Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By go1ndr
  • 1 Post By go1ndr
  • 1 Post By Mecca EL
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,554 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default .746 to .746

Its been a while since I posted a new thread and since I just did an upgrade (more like an "Level-across the board-lateral" grade, I thought I'd post my findings in case anyone else is thinking about it.

I've had many OS builds on my 9810 since I got it a few weeks after it's release. I must say that all the upgrades I've done were either official or leaked but no hybrids (yet--Mecca). The last upgrade was from .694 (ATT) to .746 Cincinnati Bell. The Cinci buildhas been on my device since it came out in Nov (I think) and it has been a very good and stable build. That said, over the last few weeks, it seemed to be starting to degrade a little, probably due to the different programs (some beta) that I've been working with. I did a complete wipe when I had a huge battery drain in Dec, and reinstalled the OS and all was well again, but then it happened again. So with the recent history of issues, I decided to due an "even exchange" so to speak, and delete this OS and install the Mobilicity .746 release. Mobilicity had a great release in .378 and I figured that this has to be a good one as well.

So to begin the journey, I did the usual, delete the vendor.xml files if any, delete the current OS's hiding on the pc and download the new .746 to install. Nothing went as planned with this one-unfortunately! First Vendor files were popping up everywhere--like a virus had duplicated them-lol. Then when I tried to upgrade the downloaded OS, it wouldn't do it, but rather the AppLoader asked all the usual questions but then said, that no actions need to be taken and to click finish. This happened 3 times and knowing that I did everything correctly, I was lost. So the elimation process started--what did I forget to do or not do? Use BBHTools to do it, was suggested and I tried that as well but, even though BBHTools showed the newly downloaded OS it wouldn't reconize my device! Then the question was asked "did I delete the old OS or actually "Uninstall" it from my PC using the program feature on my control panel. Duh--I never uninstall them, only delete them from the files. Thank you Mecca for suggesting it! When I went into programs, I had at least 4 old OSs on there and once I deleted all of them (not new one just previous ones), all was well.

So after going back in and "uninstalling" the old OSs from the control panel on the PC, it only left the new Mobilicity OS on the PC. I opened BBHTools to make sure the new OS showed--then I opened Loader.exe and bingo it upgraded!

Findings:
    • OS runs smoothly as expected.
    • Browsing is about the same as the Cinci download
    • Speed for navigation, touch screen, etc are all about the same
    • The "4G" icon that used to be on the .378 build is gone and now says the usual H+ on top
    • The HotSpot feature is not available as it was on the .378 (guess they got wise) however it says to contact my AT&T provider to set up-which I thought was weird.
    • Battery drain (though battery is just settling in) is good/normal- in the 2-4% range.
    • mic and speaker seem to be good with no noticible issues at this time.

All in all it seems like an equal build and actually probably is. I've heard some negatives on the .794 build so I stayed away from it, but I understand an .8xx build is due out soon so that may be a winner. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else has made the switch from Cinci to Mobilicity for the .746 OS and if so, how they like it. Thanks and good luck!
    Thanked by:
    anon5129477 (04-25-2013) 
    anon5129477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default .746 to .746

Hey go1ndr,

You mentioned "no mic issues" - but have you tried it in a "bad city"? If you have only tried it in SoCal - there are no mic issues with ANY buiilds here in our home market . .

Also - with the exception of any "bloatware" added by the carrier, the Mobilicity .746 and Cinci Bell .746 should be identical.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Z10 - 10.3.1.632 - work and personal
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,554 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Hey Don,
    I just loaded it yesterday so I haven't been to any bad cities yet. Actually going to Vegas for a marketing head meeting on Sunday but will have to look to see if that is a bad city. .378 never had an issue but that was before the dreaded 4xx and 5xx builds. I have been watching the posts closely since this Mobilicity build came out last month and haven't seen anything about mic issues---and speaking with Mecca, he believes that the mic issues were gone after the first .7xx build.

What I was kind of looking for when deciding to change over, was the possibility that this build like the .378 build would have the free hotspot--But sadly it doesn't. Actually says to go to AT&T for a plan! Also missing is the cool (though useless) 4G icon from .378, where the old trusty "H+" still resides.

Honestly I was having some degrading of the Cincinnati build due to different apps with conflicting cod codes that caused issues. Mecca suggested I wipe and reload without apps and then add back one by one-which I did, but it continued to degrade--typical--hourglasses/battery drain/lagging. So going this route seemed like a good move. I will probably go with a hybrid next (Mecca's latest and greates) if this isn't solid. After today's news of the 8xx build for 9900 it shouldn't be long before its out for 9810's! Talk soon buddy, J
    Thanked by:
    anon5129477 (04-25-2013) 
    anon5129477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,400 Global Posts

.825 just dropped.
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

WWFD - What Would Far0uk Do?

Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

"I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
    Thanked by:
    go1ndr (01-18-2013) 
    go1ndr likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,554 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Mecca EL View Post
    .825 just dropped.
    Yeah! Got to tell you, this Mobilicity build of .746 is pretty sweet! low battery drain (like 2-3% or below) with average usage and more responsive than the Cincinnati Bell build. Lets see what the new .825 turns out like. Thanks buddy!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask for it.

Well, going from one Mobilicity build to another should be smooth. StarHubs update is still running very nicely on mine as well, so if .746 doesn't work out for you, I personally recommend it.
    The third fart, the judges cried, "He shat his pants, he's disqualified!"

Global Posts
    13,803 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B

There is absolutely no difference between 2 carriers' releases of the same-numbered OS. If the application version and the platform version are both the same, they are identical. The only difference could be different language packs available.

All OS's are made by RIM. The carriers don't release an OS, merely endorse it.

Also using BBHTool to load the OS only launches Loader, just the same as if you double-clicked Loader yourself in the AppLoader folder. (Same folder where you always find Vendor file.) BBHT is basically giving you a shortcut button.

And lastly, Loader will never let you "update" to the identical-number OS.
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
    Thanked by:
    go1ndr (01-19-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Default .746 to .746

Quote Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
    There is absolutely no difference between 2 carriers' releases of the same-numbered OS. If the application version and the platform version are both the same, they are identical. The only difference could be different language packs available.

I agree - and as I stated in post #2 above . .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Z10 - 10.3.1.632 - work and personal
    Thanked by:
    go1ndr (01-19-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,554 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Also using BBHTool to load the OS only launches Loader, just the same as if you double-clicked Loader yourself in the AppLoader folder. (Same folder where you always find Vendor file.) BBHT is basically giving you a shortcut button.

And lastly, Loader will never let you "update" to the identical-number OS.
    Makes sense! Thanks for the info!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,554 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by troshs View Post
    Well, going from one Mobilicity build to another should be smooth. StarHubs update is still running very nicely on mine as well, so if .746 doesn't work out for you, I personally recommend it.
    Hey Trosh! I've had a lot of different OS's between the older Mobilicity .378 and the current Mobilicity .746 on my phone. Each Mobilicity OS has been perfect. Cincinnati Bell was good to but was degrading. Hope you are doing well!

Global Posts
    13,803 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B

Quote Originally Posted by go1ndr View Post
    Makes sense! Thanks for the info!
    You're welcome! Hope I wasn't coming off as a know-it-all...

RIM releases a ton of OS builds to all carriers of the applicable device for their testing. The carrier can "release" (read: endorse) any they wish. There are many reasons why a carrier wouldn't release an OS version that have nothing to do with whether it's "good" or not.

How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

Z30

Global Posts
    13,803 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Henry View Post
    I agree - and as I stated in post #2 above . .
    Yep!
    Only thing I'd correct you on is the "bloatware" comment. Any bloatware, or _ware of any kind, is included by RIM. RIM includes programs for numerous carriers that will only appear to be present for users of that carrier.

That's one of the reasons for shrinking the OS. I don't need themes & wallpapers, let alone other apps, for other carriers on my device.

The other source of bloatware is service books. These are apps sent through or unlocked by the carrier as soon as the device is activated on the network, whether for the first time or after loading a new OS.

Z30
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,554 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

You're welcome! Hope I wasn't coming off as a know-it-all...

RIM releases a ton of OS builds to all carriers of the applicable device for their testing. The carrier can "release" (read: endorse) any they wish. There are many reasons why a carrier wouldn't release an OS version that have nothing to do with whether it's "good" or not.
    Thanks elite! The one thing I will say about this version of 746 over the Cincinnati Bell version, is that this Mobilicity build has NO hourglasses popping up every 10 minutes, and now that I think about it, the old .378 from Mobilicity didn't either. What causes some builds of the same version to have the lagging and hourglasses like the AAT and Bell builds and others not? I haven't tried .794 or the newest 8xx but this build is fast, solid and very stable so I'm not sure there is a good enough reason to change. Thanks again for your info!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

I have been running the .825 and find it to be stable, and have excellent reception and battery life.
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.3.1.1151
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    Thanked by:
    go1ndr (01-25-2013)