Well I took the plunge today and traded in my Samsung Captivate and got the Torch. All I have to say is why did I take so long?!?! The Torch is not as fancy as the Captivate, and this may sound cheesy, but it just feels right lol.

Some of the deal breakers for me on the Captivate:

� No LED notification so I have to constantly check the phone
    � Email is just nowhere near that of a Blackberry
    � Copy and paste is so tedious and time-consuming
    � Contrary to popular belief, there is quite a bit of lag
    � Because the screen is so big but BEAUTIFUL, the price is having a big phone which isn't pocket friendly

The are some other ones but I can't remember now but I sure did like that Swype.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 08:47 PM
    Enjoy your Torch and there are a bunch of us here to help when you need it.
    08-22-10 08:48 PM
    Me too, glad I did, the only thing I miss is the google maps/navigation, but I had many of the same problems not to mention contacts being deleted. The Torch works much better for me, but not for everyone.
    08-22-10 08:48 PM
    I played with the Captivate in the store waiting on the guy to get my torch... It seemed like a really well thought out device, internet was quick, and the phone seemed really sturdy.. Good thing to know my initial decision was a good one.
    08-22-10 09:15 PM
    I also took a run at the Captivate which my son liked better than the i4. It is a very good device. My needs are very simple and I am still glad that I bought the Torch even though I tested it for about 10 or 15 minutes on the same day that I tested the Torch prior to its launch.

08-22-10 09:25 PM
    I too went from two captivates too the torch and I'm finnally pleased and satisfied with my purchase

08-22-10 11:00 PM
    I have the torch and tried to see if my wife was up to getting a torch as well. She is going for the captivate but she is not a business person like I am and I know she watches movies on her old iphone and really digs the hd on the captivate. So one Torch and One Captivate in the home.
    08-22-10 11:43 PM
    I have to agree with the op on two points.

Comparing the Captivate to the Torch, yes, the Torch does "just feel right". And, if that's cheesy, I'm glad I like cheese.

This is my first BB in the almost 20 years I've had a cell phone. And it's only taken me 24 hours to ask myself why it took me so long! I guess you can teach old dogs new tricks.
    08-22-10 11:45 PM
    I traded my Captivate in for a Torch as well. The battery life on the Captivate kept me really nervous as I was always checking to make sure that I still had enough charge. Anyway, I feel very comfortable with the torch. It does everything I need it to do and it does it well.
    08-22-10 11:48 PM
    I too tried the Captivate. It was was pretty (beautiful screen, thin, light, fast processor, etc.), but I found the Android OS to be incomplete and glitchy. There are tens of thousands of apps for Android (that you can *only* buy from Android marketplace - so much for "open source"), and in my experience, you'll need them. If I would have had tons of time to spend on it, I am sure it would have been a great smart phone.

But the Torch came out of the box working. Basic functionality (e.g., copy/paste) didn't require aftermarket apps. E-mail setup on BIS was a matter of providing login information (Android required manual entry of the server names, ports, security settings, etc.). And on it went. Finally, after three days of tweaking Android, I gave up and got a Torch.

IMHO, RIM has provided a far superior user experience on the Torch than Samsung/Google has with the Captivate.
    08-24-10 01:56 PM
    Me too, glad I did, the only thing I miss is the google maps/navigation, but I had many of the same problems not to mention contacts being deleted. The Torch works much better for me, but not for everyone.
    you can get google maps on any blackberry......
    08-24-10 02:01 PM
    Interesting. The Captivate and the Torch are the two devices that I'm on the fence about. I've had a chance to play with both quite a bit and I keep leaning more towards the Captivate the more I mess with both of them.

Since my 9700 sits in its holster most of the time, the LED light is not much of a big issue whether it has one or not.

I hope ya like your torch.
    08-24-10 04:14 PM
    I dunno why Samsung figured an LED light was not needed on their phone.
    08-24-10 04:20 PM
    I dunno why Samsung figured an LED light was not needed on their phone.
    There's an app you can get that puts a notification light on the phone. One of the things I do like about the Captivate is that I'd be able to get all my emails instead of over half of them being truncated.
    08-24-10 04:24 PM
    Interesting. The Captivate and the Torch are the two devices that I'm on the fence about. I've had a chance to play with both quite a bit and I keep leaning more towards the Captivate the more I mess with both of them.

Since my 9700 sits in its holster most of the time, the LED light is not much of a big issue whether it has one or not.

I hope ya like your torch.
    For battery life, the 9700 is a regular camel! But the battery life of the 9800 is inferior, and the battery life of the Captivate is far worse (Think: Look for a charger after lunch or have a spare battery.).

But if you don't mind spending some time tweaking (i.e., you don't need the device for urgent business right away), and you don't care about secure desktop synchronization, you might be happy with the Captivate. That 4" screen is really incredible!

08-24-10 04:29 PM
    I too tried the Captivate. It was was pretty (beautiful screen, thin, light, fast processor, etc.), but I found the Android OS to be incomplete and glitchy. There are tens of thousands of apps for Android (that you can *only* buy from Android marketplace - so much for "open source"), and in my experience, you'll need them. If I would have had tons of time to spend on it, I am sure it would have been a great smart phone.

But the Torch came out of the box working. Basic functionality (e.g., copy/paste) didn't require aftermarket apps. E-mail setup on BIS was a matter of providing login information (Android required manual entry of the server names, ports, security settings, etc.). And on it went. Finally, after three days of tweaking Android, I gave up and got a Torch.

IMHO, RIM has provided a far superior user experience on the Torch than Samsung/Google has with the Captivate.
    You can actually get Android apps from other places than the app store just so you know. Although the majority reside there for obvious reasons.

Also what does purchasing apps have to do with open source? I think you're confusing two different concepts there.

As for email setup on the capitvate it's extremely simple, simple so much so my mum setup it on her Android device with no help from me.

Unrelated to this post, if you want a flashing red light there's an app that turns off the screen but uses the top corner to flash, it's free and is the same as how you see it on BB's.
    08-24-10 04:30 PM
    For battery life, the 9700 is a regular camel! But the battery life of the 9800 is inferior, and the battery life of the Captivate is far worse (Think: Look for a charger after lunch or have a spare battery.).

But if you don't mind spending some time tweaking (i.e., you don't need the device for urgent business right away), and you don't care about secure desktop synchronization, you might be happy with the Captivate. That 4" screen is really incredible!

Those were my thoughts. I love my 9700 don't get me wrong.

I have a laptop in front of me literally all day long, so checking email is not an issue at all. And I don't do anything that I need anything super secure. I do like the screen size.

But...grabbing a 9800 because of the familiarity is a nice thought too.

I always keep both a spare battery and a charger with me, so battery life isn't much of an issue.
    08-24-10 04:31 PM

The captivate can do a day if you manage the battery i.e. turn off things like wifi/bluetooth when not required is my experience but just the same as BB if you do lots of video/browsing etc it can be a lot less. The 9800 lasts far longer though.

Secure desktop synchronization? EAS over SSL which is used everywhere is just as secure as the BB solution and just requires an email address and password then will sync contacts, email, calender and everything else.
    08-24-10 04:33 PM
    There's an app you can get that puts a notification light on the phone. One of the things I do like about the Captivate is that I'd be able to get all my emails instead of over half of them being truncated.
    I checked it out and AFAIK, some Android devices (like the Droid) have an LED indicator, but not the Captivate. Also, the Captivate has no camera flash (i.e., no handy flashlight).

Also, when they finally arrived (i.e., inconsistent) the e-mails on the Captivate rendered nicely, but you still could not copy and paste (Yes, this is 2010, but nobody has told Google.).

08-24-10 04:36 PM
    I checked it out and AFAIK, some Android devices (like the Droid) have an LED indicator, but not the Captivate. Also, the Captivate has no camera flash (i.e., no handy flashlight).

Also, when they finally arrived (i.e., inconsistent) the e-mails on the Captivate rendered nicely, but you still could not copy and paste (Yes, this is 2010, but nobody has told Google.).

Bob I don't mean to be rude and pick points but you do realise copy and paste is possible on Android?

Also as for inconsistent emails that will sender rather than the device I should imagine.
    08-24-10 04:40 PM
    As for email setup on the capitvate it's extremely simple, simple so much so my mum setup it on her Android device with no help from me.
    I agree it was a very easy setup but that's about it. I waited hours for an email to reach my phone and even manually refreshed yet the email didnt show up on my phone for about 8 hours. But i checked online during that time and sure enough, the email had been sitting there the whole time.

Unrelated to this post, if you want a flashing red light there's an app that turns off the screen but uses the top corner to flash, it's free and is the same as how you see it on BB's.
    Did not know that, what was the name of the app?
    08-24-10 04:40 PM
    I agree it was a very easy setup but that's about it. I waited hours for an email to reach my phone and even manually refreshed yet the email didnt show up on my phone for about 8 hours. But i checked online during that time and sure enough, the email had been sitting there the whole time.

Did not know that, what was the name of the app?
    There are several but here is one;

[App] NoLED - Use the AMOLED screen for incoming notifications (Crosspost from I9000) - xda-developers

There are lots of BB owners going to Android so if you watch the likes of XDA dev forum you'll see lots of bb type of requests.
    08-24-10 04:44 PM
    Bob I don't mean to be rude and pick points but you do realise copy and paste is possible on Android?

Also as for inconsistent emails that will sender rather than the device I should imagine.
    Copy and paste are supported *only* on the web browser of the Captivate, and even then, they are buried beneath several menus. Other Android devices may be different.

08-24-10 04:52 PM
    Copy and paste are supported *only* on the web browser of the Captivate, and even then, they are buried beneath several menus. Other Android devices may be different.

Was that on 2.1?
    08-24-10 04:55 PM
    Was that on 2.1?
    Yes it was 2.1. Is 2.2 available for Captivate? I hear it has a desktop sync client for those who need security.

And to be fair, I never tried to copy/paste from calendar or contacts on the Captivate (because I wasn't allowed to put my corporate info on Google's cloud).

08-24-10 05:04 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD