Hello all, newbie torch user here..didnt feel like reading through a million threads that dont answer my questions..so here goes..

(AT&T service)

I have wifi access at my home, and a few other places that I frequent, and all are setup and wifi enabled at all times to engage when it hits these hot spots..

now with this in mind, when I browse the net, I have the understanding that I'm using the wifi service, does this also apply to any application that is on the phone..right now I only have the preloaded..I mostly use facebook, and email for apps..i'm just curious, if i'm in wifi mode and run apps will that use the wifi service or will the data service for some reason engage and use up my data usage mb's?

hope this was clear enough..please help!!
    07-30-11 03:46 PM
    Most apps (and specifically your email and Facebook apps) will use the WiFi by default, when you are securely connected to a WiFi source. If by chance it is a poor WiFi signal, it may drop back to 3g (or even 2g) to maintain the steadiest signal.

FYI - Leaving WiFi on will adversely affect your battery life. If you find that you're not getting through the day with a charge, consider downloading S4BB's Smart WiFi. I love this little app. I've done enough testing to convince me that it extends my battery power by 15-20%. It turns off your WiFi when you're not within one of your designated WiFi hotspots. See it in BB App World. $4.99 right now.

Hope this helps. ~ecm
    07-30-11 05:08 PM
    awesome..thanks alot!
    07-31-11 04:21 PM
    great advice thanks
    07-31-11 06:16 PM
    No problem - glad to help. ~ecm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-11 08:11 PM
    alright folks..still need some help here..had the phone for about 2.5 weeks now.. i'm at 26mb of data use, and the wife is at 69mb of use.. we cant seem to figure out where the extra is coming from on hers..we both mainly use the internet when at home, on the wifi network..only use a few apps, facebook, yahoo messenger..and then the browser, naturally...any ideas? she says she's only on it when she's at home..not that she's gonna run out of mb's but this is puzzling
    08-10-11 07:47 PM
    This is a 'smart' phone, so it will always be looking for towers and connections, usually using the carrier network. BB's do default to Wi-Fi, but it will surprise you how often it's the carrier's network that gets used to browse, chat, or whatver. It sounds like your phones are still very new, but watch out for third party apps, specifically the permissions you grant (most of them want the permission to use the Internet or Wi-Fi). Some of the social networking apps can be killers and will use whatever they can find to connect. Also-it does check for new e-mail pretty regularly! I'm fortunate enough to be grandfathered in to an unlimited plan and even with all the surfing (like you, mostly at home on wi-fi), and BBM-ing, I still average about 100MB/month. Keep working with them, after a while, you will see a trend and know what to look for. Good luck and welcome to the Nation!
    08-11-11 06:18 PM
    Mail is pushed to your device so it doesn't check regularly at all. Actually, I don't believe it ever checks. RIM does the checking for the device and sends you mail if it finds something new.

08-11-11 09:37 PM
    Greetings! I am a new BB user and was impressed by the sales pitch of being able to use my 9800 Torch (ATT carrier) with my home WIFI versus using the data plan. Low and behold, I am not able to access Blackberry App world (or ATT's for that matter) due to the message "not sufficient wireless coverage or not connected". My other devices (when turned on, such as iPod Touch 4th gen) work just dandy and have NEVER had a problem. Is this possibly a router issue and BB not getting along or are BB's very touchy with home WIFI set ups?
    08-11-11 11:36 PM
    Do you have your "data services" turned to off?

I find a lot of people will put on wifi and remove this even though its still needed. My recommendation is so just drop the carrier when you are on a wifi network.

08-12-11 06:18 AM
    Data services 'are' on, ATT is off. I'm thinking my BB is just very persnickety about this. I am debating taking this sophisticated phone back and getting a dumber phone that might be more pleasing to my WIFI. I checked on the forums and found there are a lot of issues concerning WIFI & BB's. Not sure if it's the same with other types of phones (will need to do research).
    08-12-11 08:02 AM
    Data services 'are' on, ATT is off. I'm thinking my BB is just very persnickety about this. I am debating taking this sophisticated phone back and getting a dumber phone that might be more pleasing to my WIFI. I checked on the forums and found there are a lot of issues concerning WIFI & BB's. Not sure if it's the same with other types of phones (will need to do research).
    I have read that BB has problems working with D-Link routers. Are you using a D-Link router?
    D-link DSL 2640S Problems with Blackberry

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broa...iFi-connection...
    08-13-11 04:30 AM
    BlackBerry APP World will download over WiFI, but the connection to it MUST be made through the carrier network.
    08-13-11 08:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD