I have searched, but have not found the answers I specifically worry about. I am headed to Gold Coast, QLD, Australia November 2011 and will be there about 2-2.5 weeks. My goal is to have my Torch by my side with all the usual functionality that it has when in the States. Obviously I don't expect to be able to call the States at the same low cost, but I want to be able to use the phone in country just as I do at home. I am constantly checking my Twitter, getting my G-Mail, using the internet, checking in on my FB, posting pictures to the usual social media.
    I was in Malaysia in 2006 (pre-BlackBerry for me) and we simply borrowed a GSM phone and bought a cheap SIM. It was perfect. Even calling the US was cheap. I'd like to do that in Australia, but with my Torch. If I have the email and social media, I could get by without cheap phone call to US capability.
    Thanks for reading all this, I hope SOMEONE has done this and has tips, and what pitfalls to watch out for.
    08-27-11 02:37 PM
    I have searched, but have not found the answers I specifically worry about. I am headed to Gold Coast, QLD, Australia November 2011 and will be there about 2-2.5 weeks. My goal is to have my Torch by my side with all the usual functionality that it has when in the States. Obviously I don't expect to be able to call the States at the same low cost, but I want to be able to use the phone in country just as I do at home. I am constantly checking my Twitter, getting my G-Mail, using the internet, checking in on my FB, posting pictures to the usual social media.
    I was in Malaysia in 2006 (pre-BlackBerry for me) and we simply borrowed a GSM phone and bought a cheap SIM. It was perfect. Even calling the US was cheap. I'd like to do that in Australia, but with my Torch. If I have the email and social media, I could get by without cheap phone call to US capability.
    Thanks for reading all this, I hope SOMEONE has done this and has tips, and what pitfalls to watch out for.
    Yes you can do with your Torch unlocked, you have to set APN to get connected to internet (Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>TCP IP) , ask the service provider that you use in that country about APN. Maybe you can use Opera Mini as a browser. Good Luck
    Makitso likes this.
    08-27-11 03:43 PM
    Just last month one of our Major chains have launched a pre-paid sim that includes data for $29, have a look at this link, it may sole your problems.

Woolworths Mobile

B
    08-27-11 04:03 PM
    If you want full Blackberry functions, you'll need the Pre-paid Blackberry deal on Optus. Mobile Phones | Broadband & Home Phone - Optus
    Makitso likes this.
    08-27-11 04:10 PM
    If you want full Blackberry functions, you'll need the Pre-paid Blackberry deal on Optus. Mobile Phones | Broadband & Home Phone - Optus
    No mate, that isn't going to work. He'd have to fork out $200 just for the Blackberry Curve just to get the SIM card. Don't believe me? Check this. Optus - Personal - Calling Offers And Rates - BlackBerry Turbo Cap

Get this OP,
    Plans :: boost mobile :: Prepaid Mobile, Prepaid Wireless Broadband, Prepaid SIM Packs & Mobile Phones
    Boost Mobile runs on Optus network.
    Blackberry Super Cap. PREPAID.

Then invest in IM+ Talk. Free VOIP calls over BIS.
    08-28-11 02:42 AM
    Just last month one of our Major chains have launched a pre-paid sim that includes data for $29, have a look at this link, it may sole your problems.

Woolworths Mobile

B
    He's not gonna be able to use that data on most applications without BIS.
    08-28-11 02:44 AM
    In Australia, Crazy Johns has a prepaid BIS for 6 months for $25AUD alone. ( Link: BlackBerry Products | Crazy John's scroll down to pre-paid).

For calls and SMS, you have loads of caps to choose from. Unfortunately to get the BIS alone, is limited to Crazy Johns only. At least that's what I know of.
    08-28-11 08:22 AM
    The simple thing is to get it unlocked and use a pre-paid sim card for making calls and SMS... but for services such as BBM you will need to get a BIS from the carrier the you use in AUS...
    08-30-11 07:51 AM
    Wow, I had been busy and just came back to check.... and, other than a couple for real folks it looks like I've been spammed. Ugh.
    Read the original post, you spammers may figure out what I'm REALLY asking.
    No, wait, spammers ain't gonna read....Nevermind.
    09-14-11 08:33 PM
    09-14-11 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD