I just posted this in another thread, but I thought I would post a new thread to see if other Torch users are experiencing this.

I purchased the Torch yesterday, and have been playing with it fairly steadily for the past day. I'm leaning towards returning it. Here's why.

Some context: I've been a BB user since the original curve, I've had the 8300, 8310, 8900 and 9700. The main reason why I continue to stay on the platform is efficiency & speed. If I want to message (email, sms, twitter, calendaring, bbm, facebook) IMO there is no faster platform to do those things. The keyboard shortcuts, trackpad, grab and go, I love it.

I'm thinking that there is definitely a learning curve on the phone, but I just don't feel like the Torch has that sense of efficiency & speed for me. I have to slide out the keyboard if I want to use it. There are some places where I need to touch, other places where I need to use the trackpad. Sometimes its not clear which one I'm supposed to do! The main culprit for this, I think, is the hybrid touch + trackpad solution. I thought this was a big advantage (this what we always wanted right!?), but I think in execution, it just doesn't deliver.

The OS in general feels slower then OS 5. I don't know if thats the lack of optimization of the OS or because we have a slower processor, but I just don't feel like its *zip zip* that I've felt on the 9700.

Finding the right phone is always about tradeoffs and having the right features for what you use it for. If you love taking pictures, the photo management and camera is much improved here. The browser is great, and the increased screen real estate from the 9700 is awesome. There's lots of things to like about the Torch, but in the things that I've come to love the BB for, the Torch is not those things for me.

How about you? New Torch owners that used to be hardcore bb Curve / Bold users, what do you think?
    Last edited by fo0tprintz; 08-13-10 at 04:38 PM.
    08-13-10 03:34 PM
    I'm honestly not sure. Like you, I LOVED the ease, speed, and efficiency of texting/emailing on my Bold 9000. I've used it for the past two years with no problems or need to get a new phone, until I saw this one.

For me, the combination of a touchscreen and a kickass BlackBerry keyboard is a winner, even if it seems like the CPU is a little underpowered at times.

I have a tendency to believe that there will be improvements seen when RIM releases some OS updates. I've heard there were issues like we're seeing when the Storm was released, which were subsequently fixed when the newer OS builds were released. Here's hoping
    08-13-10 03:39 PM
    I upgraded from my Bold 9000 to the Torch yesterday, and I couldn't be happier. The only time I really notice lag is when a web page is still loading and I am trying to navigate. All the computers I use do the same thing though, so I can't really hold this against the phone. I really like the trackpad/touch screen combo. I had no idea how well these would work together but it works great for me. It does take a little getting used to for me to, probably because I have never had a touchscreen before. But I am getting the hang of it. The slide out keyboard isn't as convenient, but this is the trade off for the larger screen. To me it is worth it, and I can actually type on this keyboard better than I can on the 9000 for some reason.

Obviously it's not for everyone but so far my experience is all good with the Torch.
    08-13-10 03:44 PM
    I really wanted the torch but after reading some reviews and this forum I am going to hold off. I have a droid X now and only have a few days to make a decision don't get me wrong the X is a great device but For some reason I like blackberry.
    08-13-10 04:01 PM
    Don't go by what you read, go to handle one in person. I did today and I happen to like it alot. I have read about some of the issues about the phone but the one I checked out was solid.

If I was not locked to Sprint through my employer I would be getting one today.
    08-13-10 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD