I'm a new BB user, and I keep reading about unlocking phones... What does it do? What purpose does it serve?
    Thanks for your help, and please don't be rude.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 03:35 AM
    I'm a new BB user, and I keep reading about unlocking phones... What does it do? What purpose does it serve?
    Thanks for your help, and please don't be rude.

Having an unlocked phone is great if you are a traveler. Let's say that you are an AT&T member and you will be traveling to....let's say Great Britain. If you are going to use your BB in your business while over seas, having an unlocked BB would allow you to buy a SIM card for a local carrier while you were over there so you could continue to use the device. Then when you return to the States, you would put your AT&T SIM back in to continue to use the BB while at home. If your are not a business traveler using your BB for your business, then an unlocked phone won't do you any good.
    It just allows you to use your BB with another carrier by using their SIM card. You still have to pay for the use of the other carrier's service while using their SIM card though.

Make sense?
    08-06-11 05:10 AM
    Traveling for business or leisure, or not traveling at all, unlocking the device will always be good. Local fees will always be cheaper than roaming fees, specially for US carriers and you have the choice of picking the GSM carrier, whether local or not.

As for the question, unlocking just removes the network or service restrictions imposed by carriers on devices, since they are, basically, locked to the carrier.
    Unlocking lets you choose any network/carrier you want as long as they are GSM and use a compatible frequency.
    Last edited by gbsn; 08-06-11 at 05:42 AM.
    08-06-11 05:36 AM
    Cell phone unlocking is a process which removes a "Network" lock and/or "Service Provider" lock from GSM cell phones. These locks are programmed into the phones by the manufacturers or the cell phone providers so that they can only be used with their network (i.e. only with their SIM cards). Removing this lock from your device will make the following possible:
    *Phone to work on all compatible GSM networks worldwide (Rogers, Fido, T-Mobile...)
    *Phone will accept any type of SIM card
    08-06-11 11:39 AM
    Thanks guys.

08-06-11 04:46 PM
    Thanks guys.

Hope you got an answer that makes sense to you. If you decide you'd like to unlock your BB, I went here, FreeMyBlackBerry.com
    It was free and I had my unlock code in under two hours. Once you unlock your device, it will always be unlocked, even after you upgrade your OS, and it will not affect your carrier/phone warranties.
    Just make sure that when you enter your unlock code that if it doesn't work, double check the number given to what you entered. If they are the same, then contact freemyberry.com and have them recheck everything. You only get 10 tries to unlock your BB, then it locks up and is bricked.
    Don't worry, this unlock site has a great reputation and I had no problems. I just wanted you to be aware if there is a mess up because I have read posts from some people that have continued to enter the wrong number until their phone was bricked. If it doesn't work the first time, stop, then check the number before trying again.
    Each BB has its own unique coding and the unlock code will not work an another device.
    aha likes this.
    08-06-11 04:56 PM
    Hope you got an answer that makes sense to you. If you decide you'd like to unlock your BB, I went here, FreeMyBlackBerry.com

It was free and I had my unlock code in under two hours. Once you unlock your device, it will always be unlocked, even after you upgrade your OS, and it will not affect your carrier/phone warranties.

Just make sure that when you enter your unlock code that if it doesn't work, double check the number given to what you entered. If they are the same, then contact freemyberry.com and have them recheck everything. You only get 10 tries to unlock your BB, then it locks up and is bricked.

Don't worry, this unlock site has a great reputation and I had no problems. I just wanted you to be aware if there is a mess up because I have read posts from some people that have continued to enter the wrong number until their phone was bricked. If it doesn't work the first time, stop, then check the number before trying again.

Each BB has its own unique coding and the unlock code will not work an another device.

It won't brick your phone but it will prevent you unlocking it via MEPD menu. You would then require it to be unlocked by a cable service.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    08-06-11 10:15 PM
    It won't brick your phone but it will prevent you unlocking it via MEPD menu. You would then require it to be unlocked by a cable service.

I have to respectively disagree with this statement. I had no problems because the MEPD menu was part of the unlocking instructions.
    08-06-11 10:20 PM
    You must have misunderstood me, what I meant was if you enter the incorrect unlock code 10 times, you will be unable to unlock it via the MEPD menu and thus need to cable unlock it. It however, will not brick the phone entering the wrong code in 10 times.

08-07-11 12:56 AM
    i have successivly unlocked my att 9800 torch, i tried to put in my sim from verizon and nothing happened. What steps do i need to do in order to use the verizon sim and use the phone on verizon? Please help.

thanks
    08-07-11 08:43 AM
    You must have misunderstood me, what I meant was if you enter the incorrect unlock code 10 times, you will be unable to unlock it via the MEPD menu and thus need to cable unlock it. It however, will not brick the phone entering the wrong code in 10 times.

Thanks for clearing that up for me and thanks for the cable unlock info.
    08-07-11 12:00 PM
    i have successivly unlocked my att 9800 torch, i tried to put in my sim from verizon and nothing happened. What steps do i need to do in order to use the verizon sim and use the phone on verizon? Please help.

thanks
    Verizon does not use sim cards. Verizon uses a CDMA network, which does not use sim cards and is not compatible with pure GSM phones, like the torch is. As far as i know, that sim card is from vodafone, or is for international usage.
    08-07-11 02:33 PM
    i have a blackberry bold 9780 from wind mobile. i have the unlock code but it is wrong can anybody help me with this ?
    08-07-11 04:22 PM
    i have a blackberry bold 9780 from wind mobile. i have the unlock code but it is wrong can anybody help me with this ?
    If the code is wrong, the only people to help are those that got you the code. Contact the place you got the code from and tell them it's wrong. No one here can help with a wrong code.
    Good luck.
    08-07-11 04:44 PM
    I followed the link above yesterday and submitted my information to request an unlock code. I was skeptical about it, but I received my code today! About 24 hours like it is stated in the link. I doubt I will ever actually need to use it, however, if I sell my Torch later on, it may increase its resale value.
    08-07-11 04:52 PM
    I followed the link above yesterday and submitted my information to request an unlock code. I was skeptical about it, but I received my code today! About 24 hours like it is stated in the link. I doubt I will ever actually need to use it, however, if I sell my Torch later on, it may increase its resale value.
    Good for you. I used freemyberry.com for my Torch. Don't know if I'll ever use its ability but it's nice to have.
    08-07-11 04:54 PM
    We went out of the country in July for a week, our roaming charges were >400 bucks, this was with the supposedly affordable travel pack! So I am so glad that I read this thread for we will be travelling again soon.
    08-07-11 05:50 PM
    Verizon does not use sim cards. Verizon uses a CDMA network, which does not use sim cards and is not compatible with pure GSM phones, like the torch is. As far as i know, that sim card is from vodafone, or is for international usage.
    The blackberry storm2 I have on verizon has a sim card in it? So I cant use the torch on verizon?
    08-07-11 05:53 PM
    The blackberry storm2 I have on verizon has a sim card in it? So I cant use the torch on verizon?
    Are you sure it's a SIM card and not a memory card? I know that Verizon offers a 16GB microSD Card with the Storm2.
    Last edited by ghostryder12; 08-07-11 at 05:59 PM.
    bwj1450 likes this.
    08-07-11 05:56 PM
    Are you sure it's a SIM card and not a memory card? I know that Verizon offers a 16GB microSD Card with the Storm2.
    No it diff. has a sim card as well as a 16g micro chip? The sim card does say vodaphone on it what ever that means?
    08-07-11 06:01 PM
    Its probably a sim card for international usage on international GSM carriers, the storm, tour and cdma bold lines can also be used on GSM networks. I have not yet seen Verizon stating that it has deployed a GSM network in the US.

The blackberry smartphones targeted to GSM carriers, can only be used on GSM carriers as they only have a GSM radio, while their CDMA counterparts can be used on GSM carriers and the "targeted" CDMA carrier. When you are unlocking a CDMA blackberry, you are unlocking only its GSM part.

The torch 9800 is GSM only.

If it says vodafone, then you can probably use the storm in the vodafone network in europe at a discounted rate (vodafone is a cellphone provider). And, if you put that vodafone sim card in your unlocked torch, you can also use it on the vodafone network.
    Last edited by gbsn; 08-07-11 at 06:11 PM.
    bwj1450 likes this.
    08-07-11 06:08 PM
    The radio in the Torch isn't set to use the frequencies that the Verizon Network uses, nor is the Storm 2 on AT&T. You will be unable to use them on each others networks. You can however use a Storm 2 on T-Mobile but 2G only. The Storm 2 does come with a SIM card for travel.

08-08-11 11:46 AM
    The radio in the Torch isn't set to use the frequencies that the Verizon Network uses, nor is the Storm 2 on AT&T. You will be unable to use them on each others networks. You can however use a Storm 2 on T-Mobile but 2G only. The Storm 2 does come with a SIM card for travel.

Verizon uses CDMA, a different radio technology. Its not just different frequency, its the radio type.

The CDMA blackberry smartphones are also quad band GPRS, they support EDGE on at&t's and tmobile's network. What they dont support is 3G on at&t or tmobile (not sure about tmo). At&t being a different frequency and tmobile using two frequencies for 3G (1700/2100), while the storm,tour,bold9650 are single band for UMTS (2100), dont know if the tmobile frequencies are for download/upload or they are just for load balancing, if its for load balancing then they can get 3G on tmobile, otherwise, they are missing a frequency band. But still, all the CDMA BBs can get EDGE in the US.

The storm 2 works fine on at&t with EDGE only.
    Last edited by gbsn; 08-08-11 at 12:06 PM.
    08-08-11 11:54 AM
    Hello! I'm iwan... I just want to know that if we unlocking our device is it posible to get free apps from app world?
    04-02-13 02:06 PM
    Hello! I'm iwan... I just want to know that if we unlocking our device is it posible to get free apps from app world?
    04-02-13 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD