I am tied to AT&T and would really like to get a Torch. But it is critical to me that I am able to do automatic syncing with Google Calendar, Contacts and Email. In searching the forums and the web, it is clear that plenty of people have issues with this. I see suggested fixes, but most of these come from people with older non-6.0 Blackberries. Somewhere I read something that made me think that the Google Sync app is not needed with the Torch and that you can just connect to Google as an Exchange Server. Since I am coming from an iPhone, I don't have any experience with Blackberry to go from. So, can someone out there with a Torch confirm that these work?

Also, if the solution uses the Exchange approach, will AT&T require me to have the enterprise data plan, or will the regular smartphone plan work? Before I got my iPhone, I tried a Bold, but refused to pay AT&T an extra $15 to get my Exchange mail from work when my Treo and the iPhone did it for no extra cost. (I don't need to connect to Exchange for my job anymore, just a regular gmail account.)

Thanks!!
    Last edited by nuverde; 12-14-10 at 10:49 AM.
    12-14-10 10:47 AM
    My Torch is on ATT&T with a regular smartphone plan at $15 a month. Google Calendar appears to synchronise just fine through BIS without Google Sync. I deleted sync after the new BIS came along and the system worked on both my 9000 and now the 9800. So far as I can tell there are no issues today.
    nuverde likes this.
    12-14-10 11:22 AM
    I just bought a torch recently and use bis to do wireless sync with google calendar without a problem. I dont need to use the old google sync app.
    nuverde likes this.
    12-14-10 11:24 AM
    My Torch is on ATT&T with a regular smartphone plan at $15 a month. Google Calendar appears to synchronise just fine through BIS without Google Sync. I deleted sync after the new BIS came along and the system worked on both my 9000 and now the 9800. So far as I can tell there are no issues today.
    This is very good to hear! Thanks! Two days 'til I can upgrade.
    12-14-10 11:24 AM
    I use the built in BIS sync to sync my calendar which works fine. However, with the BIS sync only the primary google calendar is synced. Not a problem for me since I only use one google calendar, but it may be a consideration for you if you use, or intend to use multiple google calendars. Email syncing is also flawless through the BIS sync. Contacts however are not. I am on a BES and have about 180 personal contacts on my phone tied to my BES account that I would like to migrate to my Gmail account. I was able to export to a *.cvs file from my BES and import them successfully to my gmail account on my laptop. However, when google then syncs them with my phone the field mapping is screwed up. The prefix becomes the first name, first and last names become the last name on the phone. The address is all slammed into one field from the multiple fields within my google contacts. I finally resolved to keep my personal contacts on my BES for now. I have considered using google sync but I have been unsuccessful with that before and I really don't want to duplicate all my calendar entries now that I've got that working.
    12-15-10 07:02 PM
    I use the google sync app and my contacts and calender entries are syncing correctly as well. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 09:17 PM
    This is very good to hear! Thanks! Two days 'til I can upgrade.
    Your local best buy has the torches for free right now, might want to check them out. They have all 3 colors (black, white, and red).
    12-15-10 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD