Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Unlocked/Unbranded Torch Rogers UMA/Wifi-Calling Help Needed Please.

Hello All,

I've been searching the forums here and using Google for the last couple of days trying to trouble shoot my problem, but I am still unsatisfied. I know there are similar threads, but please bear with me.

I have an unlocked and unbranded Torch (vendor id is 612, and it is really an MTS phone, but is unlocked and unbranded from factory), which I use on Rogers. For the winter months I live in Winnipeg and the summer months I move out to the country (still in Canada). There is a service provider here, say "provider A", which is just edge capable, and there is also some really spotty Rogers 3g service.

Before I left Winnipeg I called Rogers, explained that there is no Rogers access where I stay in the summer months, but would still like to be able my phone, so they added free wifi calling to my account. I already have unlimited CAN/US mins anyway. Since it is not a Rogers phone, I had to enable UMA by accessing the escreens, getting the appropriate certificate, etc. I had UMA up an running in Winnipeg without a hitch.

I get out to the country and have "provider A" signal, hook up to wifi, but can not get UMA to work, using "wifi preferred" as the mobile options setting. I then go outside, and pretty much have to get up on the roof to get Rogers 3g signal, climb down gently until in wifi range, and then the Torch will switch to UMA. However, if I leave the phone sit, it drops UMA and will not pick it back up again (when not in Rogers range), even if I select "wifi only" once connected.

Does anybody have any insight on this matter? I would be greatly appreciative for any and all help or suggestions.

Thank you all very much in advance!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,533 Global Posts

sounds like a signal issue... not sure if there is much that can be done.. i'm not sure if UMA is suppored on GRPS/EDGE/2G. Might only be a 3G/4G capability...
    T Brenn | tbrennan@crackberry.com
    BB Q10 | Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1"
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Configuring an unlocked MTS phone to work with Rogers UMA.

Hi:

I see you've converted your MTS Torch to work with Rogers UMA. You said something about setting this up through escreens. I am just trying to do the same thing with my unlocked (MTS equipment) Blackberry 9780. Can you (or anyone) help me through this?
    CrackBerry Abuser

UMA in the UK does work on 2g/edge, my old curve 8900 had UMA and would click on as soon as i got in the house,
    im not 100% sure but think you doo need to have some signal for it to work, mine is set on wifi preferred all the time (on the torch) and as such as soon as it picks up a good wifi network will click onto UMA.

sadly, am not sure there is a lot you Can do unless youve a way to boost the mobile signal??