I have heard a lot of reviews complaining about the lower than expected screen resolution and processor of the Torch. Many suggested that this less than expected package has been hurting the sales of the Torch and suggested that BB willl update the Torch's screen and processor to combat this perception.

Anyone heard anything about this? I like the torch but would wait if an updated version is on the horizen.

jasguild
    09-03-10 11:00 AM
    I would say it's off in the distance, maybe a year.
    09-03-10 11:02 AM
    The screen isn't THAT bad, it actually looks pretty da*n good.
    09-03-10 11:03 AM
    It is far enough off in the horizon for it to make sense to get one now. The present Torch has many features that make it worth it over the 9000 except the keyboard and speakers. Who buys a smartphone for those features alone?
    09-03-10 11:34 AM
    Compare the torch with other sliders and that's how you should gague the hardware specs if your looking at the bottom half of the defice that is basically where all the guts are considering its size they have actually done well to fit this much in such a small form factor

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-10 12:37 PM
    There will be a new model eventually. Just like the curve, pearl, bold etc.

09-03-10 12:39 PM
    I have heard a lot of reviews complaining about the lower than expected screen resolution and processor of the Torch. Many suggested that this less than expected package has been hurting the sales of the Torch and suggested that BB willl update the Torch's screen and processor to combat this perception.

Anyone heard anything about this? I like the torch but would wait if an updated version is on the horizen.

jasguild
    of course there'll be an updated version.. in 11 months or so..
    09-03-10 12:46 PM

jasguild
    The Torch is currently the #1 selling phone on Amazon.com - and has been for most of the last 3+ weeks.

Amazon.com Cell Phones & Service Bestsellers: The most popular items on Amazon.com (Updated hourly)
    09-03-10 12:57 PM
    I hope they don't increase the scree res. Doing this would only require more battary to power it and create shoprter batt life. Mine looks great, even set @ 10%
    Mess w/everything else but don't touch the screen res or slider keypad!!!!!!!

09-03-10 01:34 PM
    Better screen resolution and processor speed are going to eat batteries unless an OS change and/or a new battery type are developed.
    09-03-10 01:37 PM
    Better screen resolution and processor speed are going to eat batteries unless an OS change and/or a new battery type are developed.
    That's why RIM themselves and not carriers need to update the OS on their devices to make sure they can provide customers with an optimal user experience. If bb stays at this present resolution they're going to lose customers, no doubt about it.

Say what you will about Apple, but the screen on the iPhone 4 is amazing.
    09-03-10 01:41 PM
    The screen could be better but hey it gets the job done. I use my BB for messaging and the resolution is fine for that.
    09-03-10 06:06 PM
    my screen seems fine, and i'm comming from a Iphone 3gs so what i had before wasn't crappy, i would rather have the speed and lower resolution than better resolution and slower speed...
    Kevin
    09-03-10 06:29 PM
    By the time the next Torch comes out battery and screen tech will have advanced enough to allow better resolution with equal or better battery life. I am thinking more like the 9000 touch (Dakota/Magnum) will come first then a Torch overhaul.
    09-03-10 08:26 PM
    The Torch has been out for how long? I highly doubt we'll hear anything other than rumors for a while about there being a new release. An update is "possible" at best.
    09-04-10 12:14 AM
    I'll put money on a Torch update dropping before or around Q2, 2011.
    A 9800 software update before the end of September.
    That seems to be the way RIM rolls.

09-04-10 12:44 AM
    By the time the next Torch comes out battery and screen tech will have advanced enough to allow better resolution with equal or better battery life. I am thinking more like the 9000 touch (Dakota/Magnum) will come first then a Torch overhaul.
    Battery tech hasn't advanced much at all in the last 3 years, so I don't expect anything revolutionary in the next 11 months. I know that my present BB doesn't have better battery life than my old Pearl or Curve, but it does have better battery life than all these new Android phones with huge hi-res screens and 1ghz processors.

09-04-10 08:27 AM
    Battery tech hasn't advanced much at all in the last 3 years, so I don't expect anything revolutionary in the next 11 months. I know that my present BB doesn't have better battery life than my old Pearl or Curve, but it does have better battery life than all these new Android phones with huge hi-res screens and 1ghz processors.
    I did not say revolutionary. It does however continue to advance, and with the current hardware being offered in smartphones it will be and is something that manufactures are looking at, they have to.
    09-04-10 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD