I really don't understand the unlocked device. If I should obtain one how will it react on VZW? Will I get Customer Support from VZW? And is there any pit falls to using an unlocked phone?

I would love to have the Torch and OS6, and the rest of the upgrades but I really don't want to leave VZW because of the coverage.

Thanks everyone for you answers.
    08-09-10 07:55 AM
    The first question you will need to answer is if Verizon has a GSM/HSPA network? If so then the Torch would work fine, you shouldn't have any issues.

If not, then you're out of luck cause it won't work without a SIM card.
    08-09-10 08:05 AM
    The Torch will not work on VZW period.

The Torch is a GSM phone. VZW has a CDMA network.
    08-09-10 08:07 AM
    Verizon is a cdma carrier so you don't have a sim card along with it. Hate to bust your bubble but you activate verizon phones with the esn in your phone so therefore you can't ever have a torch until you switch to a gsm network..
    08-09-10 08:09 AM
    Ok so I dont understand.... you say verizon is a cdma carrier cool but the part about them not having a sim card i dont get cuz Im on verizon and I have a sim in my tour
    08-09-10 09:04 AM
    Ok so I dont understand.... you say verizon is a cdma carrier cool but the part about them not having a sim card i dont get cuz Im on verizon and I have a sim in my tour
    What was explaned to be the SIM in the verizon phones is more for contacts and doesnt really use it to connect to the network.
    08-09-10 09:17 AM
    The SIM is not meant for contacts, it is to allow your device to roam internationally on GSM networks outside the US.
    08-09-10 09:22 AM
    The SIM is not meant for contacts, it is to allow your device to roam internationally on GSM networks outside the US.
    +1

To the OP, unlike GSM carriers (EG AT&T and T-Mobile) where you can unlock any device that uses the carrier's frequency and run it without any issues, CDMA carriers (EG Verizon and Sprint) will not let you run any device that is not sold by themselves.
    08-09-10 09:37 AM
    Search please.
    08-09-10 10:06 AM
    If you took your SIM card out of your Tour, it would still work on VZW. It is only necessary if you travel overseas to countries that do not have CDMA networks.
    08-09-10 10:09 AM
    Thanks to everyone that has replied to my request. The bottom line is as I understand it now, DO NOT buy a unlocked phone if I am going to use it on VZW.

So I guess I will have to wait and see what VZW comes out with or spend lots of $'s just to get the OP6.
    08-09-10 10:37 AM
    the 9650 is an option to get OS 6 for Verizon customers. Purchasing it would be less than a torch as well.
    08-09-10 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD