There are many themes for the Torch that unfortunately eliminates the Universal Search icon on your home screen (which is a great OS6 feature). But there is an easy way to create a Universal Search icon on your Torch by using an app called Shortcut Manager available here:
    ShortcutManager - Create shortcuts on the HomeScreen like email, sms, website, phone call and others - Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    This app has many uses and I especially like it for the ability to create icons like Universal Search.
    Here's a short tutorial:
    Open ShortcutManager. Click on "New Shortcut".

Set "shortcut type" to "applications", set location to "home" and then set application to: "net_rim_bb_universalsearch_app" and hit save:

You can also customize the icon like I have on these pics by following the instructions in the app:

It's actually quite easy and I just thought this might be helpful to anyone who is missing the Universal Search Icon after installing a 3rd party theme.

NOTE: You should do a battery pull after installing Shortcut Manager.
    Last edited by tellsells; 02-05-11 at 10:21 AM.
    KahneFan and AcADIeN like this.
    02-05-11 08:18 AM
    Nice write up. I have the htc incredible theme and lost uni search. The dev can't help me he said so I don't use it anymore. Thanks for the info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-11 08:55 AM
    Great tip! Thanks!
    02-05-11 09:47 AM
    I just tested this in Theme Builder and it works perfectly. I may have to start making a search button on some themes ~ or, I now I know how to add it if requested.
    02-05-11 09:54 AM
    great tip, will be able to put that on my theme
    02-05-11 10:40 AM
    So what are you doing to add this to the content of your theme rather than using ShortcutManager?
    Last edited by tellsells; 02-05-11 at 10:56 AM.
    02-05-11 10:40 AM
    You could use Six Tools and assign the mute key to the Universal Search, that's what I do and it works great....

02-05-11 11:00 AM
    You could use Six Tools and assign the mute key to the Universal Search, that's what I do and it works great....

That's actually an easier way.
    ShortcutManager is good for people who might prefer to have an icon and save their convenience keys for something else.
    02-05-11 11:04 AM
    So what are you doing to add this to the content of your theme rather than using ShortcutManager?
    1) Add Zen Item
    2) Click the button you are wanting to make your search button
    3) Towards the top of TB UN-click "Use Device Application Order"
    4) Click the little wrench/paper icon to the left of step 3
    5) "Third Party Application" should be the first highlighted option - keep that
    6) On the bottom of the screen (of step 5) in the field "Third Party Application Name", use your string "net_rim_bb_universalsearch_app"
    7) "OK"
    8) Your button should now work. However, to change the image of it...
    9) Back to the "General" section of your button list you will see "Application List [arrow]", then a button that probably looks like the BB button; click that to change your new button image to a search image (or whatnot).
    Last edited by KahneFan; 02-05-11 at 11:21 AM.
    tsells likes this.
    02-05-11 11:16 AM
    1) Add Zen Item
    2) Click the button you are wanting to make your search button
    3) Towards the top of TB UN-click "Use Device Application Order"
    4) Click the little wrench/paper icon to the left of step 3
    5) "Third Party Application" should be the first highlighted option - keep that
    6) On the bottom of the screen (of step 5) in the field "Third Party Application Name", use your string "net_rim_bb_universalsearch_app"
    7) "OK"
    8) Your button should now work. However, to change the image of it...
    9) Back to the "General" section of your button list you will see "Application List [arrow]", then a button that probably looks like the BB button; click that to change your new button image to a search image (or whatnot).
    That's great info for theme builders! Thanks.
    02-05-11 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD