I've come back to Blackberry from an iphone, and have purchase a new unlocked phone, previously had phones from Vodafone. I'll be using a Vodafone SIM, where do updates come from RIM or Vodafone?
    If they're from RIM how as that option dosn't appear in the download pages

Thanks
    Richard
    10-24-10 11:59 AM
    You can run any load you like as long as it is made for that device ie the Boygess load is running fine now on my att device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-10 12:31 PM
    So if I use the desktop manager and chack for updates it'll just find the ost recent official?
    10-24-10 12:36 PM
    Nope! That will only scan for you current carrier. Look here at CB for the latest loads and the use the links to get them. Follow the upgrade directions in the "how to" section from there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-10 12:40 PM
    So if I use the desktop manager and chack for updates it'll just find the ost recent official?
    Desktop Manager will find updates that have been released by whatever carrier your phone is branded with. The SIM you're using doesn't matter, it's what the phone's branding is. Because the Torch doesn't have the name printed on the outside like other BBs, you can tell by what the default wallpaper was when you got it. What carrier did it have a logo for?

Shansmi is right though that you can install firmware from any carrier, as long as it's for the 9800. Desktop Manager won't find it automatically, but if you download the .exe it will work. It's slightly more involved though, you'll have to delete a file, so follow guides Shansmi mentioned.
    10-24-10 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD