Okay so I've searched online to find info about this several times, with many different choices of keywords and nothing. My torch only shoots video in landscape, even when holding it vertically, the picture and controls rotate but the shape of the video is still landscape. It just squashes it to fit in the portraite oriented screen. I don't THINK it has always done this. The first time I remember noticing it was after an update a while back. However it MAY have always been that way and it may be a limitation related to the 9800 not being able to play video in portrait either. Anyone know which is the case? Is it possible to record a video in portrait on the 9800?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-11 07:09 AM
    Your post intrigued me. After messing with the camera options and orientation I managed to record a video and play back in Portrait mode. Why it would work like this I have NO clue.

First, go into Video Camera and select options. Change the scene mode to Portrait and save. Then, with the slider *OPEN*, hold the torch in Landscape mode with the KB to your left. You should see the camera window open with the sides cut off as if in portrait mode. Record. The play back and should be full screen, portrait, with the KB down.

WHEW!!!!

I usually hold the KB to the right. This resulted in the playback showing upside down.

WHo came up with this anyway??
    11-13-11 12:03 PM
    Thanks for the input. At first I thought your method wasn't working on my phone because the controls still remain on the edge near the keyboard, but low and behold, when I actually record and playback the video it is in portrait. It's as though the phone knows that that left side is the top even though the controls look like they're ready for you to hold the phone vertically.

It's good to see that portrait recording IS possible, as well as PLAYBACK (something I saw listed as being an improvement in the 9810 that the 9800 couldn't do). Although it is a bit slack on RIM's part that the phone would have to be horizontal AND open to record in portrait.

The only other option at this point it seems is to start recording in landscape with the phone closed and horizontal, then rotate and hold the phone vertically. This of course would require using software afterwards to rotate the video either while viewing or permanently. MAYBE this will get fixed if RIM gets us a landmark update before the Torch goes extinct. But wish with one hand...and you know how the phrase goes about the other.
    11-13-11 06:57 PM
    If course, I still want to kill the filmer whenever I see a video on Youtube that's in portrat mode.

It just does not make playback very nice on tv/monitors, as it does not even take up 50% of the screen when in fullscreen mode
    11-13-11 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD