Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9800 vs. 9810

Howdy all,

I have the 9800 and like many others am waiting for the 9900 on AT&T, but as I wait I am wondering if there is really much difference in the 9800 and 9810 that may make me get the 9800 to try it for work before the 9900 comes out (one of the perks of my job is I can more often than most buy use a little and move on to the next).

So, a question for those that have had the 9810 a while now, is it much different, thus better than the 9800?

For those that have one, is the 9900 much different, thus that much better than the 9810?

Thanks for your replies,

Ciao,

- Bob
    CrackBerry Addict

9810 is pretty much better then the 9800 in everyway. Twice as fast with 8GB of memory build in. I had the 9800 and the 9810 is a lot quicker all around and very good especially for the $50 price tagi want a 9900 also but I'm going ot use the 9810 until the 9900 comes out and may just stay with it. But it's better then the 9800 in everything since the processor is double the speed. Not sure when the 9900 is coming to AT&T but 9810 is good to have until then

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts
    PIN
    2811b06c

I was with my brother, a long time BlackBerry fanatic and 9800 owner, the other night. We were at a location without WiFi, and we were both fiddling around with our browsers. My brother was amazed at how much faster my device was. Side by side, the 9810 blows the 9800 away.

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by barskin View Post
    I was with my brother, a long time BlackBerry fanatic and 9800 owner, the other night. We were at a location without WiFi, and we were both fiddling around with our browsers. My brother was amazed at how much faster my device was. Side by side, the 9810 blows the 9800 away.

Forgot to mention how much faster the broswer is like you said. I'm mainly happy the browser doesn't crash all the time like it did on my 9700.

CrackBerry User

The 9810 is absolutely everything the 9800 SHOULD have been when it was released. Its is faster in every way including opening apps, viewing pictures, swiping through menu's- EVERYTHING. Consider it a 9800 with a turbo or supercharger that gave it a boost of speed and power.

J

Quote Originally Posted by jjuradojr View Post
    The 9810 is absolutely everything the 9800 SHOULD have been when it was released. Its is faster in every way including opening apps, viewing pictures, swiping through menu's- EVERYTHING. Consider it a 9800 with a turbo or supercharger that gave it a boost of speed and power.

J
    ^^^^This. Faster in every way. The more I use it, the less I wonder if I should have waited for the 9900 on at&t. My only complaint is the slowness of apps to be upgraded for OS7. But I'm not a huge app-fiend, so it's not a big complaint.
    Ed

Ursus moderatus levisomnus.
    CrackBerry Addict

Ditto on everyone's comments. The 9810 is noticeably improved from the 9800 in every way (except that battery door on the silver version ).

My only complaint is a few favorite apps that are still missing for OS7 (PatternLock).
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,096 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJMullins View Post
    So, a question for those that have had the 9810 a while now, is it much different, thus better than the 9800?

For those that have one, is the 9900 much different, thus that much better than the 9810?
    Everything is much faster and vastly snappier on the 9810 than the 9800 because of the virtual doubling in processor speed, HSPA+ (faux 4G), and liquid graphics. So there is none of the lag that was omnipresent in the 9800 when, e.g., swiping icon screens and the like. The dreaded black clock appears far less frequently -- no longer does the phone completely freeze or lag drastically when you are downloading an app in App World or when the device is scanning media on the SD card after a reboot. (The boot up time is an awful lot faster as well.) It also has HD video. I could go on, but it is superior to the 9800 in every which way.

As to the 9900, it is NOT "better" than the 9810. That is a perception that has been perpetuated by those deeming it the "flagship" BlackBerry. It is merely a modernized, esthetically updated (i.e., slim) take on the traditional BB form factor.

While it does have a more commodious keyboard, the ONLY thing the 9900 really has over the 9810 in terms of specs is NFC -- which as of right now, is a basically useless feature, at least in the United States. Otherwise, the specs are more or less identical. Both the 9900 and the 9810 have the same 640 x 480 screen resolution, although since the 9900 has a smaller, half-screen, it has a higher PPI. But it still is a half-screen, sitting in dedicated landscape mode, and as such, brings one a limited touchscreen experience. The 9810, on the other hand, has a larger, full screen, and thus can work as a full touchscreen device.

Also, as has been discussed and debated ad nauseam, the EDoF lens camera on the 9900 was a compromise to achieve slimness on the device. The 9810 retains a superior auto-focus lens camera.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 4
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Abuser

My advice would be to go to an ATT store and simply look at the display. The 9810 is just gorgeous. I got mine the day they went on sale at ATT and the rep there had a 9800 that he personally used. He hadn't had a chance to see the 9810 much and assumed it wasn't a big upgrade. He was nearly shocked at the improvements.

This is a book/cover thing. There is a huge difference. and on a side note... I don't know if a camera is important to you... but the 9810's camera is amazing.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Thanks all, I picked up my 9810 today, then headed into a few hours of meetings so just getting quality time with it now. I have to agree it is far above the 9800 in every aspect, except one... I have a 2011 Ford Edge and always have my BB on the console, so the first turn I took the phone slid off on the the passenger side floor and stayed there until I could stop and pick it up, not sure I like the slick "metal" back, but everything else so far makes up for this small issue.

I did tell my Rep to keep my pre-order for the 9900 (when he can) so I will be able to compare both myself.

Now I will go in search of a speed test app to see what speeds I am getting in the Mpls area.

Again, thanks!

- Bob
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

Order a 9800 battery cover on Amazon, costs around $5.00. I love mine.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJMullins View Post
    Thanks all, I picked up my 9810 today, then headed into a few hours of meetings so just getting quality time with it now. I have to agree it is far above the 9800 in every aspect, except one... I have a 2011 Ford Edge and always have my BB on the console, so the first turn I took the phone slid off on the the passenger side floor and stayed there until I could stop and pick it up, not sure I like the slick "metal" back, but everything else so far makes up for this small issue.

I did tell my Rep to keep my pre-order for the 9900 (when he can) so I will be able to compare both myself.

Now I will go in search of a speed test app to see what speeds I am getting in the Mpls area.

Again, thanks!

- Bob
    Great vehicle choice, I have a 2009 and I looove it. The best speed test method IMO is My 3G Speed | Test my iPhone, Pre, Storm speed, 3G Speed Test
    CrackBerry Abuser

big diff on speed
    Banned

can someone tell me if the 9810 virtual keyboard is actually better? i saw some screenshots comparing it to the 9800 virtual keyboard. one thing i didnt like about the 9800 virtual keyboard was that it was too cramped together and i always had typing errors. when fiddling with my sister's iphone4, typing is so easy.

i'd love it if someone can give feedback on this comparison. i have a 9900 now but missing the larger screen estate of my old 9800.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,851 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anakin1979 View Post
    can someone tell me if the 9810 virtual keyboard is actually better? i saw some screenshots comparing it to the 9800 virtual keyboard. one thing i didnt like about the 9800 virtual keyboard was that it was too cramped together and i always had typing errors. when fiddling with my sister's iphone4, typing is so easy.

i'd love it if someone can give feedback on this comparison. i have a 9900 now but missing the larger screen estate of my old 9800.
    The layout is slightly changed and it's slightly improved from the 9800. But it is more cramped than the I-Phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Man I was checking out some videos on youtube regarding the diff between the 9800 n 9810 and its awesome. The 9810 really looks like a very very nice upgrade. I, like many ppl out there, am waiting for the 9900 but I think that if the 9900 never makes it to ATT, I wouldn't mind. Ill just get the 9810 and be happy for whatever RIM brings next.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

I gotta say I've jus got mt 9810 yday and the improvements are definately worth it!

As for the overall improvemnts on the processor speed and browser speed, the fit and finish of the handset feels a lot better too!

Definately worth the upgrade!

This only difference between the 9900 and 9810 is the form factor and NFC. So its all about what you like!

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

How is the battery on the Torch 2 vs 9800?

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

It's about the same.
    BlackBerry Torch 9810 - 7.1.0.190
    BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB - 2.0.0.6149
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

How is the touch keyboard on the 9810 compared to 9800? Anyone did the upgrade and found it better or not really?

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

I find it to be slightly better. I make a lot less mistakes since they've put a larger gap in between the buttons.
    BlackBerry Torch 9810 - 7.1.0.190
    BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB - 2.0.0.6149
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Calotag View Post
    How is the touch keyboard on the 9810 compared to 9800? Anyone did the upgrade and found it better or not really?

It has a better layout but basically the same. The main thing is it's faster everywhere and the web browser is a lot quicker then 9800.

CrackBerry Addict

The 9810 is far better then the 9800

It's much smoother and faster to use.

and many people really like the silver colour
    BlackberryCodeSource.com

Current Phones Z30, Q10, iP5S, Samsung GNote 3, HTC One M8!

Can't wait for the one and only game changing......... BB Passport !!!!!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    ask me

Got my 9810 tonight so far I'm loving everything about it wayy faster overall just amazing this is exactly how the 9800 should have been in the first place but ahh what u gonna do?
    The wifi is quick connecting as for the browser def much faster loading up web pages.
    Going through the phone messing around with the camera and video its amazing can't wait to move a few DVD movies I ripped for my 9810 !! Awesome!!

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    671 Global Posts

im trying to sell my 9800, and i will buy 9810...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast