Ok, we've heard about the new OS 6.1 which would be released sometime this year, together with the new BBs.
    One simple question is this...would it be compatible with the Torch (9800), and if so; would this new OS 6.1 solve some of the not-so-smooth issues of OS6.0?

The Torch is a beauty, solid; and the best form factor of all BBs, but in my opinion...OS6 didn't really do justice to it, and so; deserves better!
    Yes; OS6 is a huge improvement from OS5, but it still doesn't have that fluid feeling when compared to other major platforms...Android and iOS.
    Considering the non-fluidity of the OS6, would this new upcoming OS6.1 be fluid on the new devices, and if so; would it also be fluid on the Torch (9800), assuming it becomes available for the Torch, or would the lower processor on the Torch hinder it's fluidity?

I know most of us don't really know the details about the upcoming OS6.1, but RIM said that the new OS6.1 would be like a whole new experience to the BB platform, and they also emphasised on 'fluidity'.

Thoughts...
    03-31-11 08:03 AM
    Not fluid? What OS version are you currently on?
    I'm running 6.0.0.486 and my torch's UI is just as fluid as any android or iphone I've played with. I'll admit the original OS .141 and subsequent update to 2.46 were cr*p, but even .337 was heads and tails better at the fluidity of the UI.

EDIT:

I read around here somewhere that 6.1 is dependent on the newer processors and that the current torch lineup would be getting something like 6.1 lite? But your guess is as good as mine seeing as there are still plenty of devices that still don't have 6.0.
    Last edited by homer1475; 03-31-11 at 08:12 AM.
    03-31-11 08:10 AM
    Ok, we've heard about the new OS 6.1 which would be released sometime this year, together with the new BBs.
    One simple question is this...would it be compatible with the Torch (9800), and if so; would this new OS 6.1 solve some of the not-so-smooth issues of OS6.0?

The Torch is a beauty, solid; and the best form factor of all BBs, but in my opinion...OS6 didn't really do justice to it, and so; deserves better!
    Yes; OS6 is a huge improvement from OS5, but it still doesn't have that fluid feeling when compared to other major platforms...Android and iOS.
    Considering the non-fluidity of the OS6, would this new upcoming OS6.1 be fluid on the new devices, and if so; would it also be fluid on the Torch (9800), assuming it becomes available for the Torch, or would the lower processor on the Torch hinder it's fluidity?

I know most of us don't really know the details about the upcoming OS6.1, but RIM said that the new OS6.1 would be like a whole new experience to the BB platform, and they also emphasised on 'fluidity'.

Thoughts...
    The new "liquid graphics" should make it more iphone/android-ish.

Sorry, but I take issue with your logic. If anything, I would say you have it backwards. The torchs hardware isn't that spectacular, but the software is fantastic. I love my torch, but if I was being critical I could definitely point out some faults in the hardware.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-11 08:22 AM

EDIT:

I read around here somewhere that 6.1 is dependent on the newer processors and that the current torch lineup would be getting something like 6.1 lite? But your guess is as good as mine seeing as there are still plenty of devices that still don't have 6.0.
    Yeah, just like the storm series got os6 lite? Ill believe that when I see it

03-31-11 08:23 AM
    yea what OS are you running... you shouldnt be having any issues with fuildity on OS 6 if you are running the latest OS... i never did
    03-31-11 08:24 AM
    this is how i,ve read it as well , so all us torch owners at this point have the latest phone
    at this point but tough titties you get 6.1 lite who cares ,we are only rims customers i dont understand the logic, also it isnt even here yet and they are going on about qnx and 7.0
    so anyone would be mad to buy a new model of anything at present
    so summing up if you have torch or 9780 you maybe get 6.1 lite !!
    if you can wait on a rumored new model available sometime this year you get actual 6.1
    if you wait until sometime next year you get qnx or 7
    and is this only available on new unreleased models ?
    none of this is rocket science why is it so unclear
    03-31-11 08:41 AM
    yea what OS are you running... you shouldnt be having any issues with fuildity on OS 6 if you are running the latest OS... i never did
    I am on .448
    I am not saying it is still laggy as the previous ones, but in M̶̲̅Ɣ opinion, I still don't think .448 or any latest leaks would �ε̲̣̣̣ as fluid as iOS or Android.
    There's a difference between smooth and fluid, and .448 and newer leaks fall under smooth, definitely not fluid...M̶̲̅Ɣ opinion though!

03-31-11 09:28 AM
    Well maybe the ones with liquid graphic will flow better for you. I have a tour and it was offed months after I bought it. It works the same now as it did when I got it, well a little better with OS updates.

I'm not expecting OS 6 or anything, it might have been nice but the phone still works as it did when I got it. I do feel that my phone being EOL so soon was a kick in the rear so I'll be waiting for RIM to get settled before I get another phone.

Hope the tour last that long lol.
    03-31-11 10:49 AM
    I think this is a subjective opinion because all OS's operate differently, and some more similiar then others (Android's OS and iOS are fairly similiar in operation feel, IMO). Blackberry is more cut and business oriented, not so much flashy.
    03-31-11 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD