Is there any TRUE VOIP apps for the 9800 ?? I know Android, Iphone and Nokia support it.

Cheers
    08-21-10 09:00 PM
    Is there any TRUE VOIP apps for the 9800 ?? I know Android, Iphone and Nokia support it.

Cheers

Vonage Mobile is working on compatability for OS6. They just released a version compatible for OS5 in May even though OS5 has been out for a year. Hopefully they will be quicker for OS6
    08-21-10 09:03 PM
    Hmmm just checked it out and it seems it's not a true VOIP (for the blackberry anyway). It still uses your cell minutes.....
    Last edited by Rob1; 08-21-10 at 09:23 PM.
    08-21-10 09:21 PM
    Update:

I found and installed "Tringme" (google it) for blackberry. It's a true VOIP app.....using it on my 9800.

You have to purchase air time - so I signed up with $10.00

It does work but the incoming delay on the voice is to long - I would say 3-4 seconds - outgoing is decent.

Still doesn't compare to Truphone on IOS.

Anyone try this app and have feedback??

Cheers
    Last edited by Rob1; 11-15-10 at 05:38 PM.
    11-15-10 05:35 PM
    Blackvoib is supposedly decent enough to do what you're looking for. I think it's $30 to purchase though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-10 06:22 PM
    Tringme and blackvoib does true voip on Blackberry. Used both and both work well. I prefer blackvoib since its just a sip client and you can use your own preferred voip service. Ive tried it with gizmo5 and voipbuster and both worked pretty well.
    Tringme gives you some minutes to test out. Works well. But you have to buy minutes from them.
    11-15-10 10:59 PM
    you can use Vyke, it is very good, upon registration, you get $1 USD free to try it out.
    11-16-10 01:09 AM
    you can use Vyke, it is very good, upon registration, you get $1 USD free to try it out.
    If you actually checked their site you would see that it is not available for the Torch.
    11-16-10 01:12 AM
    If you actually checked their site you would see that it is not available for the Torch.
    I used it bro, it works, just download it and try

You can set it to automatically intercept international calls and international SMS then when it senses that anything is international, Vyke will run automatically using the internet rather than charging you international rates.
    11-16-10 01:42 AM
    Guys,

For Blackvoip and Vyke - how was the audio delay?? Like I said - Tringme has bad incoming delays....

Cheers
    11-16-10 02:28 AM
    Guys,

For Blackvoip and Vyke - how was the audio delay?? Like I said - Tringme has bad incoming delays....

Cheers
    No audio delay, sounds as if it were a regular phone call.

Plus I can make phone calls to the USA and Canada for free
    11-16-10 02:54 AM
    I Googled ' BlackBerry voip ' and I got quite a few answers. Too many to post here, in fact.

Perhaps you should try that and then ask here about the products you favor.

imo it is about time we got VOIP on the BlackBerry. I have never really seen the need for anything other than a digital bit stream into my phone.
    11-16-10 03:00 AM
    I installed tringme on my bb9700. Seems to work on outgoing calls but I don't know if it works on incoming calls too. Do I need to get their special phone number assigned to me? Or does Tringme automatically intercept incoming calls to my regular bb phone number then re-route over VOIP?
    11-16-10 06:22 AM
    I installed tringme on my bb9700. Seems to work on outgoing calls but I don't know if it works on incoming calls too. Do I need to get their special phone number assigned to me? Or does Tringme automatically intercept incoming calls to my regular bb phone number then re-route over VOIP?
    I'm pretty sure it re-routes it.

Downloaded Vyke..but it DOES NOT support Torch. You have to download it for the Storm series to install it. I haven't tried it yet..but from reading the questions and answers..Vyke doesnt seem to support WiFi usage for Blackberry...unlike Tringme. It specifically says it supports WiFi for iPhone however Kind of negates the purpose in my opinion. If i'm travelling abroad..i'm trying to minimize my data usage because the data rates are outrageous..so if Vyke is using my data rather than allowing me to use WiFi..that's a deal breaker. Like I said though..i have yet to try it out to be certain..so if anyone has any better info it'd be appreciated.

EDIT: After playing with the settings in Vyke..it tells me that it will use WiFi when available..so thats a good thing. Now I guess i'll need to test it out next time i'm abroad
    Last edited by Rickroller; 11-16-10 at 08:37 AM.
    11-16-10 08:33 AM
    i just downloaded vyke and i wanted to try it but i never got my free $1 to try. I am using tring me right now and it works great on call back as i have unlimited incoming, but vyke is way cheaper
    11-16-10 09:29 AM
    Ok i guess I'm a n00b here and cant figure out why you would want VOIP that you have to pay for, instead of just using your plan minutes your already paying for?
    11-16-10 09:44 AM
    Ok i guess I'm a n00b here and cant figure out why you would want VOIP that you have to pay for, instead of just using your plan minutes your already paying for?
    Well..for starters..it's $0.25/min for me (and that's after paying a $20 fee) for me to use my phone when I travel to the States for voice minutes..and $1/Mb of data usage (after paying a $10/fee). With VoiP you pay about $0.01/min for airtime. That's a BIG difference. Not to mention you can do it over WiFi so that you don't actually incur any data charges on top of it.

If you don't travel overseas or out of the country..then it's pointless.
    11-16-10 12:08 PM
    I'm going to be registering Blackvoib later this week so that I can use my data plan for phone calls and work calls. I'm constantly outside of my local calling area for work, so any calls I receive are long distance. Last month I had $80 in long distance charges simply because I work an hour from home.

With Blackvoib, I'll be able to register with an SIP provider to get another phone number, and I'll be able to route all of my calls through that number to save me paying long distance charges.
    11-17-10 12:14 AM
    If you don't travel overseas or out of the country..then it's pointless.
    I got you now. No I don't travel outside the states too often. Least not enough to bother with using voip. I can now see how its useful though.

I often forget a lot of people here don't live in the states either, and often incur roaming and/or long distance charges(most plans here in the states have nation wide long distance included). Could also see now how voip would help in that manner too.
    11-17-10 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD