so i have this error. not sure why. i just updated my 9800 from .337 to .450.. but then i realized i forgot to add the social feeds when i installed. so i wiped and reinstalled using bbsak. when the phone turned on this error popped up. so thinking something might have screwed up i wiped and reinstalled hoping it would fix the problem.. it didn't. after trying it a few times. i re downloaded the OS thinking the one i had might have bad. used the Shrink a OS, and reinstalled, still didn't fix it. am i missing something? doing something wrong? any help or knowledge to fix this issue would be appreciated.. thanks
    02-04-11 01:17 AM
    Have you done the famous battery pull?
    02-04-11 01:51 AM
    I'm getting the same message on restarts after I upgraded from .448 to .450. It doesn't look if its affecting the phone in any way though. Just an irritating pop-up when I restart.
    02-04-11 01:57 AM
    I get those all the time on windows....that is why I like a Linux boot
    02-04-11 01:59 AM
    ya many famous battery pulls haha. honestly i feel like a noob. but in the Shirnk a OS i was shrinking THEMES. which for some reason screws everything up. so im in the process of re installing with the THEMES added. lol way to go me for not payin attention. hope it works.
    02-04-11 02:11 AM
    I wish I had a 100 bucks to give to every BB user to try a premium android. Good luck on the font/color/placement change...
    02-04-11 02:14 AM
    regrettably that didnt work *sigh*
    02-04-11 02:26 AM
    Dont use Shrink-A-OS and see if it works, you shouldn't need to shrink anything due to the Torch's massive memory lol
    02-04-11 02:31 AM
    Dont use Shrink-A-OS and see if it works, you shouldn't need to shrink anything due to the Torch's massive memory lol
    what size is that?
    02-04-11 03:22 AM
    Are you restoring everything afterwards, like 3rd-party apps, messages etc ? If so, don't do it until you've done your first "fresh OS battery pull". Rule out a duff OS install/shrink and then restore the older stuff one by one. Some people say that you shouldn't restore your apps on a fresh OS, but re-download them again.

Use DM to selectively restore once you've got the OS booting
    02-04-11 03:29 AM
    what size is that?
    You can install OS6 onto the Torch and have over 300MB leftover for apps. Why bother shrinking out anything? If you have more than 300MB worth of apps and really need the extra 10-60MB, you're biggest problem isn't that you have a java.lang.nullpointerexception error :P
    02-04-11 03:34 AM
    I went from 337 to 450 and got that famous error. I did everything I could think of to fix it--batt pulls, reinstalls, wipes, re-download the OS, talked to my Torch nicely, removed and reinstalled 3rd party apps, talked to it some more---- Nothing!!!!!
    Went back to 246 (my carrier's official OS) and then went up to 448-- FLAWLESS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-11 06:20 AM
    I don't understand how these errors pop up. I updated from .246 (Carriers official OS) to .450 with no problems (Except not being able to upgrade with the hybrid). No errors like that pop up for me unless I'm in the eScreen. Best thing I can think of to fix it is, completely wipe device. Re-install OS, and instead of restoring everything from a back up. Go through appworld and Mobihand (Or wherever the downloads are) and re-download everything.
    02-04-11 07:12 AM
    i got the same error message after upgraded to .450, reflashed back to .246 then may try .448.
    it's weird that i have never had this error message before since .141, other thing is i also have problem sync my outlook contacts from laptop too. i did lot off batery pulls, wipe with BBSAK, tried everything ???
    02-04-11 01:34 PM
    It was corruption during the restore for me. I did a wipe, clean install and device rebuild to clear the issue...

wipe with bbsak
    install the OS and all RIM apps
    send service books
    Sync org data via the DM
    basic sanity testing
    battery pull
    restore BBM
    install 3rd party apps
    02-04-11 01:40 PM
    I removed Gtalk and this irritating error message disappeared for good! Gtalk was the cause.
    02-05-11 07:15 AM
    I get those all the time on windows....that is why I like a Linux boot
    You get boot error when booting on windows that's why you like a linux boot ? that make no sense. Linux does show error too when something is wrong with the system, like mounted partition that was not unmounted, or filesystem that need to be scan, same with mac, same with pretty much anything that boot with a drive.

message for the OPs, if you press and hold the menu button when it boot, if you are lucky you will be able to see the application switcher and, if you're lucky like I was yesterday, found that it was an app that was causing that problem (by seeing 2 identical icon in the application switcher) for me it was beejives, and as soon as I choose the second beejive icon, it then show the null exception. it's not only apps that does that, OS too, you can try a complete wipe off and reinstall just the leak os (not an hybrid) don't shrink anything and see if you still see that null message, maybe you are shrinking something that should not be shrunk.
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 02-05-11 at 07:31 AM.
    02-05-11 07:26 AM
    Eventually I just didn't shrink. Now the dang thing works fine. And still plenty of memory. Haha. Shrink a OS was just a habbit from using it for my tour. Guess I won't be needing it anymore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 11:49 PM
    i get the same error when i shrink the os6 (.461) as i hv some apps installed and i need some memory on my bold 9700. is there anyone who tried with different ways of shrinking the os i mean to say which items to select while shrinking and get rid of this error. help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
    02-25-11 10:21 AM
    I always got this error when I didn't wipe the device before installing an OS.
    02-25-11 10:28 AM
    Yesterday I installed 448 with BDHPv6.1 (prior I was running 'normal' 448).
    Any way, when I boot up, using the OS6 default Theme it is fine. If I boot up using the G Droid GDK 5.1 Grey Theme (which I think is fantastic), I get this error. I didn't have an error with this theme before loading the hybrid.
    Everything works fine though so I can live with it.

edit:
    I did a little device searching and noticed that I had two icons for GPS Telenav (which I do use). With a little fumbling around I fixed it and now I don't get the error at boot up.
    So to semi-retract my above comment...the G Droid GDK Theme may have triggered the error but it was NOT the cause.

Cheers
    Last edited by pmccartney; 02-25-11 at 11:45 AM. Reason: solved the error
    02-25-11 10:36 AM
    Yesterday I installed 448 with BDHPv6.1 (prior I was running 'normal' 448).
    Any way, when I boot up, using the OS6 default Theme it is fine. If I boot up using the G Droid GDK 5.1 Grey Theme (which I think is fantastic), I get this error. I didn't have an error with this theme before loading the hybrid.
    Everything works fine though so I can live with it.

edit:
    I did a little device searching and noticed that I had two icons for GPS Telenav (which I do use). With a little fumbling around I fixed it and now I don't get the error at boot up.
    So to semi-retract my above comment...the G Droid GDK Theme may have triggered the error but it was NOT the cause.

Cheers
    Custom themes can 'trigger' it. When I had the error, before I did a wipe and install again, I deleted every app, game and theme. Didn't get the error after I rebooted so I tried redownloading everything, and it was my iBerry theme that triggered it. So I did a full wipe and now I'm error free.
    02-25-11 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD