I went abroad 2 days ago, so I turned off data services to avoid high charges, I only turn it back on when I use wifi. My mobile network is still on. Now after 30 hours of charging, I'm at 50 percent, normally my torch dies after 12-14 hours.. I was still playing/listening to music and browsing. So I'll try to reduce my data usage in the future for better battery life. I just wanted to share this experiment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-11 06:31 AM
    True. But, I would miss the emails and messages not coming in.
    09-24-11 07:46 AM
    that would be true but why have a data plan and not use it which makes it seem pointless
    pjmacklin likes this.
    09-24-11 10:04 AM
    I went abroad 2 days ago, so I turned off data services to avoid high charges, I only turn it back on when I use wifi. My mobile network is still on. Now after 30 hours of charging, I'm at 50 percent, normally my torch dies after 12-14 hours.. I was still playing/listening to music and browsing. So I'll try to reduce my data usage in the future for better battery life. I just wanted to share this experiment.

It's a common practice to turn Data Services off when roaming to prevent incurring huge data charges when traveling. Extending battery life is a bonus.

Thanks for sharing
    09-24-11 10:13 AM
    that would be true but why have a data plan and not use it which makes it seem pointless
    Of course it'd be pointless without data plan. Still, it can be useful when you are running low on battery.

09-24-11 10:54 AM
    That would be true for any phone (excluding John's Phone).
    09-24-11 11:18 AM
    You know, Friday I didn't realize my Mobile Network was off at 8am, and when I finally turned it back on after 2 hours and 15 minutes, it was still at 100%. No Wifi either. I even clicked on my BlackBattery app because sometimes it gets stuck and turns off in the background to where the battery does not automatically decrease over time, and it still showed 100%. I was like, "Wow now That's how to really save battery!"...though my Torch can last 1-2 days max.
    09-25-11 03:02 AM
    Of course it'd be pointless without data plan. Still, it can be useful when you are running low on battery.

yes that is true to... i didnt think of it that way... but really i dont know how anyone would use to much data on their blackberrys cause my plan i have 1GB of data and every month i only use up to 200MB or less of data usage and i use facebook, bbm, email, browser and gps and stuff.. the only reason i can see people using alot of data is if they watch alot of youtube videos
    09-25-11 08:05 AM
    i experienced the same, also using edge instead of 3G helps a lot. even when i have 3G coverage here i use edge only, as i'm usually connected to WiFi.. and for calls + texts its by far enough
    09-25-11 08:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD