Anyone else really surprised at how good this feature actually is? I remember reading about it in reviews and whatnot and thought "Oh yea..that's kinda neat but I doubt I'd really use it"..Man was I wrong!

When I first got the phone of course I was like everyone else and busy fiddling around and getting it customized to my likings..and out of habit I was searching around in the Options (which is quite different) trying to figure out where everything is. Well once I realized that if I want to change an option or a setting alls I gotta do is start typing (anywhere) and the universal search will filter right to it..man did this make it SO much easier! Want to change your Backlighting? Start typing backlighting and the Options screen pops up with the link right to it. Want to find Joe Schmoes number? Just type Joe and BOOM its right there!

Anyone else really surprised at how effective and time saving this feature is?

EDIT: On a side note..does anyone find pinch to zoom useful? Most of the time I either read the website as I see it..or just double tap to zoom and rewrap the text. I personally find the screen still too small to use pinch to zoom and find it kinda over rated. Although it does work great when using maps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Rickroller; 10-03-10 at 09:31 PM.
    10-03-10 09:22 PM
    Universal Search is THE one and only reason I'll never be happy with an OS5 device again. It's more useful than I magined, and better than the competitions semi-universal searches.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 11:14 PM
    WOw u literally read my mind I was going to post something similar. I absolutely love this universal search feature. I barely do anything else on my phone. Anything I wanna find I just start typing and it shows up.

So useful. Definitely one of the main reasons I'm sold in OS 6 and will never be able to use OS 5 again.
    10-04-10 12:43 AM
    Universal search saves me a great deal of time. It's an absolute godsend for me and it just makes everything much more efficient. I'll never be able to live without it again.

As for pinch to zoom I use it frequently enough to make it worthwhile, but I'm glad I can just double tap to wrap around text.
    10-04-10 05:07 AM
    its amazing. Saves me a lot of time. Searching my messages beforehand on os5 was slow as ****, and half the time it comes up with no results yet when i scroll down a bit, lo and behold there's a message with the world in it i was searching for. Now it's great. I like the way it even searches options. Searched for "Default services" and bam there it was. Good times
    10-04-10 06:04 AM
    Universal seach for Goggle Local does not work for me. It does not find anything. Strange
    10-04-10 10:17 AM
    To me US may just be the best part of OS 6. (OK, the browser is pretty good too). I love it.

Pinch to zoom is just ok. I only use it 'cause I occasionally have to (little iPhone resolution envy every time I have to use it!). It works, but it's cumbersome - sometimes I inadvertently click a link when trying to zoom, or I don't include everything I want and have to resize. It's a good thing the double click works fantastic; I find it essential for a smooth browsing experience.
    10-04-10 10:35 AM
    I agree Universal Search is great. I'm amazed how fast it is at finding things. I have over 800 songs on my device, and just starting to type the title of a song brings up the songs with that word in it, and continues to narrow down the search as you type. Amazing.

For those who use Ubuntu Linux, there is a program called "Gnome-Do" that I use exclusively to open programs and documents that works just like Universal Search. It really speeds things up, and you don't have to browse through folders to find documents, or open the menu to launch things.
    10-04-10 11:57 AM
    Best feature to OS6 by far!
    I use it for everything. And love the fact that you can just slide open and just start typing...
    10-04-10 12:05 PM
    Universal search does not seem to be able to search custom fields, job title or notes in contacts...very frustrating unless I am doing something wrong or do not know how to use it properly.
    11-17-10 12:08 PM
    I love universal search.

Only improvement I can see which would be INCREDIBLE is to add in remote email search (Exchange via BES) into universal.
    11-17-10 12:43 PM
    Universal search does not seem to be able to search custom fields, job title or notes in contacts...very frustrating unless I am doing something wrong or do not know how to use it properly.
    It will search Company Name in the Contacts field..and it will search Titles (which imo is the same as Job Titles)..but as far as notes go..i'm not sure.
    11-17-10 01:02 PM
    im running 333 on my BOLD, and back when i had 5.0 i used a google search app which wasnt to bad. but i find myself using UNIVERSAL SEARCH every single day, multiple times....now i hear that the torch (with future OS builds) will be getting some sort of voice activating universal searching....now thats goonna be cool
    11-17-10 01:14 PM
    i'm with .448 and Universal Search not working with mail... any idea?
    02-06-11 12:56 PM
    nobody can't answer me?
    02-06-11 02:31 PM
    When you actually click on the search icon, and then go into search options by using the BB menu key it should show everything universal search will look in. Is the email folder checked off?
    02-06-11 02:43 PM
    When you actually click on the search icon, and then go into search options by using the BB menu key it should show everything universal search will look in. Is the email folder checked off?
    yes, i checked and all my emails accounts are checked ON... but it seems he only search on email subject/title... so strange.
    02-06-11 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD