I used to be a BB user and i switched to iphone
    but since the 3gs is having issues on the os (at least mine is)
    is the torch worth switching to?
    08-31-10 04:04 PM
    I'd say it depends on how much you like the iPhone and how much you feel the urge to change. I chose the Torch over the iPhone.
    08-31-10 04:25 PM
    i like my iphone but i don't have many apps, the same things really i have on my ipod or blackberry
    facebook, myspace, twitter ect
    i actually really miss blackberry and BBM and all the things it can do
    i hate the email service in IPHONE it takes forever if it even comes through
    i think I am going to go take another look at it right now
    and i hate the battery life of the iphone
    08-31-10 04:40 PM
    I'm in the exact same boat as you.

Currently have an iPhone 3GS and want to throw it out a moving vehicle. Can't stand it any more, most of the apps are worthless RSS streams of regular websites anyways.

Messaging is terrible, I have to retype things four times on the iPhone keyboard since iOS4 (they broke something).

And it's not like I can use a leaked OS or hybrid like I can with Bberry. Sadly, I switched after the terrible experience of the Storm 1. I had a 7250 way back when, so I desperately miss messenger and the ability to communicate.

So I'm thinking of dropping the 3GS for the Torch when it comes out in Canada this month (supposedly). But I'm still on the fence after being scared off by the Storm series of devices.

Good luck on your quest, and let us know how it turns out!
    08-31-10 04:45 PM
    9700 > Torch > iPhone

So yes, the Torch is better, but the 9700 (and eventually the 9780) is the best bet.
    08-31-10 04:48 PM
    yeah I have had nothing but issues since the upgrade
    and im over it really and at&t can't even fix it in their store then send me to apple store
    who tells me oh well pay the 200 for a new device to endure the same troubles.
    I do not have an upgrade so i wonder if I re sign a new two year contract if I can pay the 200 or if it will be 500 for the phone which would suck
    08-31-10 04:50 PM
    9700 > Torch > iPhone

So yes, the Torch is better, but the 9700 (and eventually the 9780) is the best bet.
    Totally disagree!
    All the phones listed are great, but for my needs and PREFERENCES, I think the torch is better of the three.
    It is a new phone so it has some issues to be worked out, but overall, as is, its better than both in MY opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-10 04:52 PM
    Totally disagree!
    All the phones listed are great, but for my needs and PREFERENCES, I think the torch is better of the three.
    It is a new phone so it has some issues to be worked out, but overall, as is, its better than both in MY opinion.

i don't know anything about the 9780?

but i hate not getting my email on time
    i feel like i like the iphone but i really miss blackberry so I am going to maybe give it a go

does this phone have the option to change the way texts look?
    08-31-10 04:56 PM
    Oh about the question, is it worth switching? Totally. I just came from an iphone 3g and if anything else, I would rather go android before going to iphone. So again, torch is worth it!

08-31-10 04:56 PM
    All about preference. I had the 3G then the 9700. All about opinion and I love the Torch. Having keyboard and touchscreen is great. Don't miss my 9700 one bit.

08-31-10 05:03 PM
    Never had an iPhone..but I don't think i ever could - no ability to customize, or load hybrid/leaked os's, and having to deal with Apple for everything would suck wayy to much.
    On the subject of 9700 vs 9800, i'd say 9800 as an overall experience, but the 9700 has a much better battery life and is a lot lighter than the 9800. But I also have a 9000 for work and i find myself trying to touch the screen when i want to click things because i'm so used to the torch. So i'll probably stick with the torch and whatever comes out after it (torch2, etc)
    08-31-10 05:58 PM
    i agree with the people who say its all about preference...if you really want to know what phone is better u have to try it out for yourself...if u ask a person like myself i would say torch all the way love it music, movies, emails, web browsing great productivity phone...i mean i create my spreadsheets and quick word docs from my phone...but if u ask my wife she will say iphone all the way she loves her iphone she refuses to use my bb...personally i don't refuse but i tried the iphone like the keyboard on the torch...but what u should really do is take 30min to an hour go to the at&t store and try the androids, blackberries and iphones and see whats to ur liking...if u go to a corporate store the phones all have data access so u can mess around with them.
    08-31-10 06:05 PM
    i went to an at&t but there was no wifi there, i had an android already I didn't like it
    the thing I was most concerned about going back was the touch keyboard
    I played a little on the phone but the store I went to has workers who dont talk to customers everyone was helping people or standing around doing nothing.
    how can i find out if its a corporate store? i would like to see what the diff in the apps I use are
    I miss blackberry and I am used to the crappy battery as I have an iphone
    does anyone know if the battery is better then the iphones?
    08-31-10 06:22 PM
    Depends. Is browsing, applications, games and media/music your number one priority?? If so, stick with the 3GS or get the i4. If email, messaging, some decent apps & decent browsing is more of your thing, then get the 9800. The Iphone excels in browsing and media and has mediocre messaging. The BlackBerry has great messaging and decent browsing, good media and mediocre applications. it depends on which suits you best.
    08-31-10 06:26 PM
    OP's sig is cracking me up...
    08-31-10 07:35 PM
    As much as I like the torch, I have to agree, the 9700 is better, and when it gets the OS6 update I imagine it'll be far better. OS6 just strikes me as a trackpad/kb driven OS, at east that's how I use it efficiently.

9700 > Torch > iPhone

08-31-10 07:37 PM
    i think the torch having a bigger screen is why i would like it better
    the only apps i use are facebook myspace and twitter
    i have some others but i dont use them ever
    i text more then i do anything i dont play games really

my sig. was when i first got my iphone
    08-31-10 08:01 PM
    Twitter for me is best on a BB whether it's my Bold 9000 or my new 9800
    facebook.. pretty much the same on both unless you want the retina display to appreciate the photos your 3 friends recently posted.
    but for SMS and emails requiring you to type more than 3 paragraphs
    anything with a physical keyboard will trump the iphone 4

i too came from an iphone 3GS..
    the iOS4 slowed down.. and bugged down the device..
    i guess Steve wants us all to upgrade to the iphone 4
    08-31-10 08:29 PM
    what is retina display??

the is04 made my phone close things
    it made it get stuck turn on and off on its own and do many other strange things

i text a lot, and i use twitter right now i am using twitbird on my iphone
    i miss bbm
    and actually getting my email without me having to check for it
    i think i will prob make the switch i can always switch back
    08-31-10 08:48 PM
    Retina Display is Apple's new screen on the iphone 4..
    same as OLED is the name for the Samsung..
    the two screens are really good...
    especially for someone who likes multi media on their devices
    iphoto all the time, video playback etc etc..
    08-31-10 09:05 PM
    i think the torch having a bigger screen is why i would like it better
    the only apps i use are facebook myspace and twitter
    i have some others but i dont use them ever
    i text more then i do anything i dont play games really

my sig. was when i first got my iphone
    Based on how you've described your phone usage and needs, I'd say the Torch would be an improvement for you over the iPhone. And no, I do not say that because I'm an iPhone hater or BB fanboi.

I had the 3GS. It is a slick, slick device. Well-made, stylish, and does what it does well. Lots of apps, some actually useful. But just like you, I hated typing anything on it. Hated it. Now I have big hands and fingers, but I spent more time correcting what I typed than actually typing anything. And the autocorrect feature wasn't that great. And also like you, I didn't really play games on it either. Plus, the email just wasn't as easy to get/create/use.

So if texting and/or email is your thing, then go with a BB. The Torch is nice because it's a hybrid (touchscreen + keyboard). But if the touchscreen isn't a big deal, try the 9700. Either way, you'll have a much better time using it for what you say you use it for.
    08-31-10 09:15 PM
    Based on how you've described your phone usage and needs, I'd say the Torch would be an improvement for you over the iPhone. And no, I do not say that because I'm an iPhone hater or BB fanboi.

I had the 3GS. It is a slick, slick device. Well-made, stylish, and does what it does well. Lots of apps, some actually useful. But just like you, I hated typing anything on it. Hated it. Now I have big hands and fingers, but I spent more time correcting what I typed than actually typing anything. And the autocorrect feature wasn't that great. And also like you, I didn't really play games on it either. Plus, the email just wasn't as easy to get/create/use.

So if texting and/or email is your thing, then go with a BB. The Torch is nice because it's a hybrid (touchscreen + keyboard). But if the touchscreen isn't a big deal, try the 9700. Either way, you'll have a much better time using it for what you say you use it for.
    i had bb before and i loved it
    i like the torch because the screen is bigger then the other ones its what made me like it i doubt id use the touch screen much
    i think i am going to try it out worst thing i retrun it and go back to my iphone
    08-31-10 10:05 PM
    Oh about the question, is it worth switching? Totally. I just came from an iphone 3g and if anything else, I would rather go android before going to iphone. So again, torch is worth it!

Agreed. I'd prolly go android before Iphone these days. Those Androids are fun toys as well
    09-01-10 08:52 AM
    The best answer is to try it yourself..come on don't be a lazy boy or girl..you know what suit you. Don't let people's emotion mislead you. Maybe you are a blackberry addict. Maybe you are an apple addict.

09-01-10 09:05 AM
    Depends. Is browsing, applications, games and media/music your number one priority?? If so, stick with the 3GS or get the i4. If email, messaging, some decent apps & decent browsing is more of your thing, then get the 9800. The Iphone excels in browsing and media and has mediocre messaging. The BlackBerry has great messaging and decent browsing, good media and mediocre applications. it depends on which suits you best.
    Have to strongly agree with X, but I think the 9800 is still a POS in my eyes.
    09-01-10 09:12 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD