Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By eve6er69
  • 1 Post By Mecca EL
  • 1 Post By go1ndr
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9810 and GPS Navigator

Hello folks,
    I have searched but cannot find results, so I'll ask here. I have a BB Torch 9810 with Bell network. I have installed the GPS Navigator app. It will only work for awhile, then will stop working. It is not the GPS that's the problem, it's the app. It will work maybe for the first 2 or 3 times that I use it. Then the next time I start the app, I will use the Drive To feature, enter the address, and then the app will return to the home screen (the app home screen) instead of to the navigation screen. The only workaround that I have figured is to uninstall and then reinstall the app, and then it will again work for the first few times. Needless to say, that is a royal pain. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Also, the reason I am using that particular app is that the cost of GPS activation includes any data used by the app, so I don't get charged for data usage incurred by the maps. Is it only GPS Navigator that's free?? Thanks to all for any input.

GC
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,087 Global Posts

Default 9810 and GPS Navigator

There is bbtraffic. It does not have a map of your directions rather it is the wording and spoken text telling you when to turn etc...

I use it all the time and have no issues with it

Sent from my game boy color
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    David in Durham likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,329 Global Posts

BBTraffic works great and it's a free native app.
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

Happy Holidays!!!

Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

"I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
    David in Durham likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,541 Global Posts

Ditto on the BB Maps and BBTraffic, and you could also download Google Maps which works well on 9810's. For those that say it can't be done, not so. For 7.1 OS's and down, you can go to the Google site for maps and download the newest 4.x version. I use it all the time when I'm in a rental car on business or walking around a citiy. For Google download, go to: Download Google Maps (Blackberry)
    Mecca EL likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

I also use BB Traffic and find it works well.
    CrackBerry Master

You might try working with Bell Mobility to see if it's an activation issue with GPS Navigator. Maybe it's stuck in some kind of trial mode that is reset every time you reinstall.

BB Traffic is a great navigation app, but it's very data hungry -- like 1.5MB for a half hour drive. By comparison Garmin Mobile ($), which I also use, consumes much less data for spoken directions with maps.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,541 Global Posts

I like BBTraffic/Maps but like Google Maps better if i use the GPS on the phone. I also use Poynt once in a while. Mostly in my car, I use the car's nav which makes sense but every now in then when in a rental, or someone else's car, I will go to either BB Maps or Google Maps. Also have Map Quest but I don't think it's as good. Good point Huber--I wonder how much data Google Maps uses?? I'll have to put it on and check it out via Adv_OS and LED app. You are correct that BBTraffic eats up the data! I have unlimited but still watch it to see what app does what to the memory, etc.