My son has had the Tourch since the first day and loves it. But I have something funny going on. He is on the ATT 2GB data plan so he has plenty of data but at our house he is on our wi-fi, to keep down on data. But almost every morning at 5:58am or 7:20am there is data usage on the plan. most times it is 2 MB or a little more but one it was 23 MB. He swears he is not using it at 5:58AM and even so he should be connecting through my wi-fi.

Anyone have any ideas what is happening here.
    09-05-10 05:13 PM
    Sounds like an app automatically updating/downloading and not utilizing the wifi connection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-10 06:03 PM
    Sounds like an app automatically updating/downloading and not utilizing the wifi connection.

Yeah I wondered if an app was bringing in RSS feeds/data and I half wondered if OS6 has a powersaving function for wifi and the two are combined or if it's just wifi sleeping. I've not checked but some of the other platforms at least have a sleep function for wifi if the device isn't used for a certain period of time.
    09-05-10 06:09 PM
    At least to eliimate any possible accounting errors by ATT, try turning off Mobile Network before going to sleep and see if that data usage shows up for that time.
    09-05-10 07:54 PM
    It is either an rss or podcast. Those are the only things I can think of that size.

09-05-10 11:35 PM
    +1 on RSS feeds.. or podcasts..
    09-05-10 11:51 PM
    I'm having the exact same concern - I'm currently in Europe - before I left I activate the 100MB international data plan. But I'm seeing between 2 and 8MB of 'blackberry.net' data usage on a daily basis, although I'm on WIFI most of the time? At the rate this is going, I'll be over 100MB in no time...
    09-06-10 04:35 AM
    I'm having the exact same concern - I'm currently in Europe - before I left I activate the 100MB international data plan. But I'm seeing between 2 and 8MB of 'blackberry.net' data usage on a daily basis, although I'm on WIFI most of the time? At the rate this is going, I'll be over 100MB in no time...
    the 100 MB is too small in my opinion.. you should have gotten the 2GB..
    the reason i'm keeping my unlimited data plan ... since i can't go back once i dowgraded.. is that when AT&T rolls out 4G.. the data consumption will triple...i can see that happening on my end
    09-06-10 09:06 AM
    It's not uncommon to see blackberry.net usage at all hours of the day. For some reason, although the data session might have started at 3pm, it doesn't show on the AT&T site as such. Also apps update from time to time and you have communication from the device to it's network(service books, etc) that use data.

As for the 2GB plan and using wifi at your house, please read:

If you DO NOT turn off the mobile network and use WIFI ONLY, you will incur data chagres that count towards your 2GB plan. With the mobile network on, all data is routed through AT&T's proxies thus counting as data on your 2GB plan.
    09-06-10 09:15 AM

If you DO NOT turn off the mobile network and use WIFI ONLY, you will incur data chagres that count towards your 2GB plan. With the mobile network on, all data is routed through AT&T's proxies thus counting as data on your 2GB plan.
    Good info CX. I will bet no one read that in the fine print!! Glad I am grandfathered!!!
    09-06-10 09:18 AM
    Good info CX. I will bet no one read that in the fine print!! Glad I am grandfathered!!!
    Yeppers, me too. But yes this gets a good amount of people in relation to expensive data charges. It's a little shady on AT&T's part because you think oh my wifi so it's not going thru AT&T's network although it still is if the Mobile Network isn't off....
    09-06-10 09:26 AM
    Yeppers, me too. But yes this gets a good amount of people in relation to expensive data charges. It's a little shady on AT&T's part because you think oh my wifi so it's not going thru AT&T's network although it still is if the Mobile Network isn't off....
    I would have thought that myself. AT&T is going to make a killing on overages until people figure out how to stay under. It will get worse as the network gets better, with the eventual appearance of 4G.
    09-06-10 09:32 AM
    For domestic plans there are still no data charges. The way it was explained to us, they just add on an additional band or bands of allowed data. There will be extra charges but noting like the raw per packet billing that would take place with no data plan at all.

Unlimited all the way for me!
    09-06-10 10:47 AM

Are you 100% certain? I have noticed my data significantly lower with wifi on, and then there is this from the official AT&T press release on the new data plans saying how phones switch automatically:

The vast majority of smartphones that AT&T offers have built-in Wi-Fi, which lets the devices automatically switch from the wireless network to a Wi-Fi hotspot without prompting, making Wi-Fi even more convenient and easy to use. This enables customers to use Wi-Fi in the home, office and at public locations where available. Using Wi-Fi does not count against a customer's monthly data plan usage total.

I am having the same issue with the torch, but did not have it with the bold....something is up.
    09-16-10 10:07 PM
    Are you 100% certain? I have noticed my data significantly lower with wifi on, and then there is this from the official AT&T press release on the new data plans saying how phones switch automatically:

The vast majority of smartphones that AT&T offers have built-in Wi-Fi, which lets the devices automatically switch from the wireless network to a Wi-Fi hotspot without prompting, making Wi-Fi even more convenient and easy to use. This enables customers to use Wi-Fi in the home, office and at public locations where available. Using Wi-Fi does not count against a customer's monthly data plan usage total.

I am having the same issue with the torch, but did not have it with the bold....something is up.
    I noticed that the AT&T Data Calculator also states this:

"Data Calculator
    Use the sliders below to estimate your daily or monthly usage.
    Wi-Fi usage does not count against the data included in your plan!"

If someone figures out that Wi-Fi really is counting against our data usage, then AT&T will have a big problem on their hands. (IMHO)

C

Edit: Also check out AT&T Wi-Fi Access and mouse over "Why use Wi-Fi?" Says it all!!
    Last edited by geocd; 09-17-10 at 07:31 AM. Reason: New information...
    09-17-10 07:29 AM
    I thought I read/heard somewhere where that was if you use AT&T wifi hotspots.

Looking at my monthly data usage, I'd have a hard time believing my wifi usage (10+ hours a day at work - 6 hours at home) are counting against my unlimited plan. I could be wrong.
    09-17-10 08:10 AM
    I called AT&T today for a different issue and decided to ask about data usage and Wi-Fi. I was assured by the rep that any Wi-Fi usage does not show in the usage list and does not subtract from your monthly allocation. Only that which is on 3G is shown on the website and included on the paper bill.

Having not thought about it before, I use Wi-Fi at home all the time. Certainly much more that I use 3G unless I am on travel. I cannot imagine what my monthly usage would be if I did not use Wi-Fi all the time.

C
    09-17-10 12:13 PM
    That's weird. I was in India for 6 weeks and my network was off the whole time. Yet ATT traked over 400 mb of usage while I was over there and they were unble to explain to me why. The funny thing is that I was on the hotel wifi the entire time. I guess I need to contact them again and argue this.

09-17-10 12:37 PM
    I called AT&T today for a different issue and decided to ask about data usage and Wi-Fi. I was assured by the rep that any Wi-Fi usage does not show in the usage list and does not subtract from your monthly allocation. Only that which is on 3G is shown on the website and included on the paper bill
    I'm pretty sure that's NOT true.
    We do not have 3G coverage in my town and I have my phone set to 2G only.
    I have not had my Torch off 2G since launch day and just looked at my data usage on the website for the time since I've had it... shows 25.5 MB of data used.
    09-17-10 01:12 PM
    Bet he meant "AT&T network" instead of "3G".
    09-17-10 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD