Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By go1ndr
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Best OS version to run for Wifi Hotspot??

Hi all,

It has been a little while since I posted around here. I have been running 7.1.0.378 for probably 6-8 months, which used to work great for Wifi Hotspot. This is probably the principal feature I am using my phone for, aside from making calls and texting. What I find of late, is that wifi hotspot does not want to work anymore when I am in my home town. As soon as I drive north to Portland, it will generally work, but not in my home town, or any other town that I typically frequent. I am not sure what makes the difference. Also, my phone has been crashing here and there, or going into mode where no one I cannot hear people when I call them, though they can hear me. Quite annoying. A battery pull usually resolves this, but it is getting old...

So, all this said, I think it might be time for an OS upgrade, and am hoping for some advice. Main thing I am after, is reliable wifi hotspot, and hopefully a more reliable phone. Any advice appreciated!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Default Re: Best OS version to run for Wifi Hotspot??

I should probably mention that I am on at&t, and have purchased some kind of tethering option through my company. I know in the past, I have had problems with wifi hot spot that were at&shmee related.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I went ahead and loaded 7.1.0.825, which appears to be working fine so far. I can enable hotspot, and it works at home. There does not appear to be any problem with AT&T. Everything else seems smooth as well. I should have done this long ago.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,545 Global Posts

Good to hear you have solved the problem. Sorry someone couldn't get to you with the info sooner. .825 is the latest and seems to be a very solid build. The advantage to the old Mobilicity .378 was that it didn't charge for the hotspot and you didn't need to set it up with AT&T. Those that used it for free were always aware that AT&T could adventually see it, if too much data was use so the thought of ATT looking over you shoulder was a pain.

Your setup is legit with your AT&T plan and any of the current OS's should have no issues with it. .746 from either Cincinnati Bell or Mobilicity also work very well . I personally use the Mobilicity .746 (I'm on AT&T) but do not use the hot spot feature and won't get the plan as I am on an unlimited grandfathered data plan that I don't want to lose.That's exactly why the old .378 was a nice OS to have for people like me. That said, the improvements since .378 are mind-boggling and light years ahead of the the older OS's. Good luck with it.
    Thanked by:
    musiclover7 (02-25-2013) 
    musiclover7 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks go1ndr! When you say the improvements are mind-boggling with .825 vs .378, can you maybe give a brief overview of what has been improved. I loaded it up, and have been using mobile hotspot successfully everywhere I go, which is a huge improvement. Aside from that, I cannot really see anything different in the OS, at least that sticks out. Of course, I have only been using it for a day. Still, I would love a breakdown if it is not too much trouble. Thanks again!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I see I have some new call behavior menus under options, that I do not recall seeing in other versions. Things like call forwarding.. etc. This looks cool.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,545 Global Posts

HiMusiclover7,
    Thanks for the "thanks and likes"! Much appreciated!What I noticed the most was the speed of the browser and when opening fileslike pdf's for instance. I'd say the improvements were as follows in my opinionfrom the 7.1.694 (though I didn’t really like .694 honestly) build and up:

· Much better battery life
    · Browser speed faster
    · Not a lot of checker boarding that I'venoticed
    · Application opening speed faster like PDF’sand Word Docs.
    · Newer version of Docs To Go comes with thebuilds (RIM bought them I read) and is much improved
    · NO MIC ISSUES! (a real problem for all 4xxand 5xx OS's-though not an issue with the .378/.391 versions-started with 4xx)
    · Map programs load and run faster (though Idon't use a lot)
    · No hourglass (at least on the .746 builds)
    · New Advanced Systems Settings which includebut aren’t limited to:
    · Added battery resource Monitor
    · Blackberry Device Analyzer which includeall types of dialogistic programs
    · Added--Application Resource Monitor
    · Added--Multiple LED colors for contacts,etc.
    · Added (I think) Screen Lock with Slider(can’t remember if it was on earlier OS’s)
    I'msure there are some things I missed and some that mean nothing to anyone unlessyou need it, but the OS is just over all better. If you think about it, every timea new or leaked OS comes out, it has one main purpose and that is to improveover its predecessor. So, most of the time (with the exception of the 4xx and5xx builds) the newest one is always better than the one it's replacing. Hopethis helps and thanks again for the “likes/thanks” !

Thanked by:
    musiclover7 (02-26-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Default Re: Best OS version to run for Wifi Hotspot??

I wonder why they got rid of the battery analyzer. Other than this, you are right... .825 is a huge improvement.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

They didn't get rid of BlackBerry Device Analyzer. You have to go into options>device and hold the "alt" key and type "bbda". this will activate the Device Analyzer.
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.3.0.1130
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,831 Global Posts
    PIN
    333BCCA7

I'm on 794 and get tons of hourglasses. Delay is sometimes 20 seconds or more. Wondering if 825 may help, but above you've mentioned no hourglass on 746. Don't want to waste my time if little to no improvement.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,545 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonty12 View Post
    I'm on 794 and get tons of hourglasses. Delay is sometimes 20 seconds or more. Wondering if 825 may help, but above you've mentioned no hourglass on 746. Don't want to waste my time if little to no improvement.
    Jonty12, I'm using the Mobilicity .746 and I hardly ever have an hourglass, and if I do see one, it only lasts a second. I haven't downloaded .825 as it came out shortly after the .746 and didn't want to move up unless there was something really different and there wasn't. I will say that when I had the Cincinnati Bell .746 on my 9810, I did in fact have some hourglasses that lasted maybe 10-15 seconds and it is annoying. If fact now that I think about it, back last year when I had the Mobilicity .378 on my phone, it didn't have any hourglasses either--first noticed them again when I got the AT&T .694--LOL, may be a "Bell" thing, but not a Mobilicity thing--
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by newcollector View Post
    They didn't get rid of BlackBerry Device Analyzer. You have to go into options>device and hold the "alt" key and type "bbda". this will activate the Device Analyzer.
    I wonder why I did not think of that?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by newcollector View Post
    Still.. I did that, but I cannot figure out how to access the analyzer. Specifically, the one that showed my usage as a graph over time, and told me what app was eating what.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

Open options > device hold alt+ type "bbda" then go to advanced system settings and it will be there
    Don't forget to press the LIKE Button Follow me on Twitter : @Rohil_ShahBL 7.1 Ultimate Hybrid
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Quote Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
    Still.. I did that, but I cannot figure out how to access the analyzer. Specifically, the one that showed my usage as a graph over time, and told me what app was eating what.
    You may have to go options>device>advanced system settings then hold "alt" and type "bbda". There should be a pop up window that says BBDA has been optimized or something like that. Back out of options then go right back in options>device>advanced system settings. BlackBerry Device Analyzer should be the last option of those listed.
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.3.0.1130
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb