A previous thread advised me to disable the data compression for your memory card as a solution for the frequent "rotating clock" he suffered.

Well, I didn't had that problem but disabled it anyway for the sake of saving battery life. Rotating clocks mean the device is doing something and need juice to do so. It's to short to tell if it indeed save some juice.

While playing BrickBreaker I always had some stuttering going on. With or without the above explained trick, it stuttered anyways. It was irritating and I did want to get rid of it.

Long story short: the cause of this was an app called: Data Monitor.
    This was causing the stuttering. I uninstalled it and the device is working smooth. BrickBreaker is again playable.

Stuttering means something doing something and using valueable juice.

So; uninstalling Data Monitor and disabeling datacompression are good things to do to speed up your device and save some juice.

If the shoe fit...
    08-13-11 09:38 PM
    Thanks for the info. Is that an app that you bought or is it some kind of hidden file we should look for?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 03:27 AM
    In all honesty, it probably has more to do with the fact your still on OS .246 more then anything.
    08-14-11 04:07 AM
    Thanks for the info. Is that an app that you bought or is it some kind of hidden file we should look for?

I bought this app. The reason for it was to keep an eye on the data activity while i'm not using my BB. This turn-out to be a non issue.
    I have a unlimited dataplan but I was looking for a reason for the "heavy" battery drain.
    08-14-11 09:04 AM
    In all honesty, it probably has more to do with the fact your still on OS .246 more then anything.
    Can't proof that you're wrong but it's a weak excuse for the problems that i mentioned. I solved one already and after today I can tell if my "solutions" have any positive effect on my bettery life.

Research the forum and learn that newer is not always better.
    08-14-11 09:12 AM
    I've had the torch since launch, 246 was one of the worst OS's(including everything in the 500 range) for battery life and spinning clock issues. When the OS is optimized to use its resources better, the spinning clock disapears as opposed to the phone always thinkink(spinning clock).

Hence why I said most of your spinning clock issues might have a lot to do with your OS version. 246 was one of the earliest builds, most carriers have something in the 500 range or 600 as their now official versions. I've been on 600 since it was a leak and have 0 spinning clock or heavy battery drain issues. It could be an app, but compounding the issue could also be your OS version. If you had searched you would also have found out that most users prefer 448 as their preffered OS. Yes newer isn't always better, but in this case it is.

Last edited by homer1475; 08-14-11 at 12:54 PM.
    08-14-11 12:50 PM
    I agree with homer. 246 was the first OS on my device and after a few months of poor preformance I upgraded to 534 and all my problems went away. I am currently 600 only because it was available. I did not find any increase in 600 over 534 but I also did not find any problems that came of it either.

08-14-11 02:37 PM
    I've had the torch since launch, 246 was one of the worst OS's(including everything in the 500 range) [...]
    I agree with homer. 246 was the first OS on my device and after a few months of poor preformance I upgraded to 534 and all my problems went away.[...]
    I was able to upgrade yo .448 (official upgrade from my carrier)
    I do agree my device needed an upgrade but I'm not able to upgrade to .600 only to the official upgrade from my carrier. (Don't ask me why: see my other thread)

Time will tell the good and the bad from .246...
    08-14-11 03:05 PM
    You can upgrade through an official leak which for your carrier is anything after .448. You can install the leaked (yet official RIM os) by following downloading tye link in the "sticky" thread at the top of this forum and by following the instructions on how to load on your phone.

08-14-11 03:47 PM
    I was able to upgrade yo .448 (official upgrade from my carrier)
    I do agree my device needed an upgrade but I'm not able to upgrade to .600 only to the official upgrade from my carrier. (Don't ask me why: see my other thread)

Time will tell the good and the bad from .246...
    ahh, you have rogers i take it.

like new said below, you can install a "leaked os" from the above sticky. a leaked OS is released from RIM directly and will not cause a problem receiving support through your carrier. some carriers are just slower in releasing their version of an official "leaked" RIM OS.

in the end, even 448 was stable and will do your device wonders. most notably for me was the battery life increase and browser choppiness but i am sure there are other optimizations as well.
    08-14-11 04:22 PM
    ahh, you have rogers i take it.

like new said below, you can install a "leaked os" from the above sticky. a leaked OS is released from RIM directly and will not cause a problem receiving support through your carrier. some carriers are just slower in releasing their version of an official "leaked" RIM OS.

in the end, even 448 was stable and will do your device wonders. most notably for me was the battery life increase and browser choppiness but i am sure there are other optimizations as well.
    No, I my carrier is Setar from Aruba. This is certainly not my first BB and I have upgraded many many times already.

Yes I downloaded the official release from AT&T and installec it on my PC. DM 6.1 does not recornize .600 neither loader.exe works like expected. Ofcourse I deleted the vendor.xml file.

However the original release from my own carrier was recornized instantly and upgrading was a snap. I'm sure I missing something and was hoping for an answer on this forum.
    08-14-11 04:51 PM
    in the end, you can be the queen of england and it still isnt going to make OS 246 better than anything after it. 246 was terrible no matter how you want to describe it.
    08-14-11 05:12 PM
    in the end, you can be the queen of england and it still isnt going to make OS 246 better than anything after it. 246 was terrible no matter how you want to describe it.
    Somebody said it was? Noticed I upgraded to .448?

Regardless the OS version, my suggested "fixes" solved problems.
    08-14-11 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD