 9810 is H+ and a 3G SIM card will not work in th phone. Good luck!
    Can't you just use 2G then? I don't use data and I actually turned off H+ all together. I actually found it was draining my battery quite a bit more.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    Everyone says that, WIND and Mobi will tell you, you need bb data to use a bb. Just put a sim in there, they have no way of knowing you won't get BIS but w.e

I've had prepaid berries before with only reg. data and no bbm.

They can't add something automatically unless you agreed to it, no contract no cause of action.

L2p the game of law.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,226 Global Posts

By activating the device on their network, you agree to their terms.

AT&T regularly does IMEI sweeps and they can tell what kind of device is active.

But again, good luck with that.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    944 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4life View Post
    Can't you just use 2G then? I don't use data and I actually turned off H+ all together. I actually found it was draining my battery quite a bit more.
    I won't work....the H+ card will sork backwards in an older device, but the older SIM cards will not work in the phone, I tried my 3G card when I went from the 9800 to the 9810. If you don't believe me just try it, grab his SIM and stick it kn there...
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,115 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

So best is just to sell it on eBay?