Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9810 chips like crazy

Having been a lifetime BOLD user I decided to try something different and upgraded to a 9810. Love the phone, screen, everything and am glad I choose this one. If I had one complaint its that this is by far the cheapest made bb I have ever owned in terms of how rough it already looks, and its only been 3 months!
    Admittedly I am probably rougher than most with my phones, but this thing is already chipped and scuffed more than my old 9700 is that I owned for 2 years.
    Maybe its cause there silver and not black??? lol
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,241 Global Posts
    PIN
    K. 27F3DC2E put cb in request

Could you post a picture of your 9810's current condition if possible?
    gee gee baby~
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by lc474 View Post
    If I had one complaint its that this is by far the cheapest made bb I have ever owned in terms of how rough it already looks,
    I have the same thing with my 9810, but I come to the opposite conclusion. This thing is tough and durable. Apparently, RIM decided to play a cruel joke on ME and coat my phone in Teflon, because I've dropped this phone more than all others I've owned combined. And I'm not talking about little drops, I'm talking 6 foot falls onto concrete, or the time it flung from my jacket pocket and skidded across the street as I got out of my car. I've beat the heck out of this phone. The bezel is chipped and dented, the back is scratched and dinged, this phone has taken a beating. I probably should get a cover and/or screen protector, but still prefer to go naked.

With all of that, it still works awesome. I love this phone. The slider works perfect (no wobble), the keys are great and the screen is still pristine. I say not cheap at all.... tough and durable.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by marcho11 View Post
    I have the same thing with my 9810, but I come to the opposite conclusion. This thing is tough and durable. Apparently, RIM decided to play a cruel joke on ME and coat my phone in Teflon, because I've dropped this phone more than all others I've owned combined. And I'm not talking about little drops, I'm talking 6 foot falls onto concrete, or the time it flung from my jacket pocket and skidded across the street as I got out of my car. I've beat the heck out of this phone. The bezel is chipped and dented, the back is scratched and dinged, this phone has taken a beating. I probably should get a cover and/or screen protector, but still prefer to go naked.

With all of that, it still works awesome. I love this phone. The slider works perfect (no wobble), the keys are great and the screen is still pristine. I say not cheap at all.... tough and durable.
    yeah i guess that's one way to look at it..lol. ive dropped mine only 4 times so far, and still works great too.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

Mine too has got chipped off a lot

Like the area around the screen

Its quite durable
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,241 Global Posts
    PIN
    K. 27F3DC2E put cb in request

Well replace the whole housing or cover it up with a case if you want that bling torch.
    gee gee baby~
    CrackBerry Newbie

I use the old 9800 since it is sold in Germany and I also mistreated it really a lot! At least 2 times I let it fall down to the street while riding a bike: and apart from some crappy noise from the Keyboard, everything still works just fine even if the beezels are full of scratches! So: not beautifull anymore, but durable
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Get an agf grt case and call it a day...
    CrackBerry User

I have to agree with you that it is a tough phone. Dropped mine plenty of times already too. Tried a few cases and didn't like the extra bulk.
    CrackBerry User

Two months of use with my Igrip holder for the Truck, has worn a spot down to the black undercoat. I use this holder everyday which is why I don't have a case....I also have many chips on the top as well.

Oh well...I'm not in a position where I need a show phone but damm.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,893 Global Posts

Sounds like the phone is durable but can get scratched up if it is naked. I've been wanting this device for a long time now. Glad to hear that it can take a beating. But I will be putting a case on mine if I ever am able to get one. Verizon needs to carry this device like yesterday.
    Thanked by:
    xXBLACKBERRYXx5 (04-25-2012) 
    xXBLACKBERRYXx5 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    ask and you shall receive

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    Sounds like the phone is durable but can get scratched up if it is naked. I've been wanting this device for a long time now. Glad to hear that it can take a beating. But I will be putting a case on mine if I ever am able to get one. Verizon needs to carry this device like yesterday.
    bizarre that they dont,,,have you ever called one of their service reps or gone by a store and asked them why the dont?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by alexandros2011 View Post
    bizarre that they dont,,,have you ever called one of their service reps or gone by a store and asked them why the dont?
    It is because the 9810 will not work on the ZVW network:

The 9810 is a GSM based device - AT&T and TMOB are GSM networks - VZW and Sprint are CDMA networks.

When you see other BB devices (9900 series, for example) available from all carriers, it is because RIM developed different versions of the device to support both network architectures.

The 9810 is only manufactured by RIM for the GSM space.
    Z10 with 10.2.1.1925 - work and personal
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    PIN

My device has got chipped off a lot x_x

All the copper beneath the paint can be seen
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by rgshah3 View Post
    My device has got chipped off a lot x_x

All the copper beneath the paint can be seen
    Yes... I, too have a silver, black and copper phone. But it still works great; especially with 7.1.

Such a good phone. I really hope that RIM puts out a BB10 version of if eventually.
    CrackBerry Addict

The phone is excellent. I think that it is the best of the BB line now - even more than the 9900. However, they made a error in the materials for the phone. One thing that the bold has which is nice is that the stainless steel surround band is also extends above the screen. Which means that it is not chippable as easily. On the 9810 and the 9800, the enamel finish is on the edge above the screen (which gets chipped all the time). I hope they think about this the next time.

That said - it is always possible to re-case the phone. Just expensive and difficult.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

I have the same thing with my 9810, but I come to the opposite conclusion. This thing is tough and durable. Apparently, RIM decided to play a cruel joke on ME and coat my phone in Teflon, because I've dropped this phone more than all others I've owned combined.
    I have had the same problem. I liked the rubberized back of my Torch 9800. It was much easier to hold on to. My 9810 (in white) is slippery and I have dropped it several times and in the corners the paint is chipped so it looks a little ragged.

Now unlike the iPhone where the glass goes to the screen edge and cracks easy if you drop it. I would much rather have the paint chip than the glass break.
    CrackBerry Genius

What Is the upper bezzle around the screen made of ? Is it plastic or metal ?? The lower bezzle looks like it is made of plastic but not sure.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by nfsw View Post
    What Is the upper bezzle around the screen made of ? Is it plastic or metal ?? The lower bezzle looks like it is made of plastic but not sure.
    Both plastic. The only metal in the device is the screws and some on the motherboard.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    Thanked by:
    nfsw (03-18-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
    Both plastic. The only metal in the device is the screws and some on the motherboard.
    Are you sure the bezel is plastic? Mine has a massive chip in the corner, I bought it that way, and it look like metal to me. I will upload a photo as evidence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9810 chips like crazy-img-20120318-00070.jpg  
    CrackBerry Addict

The frame around the screen has to be made of a metal mix or cheap aluminum. Reason why i say this, that part of the phone is always cold. Second reason is the chipping of paint.

I have always used a leather holster for my phone but for some reason i have a few small small chips as well.
    Please sign this petition to bring Netflix to BlackBerry. Help your BlackBerry brothers and sisters.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...berry-devices#
    CrackBerry Genius

I've torn enough of these device apart(9800 and 9810) to know they are plastic. The chipped paint and black color should be a dead giveaway that its plastic. If it were aluminum or metal it would be silver in color after the paint chipped off. On the inside of the bezel its stamped ABS something(forget the exact stamping). ABS denotes abs plastic.

There's a thread in the 9800 section where someone painted there housing using krylon paint specifically designed for plastic. Just have a look at truesupplier, every part other then the slide rail mechanism is plastic. 9800 and 9810 are exactly the same device parts wise, so you'll have to look at the 9800 parts on truesupplier.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    CrackBerry User

I stand corrected, it does 'look' like metal where the chip is, the picture does no justice. Either way, I really don't care what it's made of, as long as it doesn't break.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rkonert View Post
    I stand corrected, it does 'look' like metal where the chip is, the picture does no justice. Either way, I really don't care what it's made of, as long as it doesn't break.
    Take a knife(used an exacto myself to cut off a ding) and cut the bezel, if it were metal you wouldn't be able to cut into it, being plastic you can cut a piece off it.
    Cell Phone History:

CrackBerry User

Now I am really confused. Curiousity got the best of me and I tried your knife trick. I could scrape off some of the material, but definitely couldn't cut into it. Just for fun I took out the battery and tested for conductivity and it conducts, weakly. Could they have changed the case materials? Or am I just losing my mind, which is completely possible.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast