Review from zdnet: and a lot of Web pages still recognize this as the old BlackBerry Web browser and so they display (crippled) text versions of their sites optimized for the legacy BlackBerry experience.

Have you noticed this? Have the newer OS updates fixed this?

I get a mini Ad on Facebook, telling me to optimize facebook for my Curve 3g. Never had one.
    03-14-11 04:56 AM
    Never had this happen to me. Every single site I go to, recognizes that I have a BlackBerry Torch. You could try updating your OS, that might help.
    03-14-11 05:54 AM
    Review from zdnet: and a lot of Web pages still recognize this as the old BlackBerry Web browser and so they display (crippled) text versions of their sites optimized for the legacy BlackBerry experience.

Have you noticed this? Have the newer OS updates fixed this?

I get a mini Ad on Facebook, telling me to optimize facebook for my Curve 3g. Never had one.
    Not necessarily optimized for the 'legacy BlackBerry experience', whatever that is, but simply recognizing it as a mobile browser and displaying the mobile version of the site, like CrackBerry's Wap3. I personally prefer this, as I can't see most full sites very well on any mobile-sized screen anyway.
    03-14-11 06:34 AM
    The Torch browser's UA string clearly identifies it to sites as a webkit browser. Initially, a number of sites thought you were browsing on an iPhone.

A lot of sites offer up mobile versions as a default no matter what you are browsing on, iPhone, Torch, etc.
    03-14-11 07:00 AM
    Facebook mobile offers me the chance to download Blackberry for my Curve 3G. Always has done since I've owned the Torch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-11 09:14 AM
    Facebook mobile offers me the chance to download Blackberry for my Curve 3G. Always has done since I've owned the Torch

What os are you running? Some had reported .448 does this. I'm running .450 and facebook mobile specifically says "Torch" for me.

03-14-11 10:13 AM
    What os are you running? Some had reported .448 does this. I'm running .450 and facebook mobile specifically says "Torch" for me.

It offered me the chance to download it for my Torch at first but then changed to Curve 3G with me making no changes.

It's done it on the stock .246 it came with, the .337 I changed it to and also the .448 it's now running as well.
    03-14-11 11:59 AM
    Wouldn't this just be a lack of updates in the mobile browser detection for sites and not the phone...
    03-14-11 12:55 PM
    Like I said on pretty much every post related to something like this, updating your OS will not fix your problem because the problem is not the phone itself, it's the website, contact the web developer and told them about that, I can guaranty that they will say they are working on it or they know about it or they will thank you for letting them know.

Why I'm saying that ? because I'm a web developer and I can show you exactly where the problem is, and this is how. Open your phone and type http://stupidact.com/phone.php , it will return your Phone metatag (You can try this url with your browser too, it will show you the metatag of your browser) .

Then the developer have some kind of checker that check your phone metatag with a list that they have and they redirect you to the right site. The problem is, they just look for the word blackberry and redirect you to a blackberry mobile site, but like you surely know, the OS on the OS 6 (the one that we have on torch) doesn't work like the old one, so we can have a better/higher design.

Maybe this will be too much info for you, but like I said, the best way is to contact the web developer and tell them that it's been 6 month that the Torch is released, it's time that they update their checking system. Updating your OS will do nothing about this.

So in other word, papped you were right haha

edit: but hey, if you try the link that I posted and are able to see a metatag that is not related to your torch, from your torch, please captureit!
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 03-14-11 at 02:20 PM.
    03-14-11 02:15 PM
    Just a comparasion of curve 8900 and torch 9800 metatag

curve 8900 : Blackberry8900/5.0.0.862 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

torch 9800 : Mozzilla/5.0 (Blackberry; U; Blackberry 9800; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML,like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.486 Mobile Safari/534.8+

I can't imagine that the torch could have the same metatag as the curve, I'm really sure it's just a matter of the web developer looked for Blackberry word only, not the full meta tag
    03-14-11 02:23 PM
    Is there a way to make the phone squawk something that would get me to those "crippled" versions of a the sites? I'd rather not deal with the awesome, fully functional browser on normal websites any more than I absolutely have to.
    03-14-11 03:35 PM
    Any website that has a mobile version of a website has a url associated to it.

Usually any browser detected as mobile uses the mobile site by default, so I can't imagine that you would need to do anything...

Even then there is usually a link to switch between the two.
    03-14-11 04:03 PM
    Here's the two screenshots, taken on the same phone within seconds of either other.

It's no biggie for me as I have Facebook Touch bookmarked and saved on the home screen anyway but it just proves that Facebook does mis-identify my correctly identified phone.
    03-15-11 08:06 AM
    that's a fail from facebook by looking at your screenshot, there is nothing you can do about it except telling facebook staff about it, send them your metatag with your message I'm sure it will get fix sooner if they know what you want.

Actually I just tested it and it show Facebook for your Torch on my end ???

and it does not show the touch site either, I had to click on the link at the bottom.
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 03-15-11 at 08:52 AM.
    03-15-11 08:44 AM
    So I guess all I can do is wait for fb to fix this. I really need my touch site back though...
    04-17-11 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD