This is a question for those of you who love the phone.

I was hot to get this phone when it came out last August, but AT&T wouldn't let me upgrade until Feb. 27. So now it's getting close to the time when I can buy it, but, six months later, I'm concerned that I'll be locking myself into a phone that will become obsolete in another six months.

I really want a slider BB. I want the keyboard, and the full screen touch screen. But will there be a new and improved Torch around the corner that I should wait for? I'm perfectly willing to keep my Bold for a while if that's the case. It's a fine phone.
    02-16-11 11:15 AM
    Only you can decide if you should take the plunge now. The Torch is presently the only slider in the BB family. If you are wanting to wait for the rumored Torch 2, it could be a long wait.

Its hindsight now, but you could have opted out of your ATT contract early, paid a slight fee (mine was $75) and you would have had the phone last year. Been loving mine since I got it. Its my first BB and it won't be my last.

But I digress. Any phone you get will be "obsolete" by the time your contract is up. If you keep waiting for the next best thing, you will never make the plunge. You will be like the guy that wants to dive in and enjoy the swim, but is afraid that the water will be warmer the next day, so he never gets wet.
    02-16-11 11:23 AM
    Here is a similar thread posted recently. Some of the comments may help you.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ge...ch-2-a-586237/

Ultimately it's your decision. Do you want it now or not? My guess is that if you wanted it last August you probably still do...so go for it. You can get a newer one later.
    02-16-11 11:26 AM
    I know it's not March yet, but it's close enough, and i've just swapped my HTC Desire HD for a brand new Torch, so yea, i did, i love it!
    02-16-11 11:54 AM
    ^ good for you!
    02-16-11 11:56 AM
    Only you can decide if you should take the plunge now. The Torch is presently the only slider in the BB family. If you are wanting to wait for the rumored Torch 2, it could be a long wait.

Its hindsight now, but you could have opted out of your ATT contract early, paid a slight fee (mine was $75) and you would have had the phone last year. Been loving mine since I got it. Its my first BB and it won't be my last.

But I digress. Any phone you get will be "obsolete" by the time your contract is up. If you keep waiting for the next best thing, you will never make the plunge. You will be like the guy that wants to dive in and enjoy the swim, but is afraid that the water will be warmer the next day, so he never gets wet.
    So there is a rumor of a "Torch II"? Hmmm.

Your last comment is a bit melodramatic, but thanks for the advice, even though it seemed to imagine me saying something I didn't say.
    02-16-11 12:20 PM
    Here is a similar thread posted recently. Some of the comments may help you.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ge...ch-2-a-586237/

Ultimately it's your decision. Do you want it now or not? My guess is that if you wanted it last August you probably still do...so go for it. You can get a newer one later.
    Thanks for the heads up on the other thread. Reading that, it looks like the Torch II is a long way off, which would mean get the Torch I now.
    02-16-11 12:23 PM
    So there is a rumor of a "Torch II"? Hmmm.

Your last comment is a bit melodramatic, but thanks for the advice, even though it seemed to imagine me saying something I didn't say.
    Not melodramatic, just having some fun with a topic that has often appeared on this forum. No offense intended.
    02-16-11 12:48 PM
    The Torch is a great phone and the web kit browser totally destroys that of your 9000. My wife has a 9700 running OS5 and the difference is night and day in favour of the Torch and not only for the better browser. OS6 is just better all around. If the Torch2 was announced you should probably wait but it's just a rumour at this point. I say go ahead and buy a Torch.
    02-16-11 07:25 PM
    I gotta agree with most of the above. The latest batch of rumored phones, including the Torch 2, probably won't be out until 3rd quarter at the earliest. That's at least 6 months you could be enjoying today's Torch, and probably no more than another 6 months after that until it's upgrade-eligible.

I came from a Bold 9000 (which I loved), and I have to echo everything pattste said above. The Torch is everything you love about the 'traditional' BB and a whole lot more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-11 07:49 PM
    I have had my Torch since launch day. I would lean toward waiting depending on how patient you since it may only be 5 or 6 months until T2 is expected. It could be as late as Black Friday this year. I would guess that ETF would be an issue if you pull the trigger now and get the T1 assuming you get it from AT&T.

02-17-11 02:42 AM
    Torch2 will take some time to come...
    may be late 2011 or even in 2012...
    so think about it.....

if you are on BB, stuck to it..
    or get a minimal BB (8520),,,,
    explore it and learn it's capabilities ....

coming bb looks promising...
    02-17-11 02:51 AM
    Just replaced my Bold with a Torch two days ago and I love it! No regrets at all
    02-17-11 04:09 AM
    T2 is still vaporware at this time. If your patient and dont want something that will be obsolete in 6 months(seriously doubt it will be, but you never know) then I would say wait for the T2. It may drop this year it may drop next year, at this point in time no one knows.

Ive had the torch since launch day and absolutely love it, wouldn't trade it in for any other phone or BB at this point in time.
    02-17-11 06:42 AM
    My advise would be to see if you can buy a Torch from somebody 1st or outright from att if your really considering the Torch2. Then let the Torch2 come out and see how ir does then upgrade if it does well and you still want it.
    The rumoured cpu upgrade would be swell if there's no heat issues. Some of the leaked os 6.1 rumours makea it look real nice but we should beable to install it on our Torchs.

02-17-11 08:22 AM
    Get it! I bought mine for .01 on Amazon, not sure what the price currently is though.

I love my Torch. I bought mine in November, but the 'newness' really hasn't worn off yet. i knew I'd like it, but I'm shocked that I'm still as facinated with it now as I was the week I got it.
    02-17-11 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD