So I've recently upgraded to BBM v7.0 and although the extra icons are nice (haven't voice chatted yet), the application in itself is extremely choppy now. Scrolling up and down through my contacts is just painful and it's almost as if the lag is being caused by the application waiting on some outside source of additional information. Anyone else experiencing this and if so, have you found a solution?

I'm going to leave it for now as I can still BBM, just wait and see if it will correct itself. However, I may have to revert back to the last version of BBM if this continues or RIM can't provide a fix. I have already emailed them both my blackberry hardware information and a description of the issue being encountered. I know this an old phone/OS and I should have upgraded to an OS7 BB long time ago but I'm up to date on everything in regards to OS6 software/apps. Like everyone else in the blackberry family, I'm waiting for BB10!
    Last edited by Carmels; 12-11-12 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake, just can't have that!
    12-11-12 11:41 AM
    Honestly, 9800 has always been more laggy than any other. Even the 9700 does better.

BB10! That's all I can say!
    12-11-12 12:01 PM
    hmm... I have OS6.0 with bold 9700 and it works awesome. Perhaps you should do some speedtest.net checks on your wifi network.
    12-11-12 12:01 PM
    hmm... I have OS6.0 with bold 9700 and it works awesome. Perhaps you should do some speedtest.net checks on your wifi network.
    It has nothing to do with network, it's the phone.

So I've recently upgraded to BBM v7.0 and although the extra icons are nice (haven't voice chatted yet), the application in itself is extremely choppy now. Scrolling up and down through my contacts is just painful and it's almost as if the lag is being caused by the application waiting on some outside source of additional information. Anyone else experiencing this and if so, have you found a solution?

I'm going to leave it for now as I can still BBM, just wait and see if it will correct itself. However, I may have to revert back to the last version of BBM if this continues or RIM can't provide a fix. I have already emailed them both my blackberry hardware information and a description of the issue being encountered. I know this an old phone/OS and I should have upgraded to an OS7 BB long time ago but I'm up to date on everything in regards to OS6 software/apps. Like everyone else in the blackberry family, I'm waiting for BB10!
    Try shrinking your OS.
    12-11-12 12:02 PM
    No issue with mine.. running OS6 on my 9800 Torch.. also was running the beta and again no discernable difference in the speed..
    12-11-12 12:11 PM
    I was just coming to start a thread about this because mine is doing the same. BBM 6 was really fast and smooth, but now it is very choppy and annoying. I have a 9800 and it runs very well, better than my moms 9810 in fact, but this upgrade is frustrating so far. Let me know if anyone finds anything out.
    12-11-12 02:04 PM
    It has nothing to do with network, it's the phone.

Try shrinking your OS.
    I don't think it has anything to do with the OS size, I still have 230MB of free memory.
    12-11-12 02:26 PM
    I was just coming to start a thread about this because mine is doing the same. BBM 6 was really fast and smooth, but now it is very choppy and annoying. I have a 9800 and it runs very well, better than my moms 9810 in fact, but this upgrade is frustrating so far. Let me know if anyone finds anything out.
    Totally annoying, I heard people who did the upgrade before upgrading their app world had issues when installing BBM7. I've updated my BB app world and I'm just going to back up my blackberry, delete BBM7 and reinstall it. See what happens.
    12-11-12 02:28 PM
    I installed the new BB7 and I use a Bold 9930 running OS 7.1.0.755 and a few times I have restarted my phone it made BBM lag... After awhile it would go back to normal, and I also restarted my phone a couple times and it worked smoothly again. I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's just a communication problem with BBID since they tied it in with BBM now..
    12-11-12 03:08 PM
    Update : I updated my os on my 9800 reinstalled everything and at first it seemed to help with the lag but it was short lived. Obviously it's better when i'm as home and connected to wifi, but it's stillborn smooth and even worse when i'm off the wifi connection. I hope this not what I have to look forward too until bb10.
    01-20-13 12:00 PM
    Update : I updated my os on my 9800 reinstalled everything and at first it seemed to help with the lag but it was short lived. Obviously it's better when i'm as home and connected to wifi, but it's stillborn smooth and even worse when i'm off the wifi connection. I hope this not what I have to look forward too until bb10.
    Installed BBM 7 since it was made available in app world, and it works flawlessly..no lag..just works. Maybe its one of your apps thats causing some conflict.
    01-24-13 12:00 PM