Hi, I absolutely LOVE my new Torch, moving from my Storm 2 (which was also very cool). The device is great and the new OS awesome. I'm sold.

One big problem though ... when on a call the touch screen switches to the phone keypad and is way too sensitive. It is dialing and clicking things from my facial movements, even when I try to angle it away from my face. Storm 2 never did that, ever. I was looking for some kind of Torch option to decrease sensitivity (ideally while on a call) or lock the keypad when on a call, but there is nothing I could find. I tried setting all the sensitivity settings to their least sensitive (tap, hover, swipe) but it made no difference. I did read another user's kindly shared solution to install the stormslider app. I can try that, it's only 3 bucks, but really shouldn't there be a device setting to handle what seems to be a common problem? Maybe in a future OS fix? Or is there something I can tweak?

Otherwise Torch has exceeded all my expectations and I'm totally hooked. Except for Telus HSPA coverage in Richmond Hill but that's another topic.
    10-03-10 03:57 PM
    Do you have a privacy screen (or screen protector) installed? If so, that's why.

There's lots of threads on this issue (please search in the future), but I'll do the work for you this time:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/pr...g-call-534851/
    Last edited by tellsells; 10-03-10 at 04:11 PM.
    10-03-10 04:06 PM
    Thanks I'll look at your link. No privacy screen though, just the naked Torch
    10-03-10 04:26 PM
    Ok have investigated that thread re the proximity sensor, didn't find it in my earlier searches. Here's the deal. No privacy screen. When I do a test call if I put my hand on the LED the screen blanks as designed. I think what is happening is that ... I have long hair, when I answer and my hair is between the phone and face the sensor is blocked similarly to when you have a screen protector. Strange but true. If I put it right against my ear the sensor works. This is all very interesting thank god for these forums. What an easy solution. So they need to add a chapter in the Torch manual "If you have long hair ..." lol. Or maybe would be cool if you could adjust the sensor.
    10-03-10 04:45 PM
    I have long and thick hair, and the sensor just couldn't deal with it, and it's a pain to constantly have to deal with worrying about where my hair is during a call. Downloaded TalkLock (free) and it took care of the problem.
    10-03-10 04:52 PM
    I have medium length and I never noticed anything. I was actually shocked how well it worked (as it, I can see it turning black while putting it close to my face) as I had not expected it too from reading the forums here. Maybe I just position my hair without noticing it!
    10-03-10 05:05 PM
    Hmm I think it must be a matter of the sensitivity of the particular phone and the particular hair that is between it and the face. I suggest that RIM have long haired people on Development and QA lol. Seriously this is a very sophisticated technology, impressive, great to know it works, AND how to work around unanticipated scenarios (can you tell I'm a project manager?) lol good for rim i love this phone.
    10-03-10 05:37 PM
    I have a different problem with mine...The sensor works very well when I receive calls, dial calls from the phonebook or direct dialing but it does not work at all when I use a pre-programmed speed dial # such as accessing voice mail. Strange, because my wife's Torch's proximity sensor works well all the time.
    10-03-10 05:40 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/screenlock-148165/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD