I am using my laptop and a USB cable to charge my BB all the time. So far so good but the problem is, I need to switch on my laptop for my BB to be charged.

Now, how do I enable my laptop to continue charging even when my computer is on sleep or suspend mode?

I am using Windows 7, I already enable USB Power on sleep mode thru my BIOS. On my power options, I alrady disable USB selective suspend settings when plugged in. On Device Manager, I make disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Despite all the above, I can't get my BB to charge in suspend / sleep mode.

- Charles
    02-19-11 12:51 PM
    Why not just get an OEM charging pod?
    02-19-11 07:56 PM
    Good idea.....Here is a link I saw posted in another thread. $13.97

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Charging Pod for Blackberry 9800: Cell Phones & Accessories
    02-19-11 11:31 PM
    hey, you guys are not answering my problems. Lets stick to the problem

- Charles
    02-20-11 01:38 AM
    I think the point of the sleep mode is to keep those USB ports from drawing power etc. I am not sure if you could rework your Windows 7 software to charge in sleep mode.
    02-20-11 01:48 AM
    i dont understand why you wouldnt use a mains charger

if you have to plug in the laptop anyway to charge it then surely the simplest solution to this is to use a normal charger

in answer to your question i know that some toshiba laptops have a utility which allows a USB sleep mode but i dont know of any other software changes that can allow usbs to function
    02-20-11 03:46 AM
    Some computers have power to the USB ports when turned off and on AC - my Lenovo 410s laptop have a port that stays hot when the computer is off/asleep. Obviously this requires external power or the USB device would draw down power and discharge the laptop battery. For desktops it is how the manufacturer configured power. But if you have an external powered SATA port, this should be hot when off.
    03-30-11 05:52 PM
    In the power options for win 7 go to:

Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings.

In that popup there is a USB option, open that up and there should be an option to keep power to usb ports when in sleep mode. Least there is on mine.
    03-30-11 05:59 PM
    i have heard in other threads that charging from USB all the time can slowly ruin the device's battery life....

I always prefer to use a wall charger if i can....

as a solution (potential) to yor solution.. change the power settings on your laptop not to go into sleep mode, have just the monitor turn off instead...
    03-30-11 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD