Am new to touch screen and of course virtual keyboard. But regardless I've noticed many times that when I press the intended key, a different letter is typed, usually the letter immediately adjacent to the one I touched. And yes some times it's user error and I've pressed the wrong key, but what I'm talking about is when I assure myself I'm pressing the intended key (since the correct letter pops up in the associated bubble) a different letter appears. am using the portrait keyboard set to Qwerty

anyone else seeing this issue, and what could be the cause?
    Last edited by CSO; 08-18-10 at 11:40 PM.
    08-18-10 11:26 PM
    which among the 3 virtual keyboard are you using?
    QWERTY? multi tap? i forgot the 3rd one. ( sure type)
    i get into trouble with the QWERTY virtual keyboard.
    so i stick with the physical one
    08-18-10 11:30 PM
    which among the 3 virtual keyboard are you using?
    QWERTY? multi tap? i forgot the 3rd one. ( sure type)
    i get into trouble with the QWERTY virtual keyboard.
    so i stick with the physical one
    ya good point/question: am using the portrait keyboard set to Qwerty
    08-18-10 11:38 PM
    I've been experiencing the same dilemma especially when entering my password... i have all the options set to direct and the keyboards set to qwerty... wish blackberry would have included a feature similar to other smartphones where the password input at the beginning could be done with a swipping motion or jus a num keypad...
    08-19-10 01:17 AM
    I can't figure this out and am hoping it's not a glitch that can't/won't be fixed with an OS update. I'm seeing this more and more when I use the virtual keyboard, especially in portrait mode. When I press a key, for example "I", the pop up bubble shows the letter "I" has been selected, but a "U" will be inserted into the document/email etc. I've typed very slowly to assure that I'm pressing the correct letter, and it still happens. But there appears to be no pattern; sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't, and with different letters (though I see it most with I/U and C/V - so far anyway).

can anyone else confirm this?
    08-19-10 04:35 PM
    i'm not having the problem you're having..
    maybe it's a software glitch or a hardware problem.
    what's the setting you have for the keyboard?
    Normal? medium fast?
    try to play with it..
    i have mine set on medium fast
    08-19-10 04:58 PM
    i'm not having the problem you're having..
    maybe it's a software glitch or a hardware problem.
    what's the setting you have for the keyboard?
    Normal? medium fast?
    try to play with it..
    i have mine set on medium fast
    Thanks. I had it set to Normal, and have now set it to medium slow. I'll check it out, but I hope it's not hardware. Thanks
    08-19-10 05:16 PM
    I've been having this same problem. It's very, very frustrating.
    08-19-10 10:55 PM
    I've been having this same problem. It's very, very frustrating.
    anyone know if this might be an OS issue?
    08-20-10 12:07 AM
    The touch screen sensor is probably out of alignment or something along those lines. Since not EVERYBODY is having the same problem, it's most likely not a software problem. You should return it and get a replacement.
    08-20-10 12:38 AM
    i suggest to go back to your nearest AT&T store..
    check the demo phone
    or ask any rep for a Torch working demo
    and compare..
    i'm not having this issues.. so i guess this is a Hardware problem
    08-20-10 07:51 AM
    The touch screen is REALLY pissing me off, and like a few others, especially when typing in passwords. I use 4 numbers 8, 1, 0, 3 as my password, and more often that not, despite pushing 8 (and the bubble with '8' appears), a 9 gets put in, a '2' instead of a 1, the 0 is fine, and the 3 is usually a '('. I halfway max out my password attempts, unless i switch to the physical keyboard. I had an iPhone at one point, and the accuracy was near-100%. There's got to be some software issue with this...
    08-20-10 08:25 AM
    Mine is doing this, also. I'm glad I saw this thread...I thought I was losing my mind.

Honestly, though, probably won't return the phone. I have found that the letters that are doing it most often need to be tapped on the "other side" (as if they're really big enough to have 2 sides...but as much as possible) of the key and the correct letter/number will insert more often.

I have just adjuster my typing a little.

Also, and this might be wishful thinking or something, but I purchased a privacy screen for the phone and that has seemed to improve this issue substantially.
    08-20-10 11:59 AM
    Yes, I have this issue too! Seems like only happening in portrait mode. The letter/number which is pressed and showed is not the same number that is put in the password line before the * symbol covers it. I've gotten used to it by making sure I see the letter/number before it gets covered by the *.
    08-21-10 12:51 AM
    Anyone found a way to resolve this issue (short of returning the phone)? What about the new, beta OS?
    08-24-10 06:31 PM
    I was hoping it was a hardware issue so I could just exchange it but I don't think it is. Either that or my local AT&T just keeps getting bad phones.

I went back to the AT&T store last night and tested two brand new phones that they just received. Neither sales associate believed me at first (they gave me all kinds of excuses about what I was doing wrong) but both were able to duplicate the issue on both new phones including one of them who could type about 50 WPM on the virtual keyboard. One new thing I saw was one of the associates had a different issue, she had the keys typing the letter below the key pressed which leads me to believe that the pixels all around the keys are hit and miss.

I've tested 7 different Torchs since day 2 and every one has done the exact same thing.
    08-24-10 06:31 PM
    I was hoping it was a hardware issue so I could just exchange it but I don't think it is. Either that or my local AT&T just keeps getting bad phones.

I went back to the AT&T store last night and tested two brand new phones that they just received. Neither sales associate believed me at first (they gave me all kinds of excuses about what I was doing wrong) but both were able to duplicate the issue on both new phones including one of them who could type about 50 WPM on the virtual keyboard. One new thing I saw was one of the associates had a different issue, she had the keys typing the letter below the key pressed which leads me to believe that the pixels all around the keys are hit and miss.

I've tested 7 different Torchs since day 2 and every one has done the exact same thing.
    Wow major dissapointment along with all of the other minor irritants which are combining to make my Torch experience far less than stellar. I'm still hanging in there though. This keyboard issue is a real bother since it results in a negative virtual keyboard experience. :-(
    08-24-10 06:39 PM
    I hope they address this quickly as it is very annoying. At least if the preview letter matched what was typed you could correct as you go and you could still type in passwords.
    08-24-10 07:02 PM
    I hope they address this quickly as it is very annoying. At least if the preview letter matched what was typed you could correct as you go and you could still type in passwords.
    Agreed. How do we or can we know if it's hardware or software?
    08-24-10 07:16 PM
    I’m not a BB app developer but it seems to me that there are two things (at least) happening when you push the screen. The portion of the screen pushed (well call the pixels x,y) follows some code path to create the preview of the key that you pressed and then a different code path actually enters the letter typed. This is what makes it seem like a software problem to me. It’s like x,y on the preview code = T but x,y on the code that enters the letter = Y.

If the preview and the letter typed matched I would think it was hardware. I may be way off base but that’s what I’m thinking.
    08-25-10 09:05 PM
    I used to have the same problem running .141, however, after I updated to .161 the problem dispeared. So (at least to me) it appears to be a software problem on .141

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-10 09:44 PM
    I used to have the same problem running .141, however, after I updated to .161 the problem dispeared. So (at least to me) it appears to be a software problem on .141

This is good news if your assessment is accurate. So literally you saw a change for the better? Have u used the virtual keyboard a lot since installing the update?
    08-26-10 12:45 AM
    Yes, I'm using the virtual keyboard more often after updating my phone. And yes, I literally did see a change after the update. But then again I can't talk for people with defective screens (if any).
    All what I'm saying is I used to have this problem but after installing the update the problem disappeared.

Why don't you try and see if it will work for you. I mean you risk nothing if you updated to .161. If you don't like it, you can very easily get back to .141

08-26-10 03:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD