It has the servicebooks that your carrier pushes. If you can find them another way you'll be okay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-10 11:16 AM
    Are you on a pc using DM5? When you get the servicebooks off of the old device and they're in the left side pane of DM just click file/save and save them somewhere. You don't have to copy/paste.

yes I am and i cant save them>> left or right click after highlighting the service books produces nothing..
    08-28-10 07:32 PM
    Well its all ok now with telus they are pushing it .... We just had to wait
    08-28-10 08:45 PM
    I wish tmobile would get a grip and update theirs!

08-28-10 11:25 PM
    yes I am and i cant save them>> left or right click after highlighting the service books produces nothing..
    Left/right click won't to anything. Ypu have to use the pull down file menu. If that doesn't work, as long as you can see them in the left side pane just try plugging in the 9800 and sending them straight over. It might be that you just can't save them on your pc. Dm5 right?

08-29-10 07:19 AM
    if you do a search on bing / google tmobile comes up 1900 frequency
    08-29-10 11:48 PM
    The native T-Mobile network currently consists of 36,400 cell sites and predominantly uses the GSM/GPRS/EDGE 1900 MHz frequency-band, making it the largest 1900*MHz network in the United States.[citation*needed

3G service in the form of Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) is available in most major markets. 3G (UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+) service by T-Mobile exclusively uses the AWS 1700/2100*MHz frequency-band, making it incompatible with other existing 3G UMTS/HSPA networks already established in the United States.

The 9800 will work on 1900MHz edge, but not 3g.

08-30-10 06:05 AM
    Whoa!! I got EVERYTHING to work without even doing the above steps. (Since I have a Mac and no access at the moment to a PC or older working blackberry)

Either way, I totally am connected with everything now. Perhaps that'll give some insight on how another method for this could be available. Sorry for not being able to give more definitive steps or a process but just know it can be done without the above steps. (Again, hopefully it doesn't randomly stop working tomorrow but we're good right now)
    $#*$(&*$#(*$(#*$(#

Ok so I posted that last week and now I can officially say that my phone's data no longer works. I simply did a reset to make my phone a little faster as it seemed to be lagging and now i see "edge" instead of EDGE and nothing is working.

Also important to note - before I was unable to send MMS and had to edit all Email settings via the T-Mobile site so I wasn't fully in the clear. Now that I'm on a Windows machine, I'm going to try the method listed for unlocking the Storm and hope it works!
    08-30-10 09:19 AM
    I re-read your post and see that you used an AT&T SIM initially. That's why it worked, you had the AT&T servicebooks pushed to you. Those servicebooks were wiped when you reset your phone, which is why you need the t-mobile servicebooks. The t-mob ones won't get wiped on a reset bc they register on the network properly.

If you still don't have access to a PC (you must be the only person on the planet that doesnt) then install windows on your Mac (bootcamp) and maybe do it that way?

Whichever instructions you follow you'll need a PC. My way is just easier.

$#*$(&*$#(*$(#*$(#

Ok so I posted that last week and now I can officially say that my phone's data no longer works. I simply did a reset to make my phone a little faster as it seemed to be lagging and now i see "edge" instead of EDGE and nothing is working.

Also important to note - before I was unable to send MMS and had to edit all Email settings via the T-Mobile site so I wasn't fully in the clear. Now that I'm on a Windows machine, I'm going to try the method listed for unlocking the Storm and hope it works!
    Last edited by xandermac; 08-30-10 at 09:36 AM.
    08-30-10 09:24 AM
    I've got a Mac at home and Windows at work. Here I am trying to do it quickly at work when Step 2 is not working. Why? Because the latest version of BB Desktop Manager does not have a "Backup and Restore" option as one individual option. It has them both listed separately and no comparable option that produces the same results for me to work with. I've done the few steps beforehand and now am unsure what to do as downloading an earlier version of desktop manager may or may not solve the problem if I've already done step 1? Please advise.

This is the step I'm referring to:
    Now, Open Desktop Manager and go to Back up and Restore>Advanced. You will see the Storm's databases in the box on the right. Over the box on the left, select File>Open. Locate and Double click on the Service books .ipd file you downloaded and extracted earlier. They should now be in the left box. Single click to highlight them in the left box and hit the bottom of the two middle buttons to transfer them to the Storm. When that is done, return to the Main Menu, then close Desktop Manager.
    08-30-10 01:54 PM
    Isn't that from the storm thread? Use DM5 instead.

I've got a Mac at home and Windows at work. Here I am trying to do it quickly at work when Step 2 is not working. Why? Because the latest version of BB Desktop Manager does not have a "Backup and Restore" option as one individual option. It has them both listed separately and no comparable option that produces the same results for me to work with. I've done the few steps beforehand and now am unsure what to do as downloading an earlier version of desktop manager may or may not solve the problem if I've already done step 1? Please advise.

This is the step I'm referring to:
    08-30-10 02:00 PM
    Is there any other way to get uma unlocked? I lost my 8900 and do not have another phone to copy from.
    08-30-10 02:15 PM
    Enabling uma doesn't require another phone. It's getting the correct servicebooks that requires another phone. Or you can try to find your carriers generic servicebooks online somewhere to download.

Is there any other way to get uma unlocked? I lost my 8900 and do not have another phone to copy from.
    08-30-10 02:18 PM
    XANDERMAC, a BIG THANK YOU...I bought a Torch & im also on t-mobile, I followed your instructions & i also used the DM6 & everything went real good. everything works like you said, except 3g, but no problem. Thank You once again & take care...
    08-30-10 02:26 PM
    Isn't that from the storm thread? Use DM5 instead.
    Yeah, I was referred to the Storm thread earlier. Did all of these actions and got email, BBM to work again, web browser MMS and some internet apps (including FB) weren't connecting. I still see edge and saw EDGE a couple times when I first got it running after doing all of the above. Now it seems all of it is working but I still don't trust it really... it seems to be temperamental since I got it. I still see "edge" too despite it seemingly all working. Does this mean it's bound to not fully work again since EDGE is usually the sign that all is OK?

Thanks for your help either way!
    08-30-10 06:44 PM
    I initially used the crackutil method and everything workd fine. I came up with this method because it doesn't involve removing system files with crackutil and it ensures you have the latest servicebooks for any carrier. I think my method has worked reliably for everyone that's has followed the steps properly, it's quick and easy and will work on any phone. If you're not having much luck you might be better off with a tmobile supported device.

08-30-10 06:59 PM
    Worked like a charm the first time. (Desktop Manager 6 and tmobile USA) Thanks.

08-31-10 01:32 AM
    After the edge was there, EDGE started to pop up and hasn't disappeared since... so far, so good. Thanks man
    08-31-10 08:03 AM
    I followed the instructions and my torch 9800 is connecting to the internet trough the network, the blackberry messenger is working too, I'm in the Dominican Republic, my carrier is Orange, the only thing that is still not working is the e mail programming.
    08-31-10 09:02 AM
    Ha, I screwed it up.

For some reason my email nor SMS weren't opening up all day yesterday and even this morning (a phone issue obviously and not network). I did a battery pull crossing my fingers and hoping it wouldn't mess with my settings but of course it did.

I went through all of the above steps again and was able to get the EDGE network - only my browser didn't work but most third party apps did. Now it's gone back down to edge and oddly enough, my browser works flawlessly but all other apps don't.

Am I missing anything (settings) that may have reset itself during the battery pull but could not be replicated again by doing the above method? APN settings or something? I've got wap.voicestream.com and no pw/username. Anything else I can try in terms of troubleshooting?
    09-01-10 04:23 PM
  21. chanthavy.chhinn@tmic.com.kh's Avatar
    how to unlock BlackBerry Curse 8310 from AT&T
    09-01-10 10:06 PM
    Xandermac - Thank you very much for the instructions! I followed your directions and everything is working great so far.

how to unlock BlackBerry Curse 8310 from AT&T
    You can go to CellUnlock.net.

I used them to unlock the Torch.
    09-02-10 03:01 AM
    i did an export on 8700 with my sim inside and restore to my torch and everything started to work correctly....
    many thanks xandermac!!
    09-02-10 08:46 AM
    hi i dont know if this is a stupid question but im thinking of importing an unlocked torch from america as its not available in the uk, but it still said to check if carriers compatible, does anyone know if its compatable with an o2 sim card?????
    09-02-10 02:42 PM
    hi i dont know if this is a stupid question but im thinking of importing an unlocked torch from america as its not available in the uk, but it still said to check if carriers compatible, does anyone know if its compatable with an o2 sim card?????
    if you use my instructions it'll work on any gsm network.

09-02-10 02:46 PM
538 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD