Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By go1ndr
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Thumbs down Battery life query-mine is awful!

I charged up my battery overnight and within an hour after three brief calls (all voicemail messages) it went down one bar.
    Charged up thi afternoon to 90% No calls or texts but looked up facebook, added an entry , prob on there no more than 10 mins. now battery already down to 60%
    I know I can't expect brilliant battery life compared to my previous Bold 9700 but surely this is not acceptable? What can I do to improve this? I hv Bluetooth and WiFi off, it turns off automatically overnight, FB and weather apps only refreshes manually.
    CrackBerry Addict

Maybe it's bluetooth? My battery lasts all day with heavy use and then some. What OS do you have? Upgrade to .540 if you haven't already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

I'm on my second 9810 and running .540 and get 7 hours at best between charges.

My 9810 runs WiFi and Bluetooth all day long. Light use will get me near 2 full days on a single charge. Even heavy usage still gets me through a day.

Press and hold the menu key to be sure there is not an app running that you do not know. Turn screen brightness down as far as possible. And OS .540 looks to be pretty good, too.

If still trouble come back and tell us your current OS and last installed apps. Maybe there is some other issue to consider.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Bluetooth is off already.
    I hv v 7.0.0.296 but it says it's up to date when I check for updates on the phone itself. How do I update it?
    CrackBerry Addict

Mine is on TMO stock OS and under moderate usage, it last me 1.5 days. I usually make a long few calls 20 mins per day. So yours sound like battery issue or need OS update.

Not sure what is AT&T newest OS, but you can use any other newer OS for other carrier. Make saure to follow how to. Instructions are available already with a few click in search section.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

I am finding a bit of a quick drain the past two days. I have downloaded no new apps or anything else, so this looks that perhaps some of us are experiencing some issue that from time to time just seems to occur. I know that sounds odd, but I have seen posts in the past about poor battery life for a while that coincide with mine being poor as well. Gremlins, perhaps?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Oh and when I press and hold menu button, icons for home, browser, phone, messages and BBM come
    Not sure which app was the last to be installed. How do I find that out?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

To be honest I'd be happy if iced just get thru the day without a dead phone. Two days on a single charge would be brilliant!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

I'm running stock .439 from Tmo with blue tooth and wifi on all day. It lasts most of the day. I normally plug in for about 30 minutes during dinner and get a full charge back. I have no issues with it. Coming from the HTC Sensation where I had to charge every 4 to 6 hours and barely used the phone for fear of losing the charge...I'm happy. I love playing on the BB now. I'm constantly on FB, BBW, texting and do some browsing here and there. So to me the battery life is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SofisiCat View Post
    Oh and when I press and hold menu button, icons for home, browser, phone, messages and BBM come
    Not sure which app was the last to be installed. How do I find that out?
    No extra apps running. Screen illumination down low?

Otherwise maybe try a different battery if you can borrow one from someone. Your experience seems really extreme.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sedalia066 View Post
    Press and hold the menu key to be sure there is not an app running that you do not know.

I knew about the switch applications, but did not know about the press and hold menu key. I love the new little tricks you learn reading these forums...lol.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I would definitely upgrade that OS. There are instructions all around here, but I will put them below. Download latest .540 from the sticky at the top of the forum. Mega-Uploads link works best. Then follow these instructions.

1) Install Blackberry Desktop Manager if you have not installed one
    2) Download the leaked OS
    3) Run the leaked OS installer once downloaded
    4) Find the vendor.xml file under the following locations and delete it

a) "C:\Users\<UserID>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML\"

b) "C:\Program Files(X86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader\"

5) Connect your Blackberry using USB cable
    6) Start Desktop manager and it should prompt you for an upgrade available.
    CrackBerry Addict

I changed my screen setting to turn off at 20 sec instead of 30 second, might make a difference since the screen turns off sooner between uses.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Two big battery killers are streaming media and leaving a gps program running. Even playing music from a storage card will go through battery fairly quickly. I don't usually do any of those things, so battery life isn't an issue. I've been going now for 9 hours. The battery is at 80%. No worries.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,419 Global Posts

Default battery drain

Here's a funny FYI! I downloaded an app called "Battery Saver Free" from app world that was really rated highly, this morning. I get good battery life--normally from 6am to 11pm it still shows 30% to 40% with average usage, but I thought I'd try this easy to use app.

You download it and there is no set up, etc--it just works behind the scenes and is supposed to optimize the battery performance. So, I downloaded it at the office around 10:00 this morning. It is now 3:55pm (6 hrs) and the battery is down to 56% and dropping quickly. Nothing else is running so it has to be this Battery Saver that is becoming a Battery killer. Anyone else have this experience? LOL Dumping it tonight!
    utternutter likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Ok I have downloaded the update, turned off GPS (by turning "Location" off) and what a vast improvement. down to 75% since 8am this morning.
    Can anyone clarify what I wld use gps location for apart from maps?
    Will try it with Bluetooth on tomorrow and see what that results in.
    Thanks for your input guys!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Oh, and also I turned off wi if, turned brightness down from 60 to 30 and timeout from 30 to 20.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

Mine is getting crazy as well!
    CrackBerry Master

Not everything shows up the Switch Applications window. I run Network Traffic Control but it doesn't show up. Open the Options app and go to Device->Application Management, then swipe left to see CPU usage. Now tap CPU:Now and change it to Today. I've always tolerated NTC's admittedly high CPU usage. What I didn't know was that the T-Mo MyAccount app was running a close 2nd, even though I wasn't actively running the app and it didn't show up in Switch Applications. When I deleted MyAccount my battery life literally doubled.
    Thanked by 2:
    757EliasHZ (11-30-2011),  utternutter (11-25-2011) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Battery savers

I too am now all of teh sudden having some battery drinage issues on my 9810 Torch 2. I am surprised that no one advised setting auto off and auto on. I find that these are great battery savers. Turning off wi-fi and bluetooth will help as well as setting soical feeds to update at larger intervals. If you are in a a bad cell area, this will also drain teh battery rather quickly. Never leave the phone in a very hot or very cold car.

For a memory restorer from the home screen hold teh alt key and type LGLG. It will bring up a log. jit the menu button and select clear log. You will get a lot of memory back.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

It is my experience that low battery use comes from users who can't stop dicking with their device, and who also ignore oppurtunities to recharge throughout the day. Such as being somewhere whare there are chargers, they aren't using their phones, but refuse to plug it in. My battery life increasesas newness wears off.