I'm from Toronto and I want to buy the 9800 on saturday in buffalo either at Best buy or at&t either or. But have heard a few ppl say that if your not a current at&t customer they won't sell it to you. How true is this don't really want to wait till september.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-10 11:46 PM
    searchy searchy
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ca...00-how-510121/
    Last edited by Rikter; 08-09-10 at 01:25 AM. Reason: link
    08-09-10 01:23 AM
    Send me the money and Ill buy it for you .... JK. I did that a while back for a few friends but unless you have connections to someone with an account, itll be difficult.
    08-09-10 01:26 AM
    eBay or a friend
    08-09-10 05:06 AM
    anyone know how much more bestbuy sells their phones outright for then AT&T?
    08-09-10 08:26 AM
    Usually $100-$175 over Corporate Store Cost
    08-09-10 11:41 AM
    Sign up with AT&T, buy the phone for the 2-year contract price, then cancel on the spot :P
    08-09-10 11:44 AM
    you might want to try to just tell them u want to buy the phone as a pay as u go phone so just get a chip from them and buy the phone...it could work worth a try...if i get a chance to stop by the at&t store i'll ask them if this is possible...i know they usually charge a small fee to get the pay as u go chip but if that means paying and extra 20-40 bux its still cheaper than ebay...if i stop by i'll b sure to ask the rep for u
    08-09-10 12:26 PM
    Sign up with AT&T, buy the phone for the 2-year contract price, then cancel on the spot :P
    dont they have contract cancellation fee? how much is it? i'd imagine it was at least like $200+
    08-09-10 01:08 PM
    i called 4 AT&T stores and told them i want to buy a phone for my sister (who has an at&t account) but i am not an AT&T customer.. and all 4 people told me that there is no issue with people coming in buying phones outright, even if they don't have an account.

2 of the 4 were managers..

the only restriction are iphones...
    08-09-10 01:22 PM
    dont they have contract cancellation fee? how much is it? i'd imagine it was at least like $200+
    According to AT&T's website, It's $325.

So $200 + $325 = $525.

If it's $599.99 with no contract, then it sounds like a good option
    08-09-10 04:27 PM
    i talked to an in store at&t rep they said anyone can come buy a phone out right, so you are looking at 499
    08-09-10 08:43 PM
    According to AT&T's website, It's $325.

So $200 + $325 = $525.

If it's $599.99 with no contract, then it sounds like a good option

So companies will charge you for a portion of the monthly plan and the data plan, regardless of whether you used it or not.
    08-10-10 06:53 PM
    You have to return the handset as well, with a restocking fee.
    08-10-10 06:58 PM
    ebay (unlocked) as I did already
    08-10-10 09:00 PM
    I'm not sure about AT&T policy but can we activate the phone on prepaid and pay full price?
    08-10-10 11:40 PM
    This is driving me crazy. I phoned an ATT dealer (not corporate) today and was told that you could NOT purchase the phone AT ALL without signing a 2 year contract. There is so much conflicting info on this, I just wish I knew for sure so I don't waste my time driving down to Bellingham to NOT be able to purchase one.
    08-11-10 12:29 AM
    Ok guys so whats the deal. I'm a Canadian going to New York next week. If we ask for a pay as you go will AT&T sell you a Torch or will it be just on contract for 2 years. If so do you have to be a resident of the US to get a contract or can you sign up for one then cancel it later or on the spot. I heard the cancellation fee is $200.00 is this right?
    08-11-10 10:09 AM
    Ok guys so whats the deal. I'm a Canadian going to New York next week. If we ask for a pay as you go will AT&T sell you a Torch or will it be just on contract for 2 years. If so do you have to be a resident of the US to get a contract or can you sign up for one then cancel it later or on the spot. I heard the cancellation fee is $200.00 is this right?
    As far as I have heard, you can only get the phone with a 2 year contract (at this point). The ETF (early termination fee) is $325, so $199 for phone + $325 is what you would end up paying (Plus activation and monthly plan fees) if you choose to go that route.

08-11-10 11:00 AM
    As far as I have heard, you can only get the phone with a 2 year contract (at this point). The ETF (early termination fee) is $325, so $199 for phone + $325 is what you would end up paying (Plus activation and monthly plan fees) if you choose to go that route.

sounds so complicated lol. I don�t want to take a chance and drive all the way down there to be told later I can�t buy it. I have called a few stores in my area and was told �no� about buying it out right. so I�m not going to worry ill just wait till Monday and send my friend some money and have her buy I just want the receipt so I can take it back if I need to in 30days if need be.
    08-11-10 11:14 AM
    wish me luck people ; >

so with all this talk about buying the phone without being an account holder i got my father in law to put my wife on his account as an authorized user to make any account changes..

called AT&T and they said she can buy the phone for him but they have to put it on his account.. not a problem since we'll buy it outright and tie it to his account..

they said i can walk out without making any changes to his plan since he already has a blackberry plan.. he just has to replace his sim..

so i am hoping if it;s like Rogers that having that phone on his account won't really mess him up.. and won't effect his hardware upgrade cause we're paying full pop for it..

after all this work i better get a phone!
    08-11-10 04:21 PM
    i called 4 AT&T stores and told them i want to buy a phone for my sister (who has an at&t account) but i am not an AT&T customer.. and all 4 people told me that there is no issue with people coming in buying phones outright, even if they don't have an account.

2 of the 4 were managers..

the only restriction are iphones...
    I've called 4 AT&T stores here in Los Angeles & made up the same reason you said here are the things they told me:
    - The person whom I am buying the phone for has to be present. And even then, they'd look at that person's account whether it's necessary to re-sign a 2-year contract or eligible for an upgrade.
    - They will not sell the phone full price at the moment, even if you are an AT&T customer. Only for those who are willing to sign a 2-year contract.

Seriously... this is why I am not with AT&T! I just want the f%&kin' phone & am willing to pay for the full price...just leave me alone with your contracts, etc!

08-11-10 04:23 PM
    any canadians wanting a 9800 early; are you willing to pay the price for it? you can get it from craigslist or kijiji in the toronto area but gonna cost you 800
    08-11-10 04:46 PM
    Just wait untill September, it 's less than a mounth. We wait for 2 years since first talk about slide blackberry.
    08-11-10 04:59 PM
    Just talked to a Telus rep in store today who has done some training on the Torch already. According to him, it should be released in the next few weeks....
    08-11-10 05:50 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD