I got my Torch yesterday and I love it- haven't found anything wrong with the OS build that came with the phone that would make me want to upgrade to a leaked OS. What are the improvements/reasons for the newer OS's?
    02-28-11 05:08 PM
    Most of the upgrades are bug fixes and things that make your Torch run better and use less battery.
    02-28-11 05:15 PM
    If it's working for you, you don't have to update it. Myself and many other posters here will strongly encourage you to update it, but it's not mandatory..

Running the update should yield large improvments to the battery life, and boot up time though. Many others have also mentioned fixes to address problems with the camera, along with some other minor improvments.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-11 05:21 PM
    Along with what has been mentioned. Their are also Hybrids, which are basically the best parts of different OSes put together to make a really good OS. Overall speed, and battery life are the main improvements for upgrading.
    02-28-11 05:25 PM
    I got my Torch yesterday and I love it- haven't found anything wrong with the OS build that came with the phone that would make me want to upgrade to a leaked OS. What are the improvements/reasons for the newer OS's?
    I never had any issues that had to be corrected, but I've been installing leaks as they come out since I got this thing. Every one of them has improved some aspect of the previous version, whether fixing a bug or generally just making it run better. I found a huge improvement in the sensitivity and accuracy of the touch screen while browsing after upgrading to .450.

Give it a week or two to get used to it and feel what works best and what maybe could be improved. You may still be perfectly content with it, or you may just get curious to see how much better a few software tweaks can make an already great device.

BTW, welcome to the Torch family!
    02-28-11 06:05 PM
    like me, you're clueless and the pursuit of perfection is all consuming?
    02-28-11 07:24 PM
    The updates can also be buggy.
    02-28-11 08:47 PM
    While typically an OS upgrade will fix some bugs/improve speed, it may also create other bugs. If your happy with the way your device works now, then wait for a while untill some bug arises and see if one of the latest "leaks" or newly Official OS fixes it.
    03-01-11 07:20 AM
    If it's working for you, you don't have to update it. Myself and many other posters here will strongly encourage you to update it, but it's not mandatory..

Running the update should yield large improvments to the battery life, and boot up time though. Many others have also mentioned fixes to address problems with the camera, along with some other minor improvments.

When i had my Bold 9700 every time I updated OS to what my carrier was offering at that time, it SLOWED my boot time, so im hesitant to do so with my Torch, however i do check the Wireless update and there is no updates according to that
    03-01-11 11:36 AM
    When i had my Bold 9700 every time I updated OS to what my carrier was offering at that time, it SLOWED my boot time, so im hesitant to do so with my Torch, however i do check the Wireless update and there is no updates according to that
    From your profile it says your on ATT. The official ATT os is .246, when you do the wireless upgrade you will only get a notification if ATT decides to release a newer version. The wireless upgrade option will only work if you have an older OS version then the one that is supported by your carrier(ATT in this case).

I can attest to the speed increase, overall smoothness, actual boot time, and small annoying bug fixes(like the text message opening in the middle of a conversation) in the newer "leaked" or the "official" OS releases. Personally i like .448 over .450 myself.
    03-01-11 11:41 AM
    if you are using .246 then you should upgrade because that os was buggy and a lot of people got frustrated with the Torch because of that specific OS.
    03-01-11 11:50 AM
    if you have a stable OS build and are happy with it... LEAVE IT!

most rim updates are side-grades and not necessarily upgrades.

more chances than not, you will bust something if you change....
    03-01-11 11:54 AM
    You should be running at lest OS 337 IMO as stock. The newer leaks are even much better speed wise, boot time, battery life, etc.

However, get to know your device for at least 2 weeks, then feel free to experiment.
    Just my $2 cents
    03-01-11 12:37 PM
    Ok but has anyone experienced (as I posted above) slower boot times, because there are some times that I need to reboot my phone (referring back to my 9700) and it would take literally 15 minutes, where it was like 5 before the update
    03-02-11 06:04 PM
    Slower boot times after the update? Not me, no. I noticed when I updated my Torch the boot time take as long as it used to under .337 and .246 until after I had done a couple of battery pulls, but once those had been done the boot time was almost cut in half.

Never heard on anyone have a boot time 3 times longer than before an update. You might want to wipe the phone out and reinstall the os one more time. Sometimes they just go wrong and need to be re-done.

03-02-11 06:11 PM
    Upgrade to improve the benefit on your device.
    .450 works great!!!!!

03-02-11 06:17 PM
    I upgraded from .226 to .448 to fix the issues of slow boot up time and messages opening in the middle of the discussion. Although AT&T has not listed anything above the .226, the .448 is an official upgrade from RIM. So, I upgraded using the methods found here in crackberry and there were no problems. I've been happy with this upgrade from day one.
    03-02-11 06:44 PM
    I upgraded from .226 to .448 to fix the issues of slow boot up time and messages opening in the middle of the discussion. Although AT&T has not listed anything above the .226, the .448 is an official upgrade from RIM. So, I upgraded using the methods found here in crackberry and there were no problems. I've been happy with this upgrade from day one.
    +1. Carriers are usually very slow at testing and releasing new os updates from RIM. My carrier (Rogers) is still using the .246 build if memory serves.

03-03-11 03:11 AM
    I'm still on the .246 and haven't had a reason to upgrade yet,all is good for me so far. I guess time will tell if I need to...
    03-03-11 11:09 AM
    I'm still on the .246 and haven't had a reason to upgrade yet,all is good for me so far. I guess time will tell if I need to...
    My thoughts exactly. I've had my Torch and the stock .246 for a week now and no troubles, although everyone is telling me to upgrade to .448 for quicker functioning and better battery life. However, I have a Mac...I downloaded the DM for Mac, but can't find a download file anyways that's a .dmg, not .exe to get the new software. Anyone have a link to it or info? I looked at the upgrade Stickies on here but all are .exe files.
    03-03-11 01:14 PM
    Manual updates cannot be run from a mac. Youy must do it from a Windows environment. Either borrow a friend's Windows based pc for an hour, or set up a Windows virtual machine on your mac and run it from there.

03-06-11 04:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD