Many years ago (or so it seems) on a windows powered phone i had, it had the ability to send and recieve text messages and do other stuff using software on the PC it was plugged into. Would be very useful to me as i spend long hours at the PC with my Blackberry sitting in its cradle, anyone know of such a thing for the Blackberry or will i have to keep saving my cash and wait for Playbook ?

Steve.
    11-13-10 04:26 AM
    Many years ago the carriers were trying hard to even get people to send and receive SMS messages. They were doing all sorts of things to raise awareness of this new means of communication.

At that time there were a number of Windows PC programs about that let you send and receive SMSs. Some let you do this for free.

Those days are long gone unhappily and we must now use or phones to communicate in this way.
    11-13-10 05:09 AM
    Many years ago the carriers were trying hard to even get people to send and receive SMS messages. They were doing all sorts of things to raise awareness of this new means of communication.

At that time there were a number of Windows PC programs about that let you send and receive SMSs. Some let you do this for free.

Those days are long gone unhappily and we must now use or phones to communicate in this way.
    The software i mentioned did use the phone to send texts etc but you were able to use the PC it was plugged into to write and send/receive texts etc, thats what im looking for.

Steve.
    11-13-10 05:36 AM
    A quick google search came up with this:

Sending Text messages via my PC - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Not sure if it's what your looking for or not.
    11-13-10 05:42 AM
    The software i mentioned did use the phone to send texts etc but you were able to use the PC it was plugged into to write and send/receive texts etc, thats what im looking for.

Steve.
    You would need a remote control emulator to do that. Sounds like a neat app to write. It would be phone or manufacturer specific, of course.

On the other hand I can now type really fast on my BlackBerry keyboard so I would probably not both with such a program. Others might though.
    11-13-10 06:47 AM
    Just read about this one yesterday..here's a link in Appworld. It allows you to remote hook up to your PC via Bluetooth and send/recieve SMS, email etc

BlackBerry App World - Blurts Pro - SMS from your PC

From the weblink:

Blurts Features:
    - Display Caller ID Alert
    - Display Email Alert
    - Bluetooth auto connect

Upgrade to Blurts Pro for even more features:
    - Display Caller ID Alert
    - Display Email Alerts for all email accounts
    - Bluetooth auto connect
    - Display SMS/Text Alert
    - Send SMS/Text from your computer
    - Split SMS/Text larger than 160 characters into multiple messages
    - Answer call from your computer
    - Ignore call from your computer
    - Activate Speaker phone from your computer
    - Control call volume from your computer
    - Place/Dial call from your computer
    - Disconnect call from your computer
    - Blurts will auto start on device reset
    - Options to control alerts
    - Transfer PC clipboard to BlackBerry's clipboard and vice versa
    - Display sender's photo from address book for Call, Email, and SMS alerts
    - Capture image of BlackBerry screen
    Last edited by Rickroller; 11-13-10 at 08:00 AM.
    11-13-10 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD