My niece got caught outside in a hail storm with her 9800 and some water got into it. She dried it out in some rice and it sort of works but I need some advice on what most likely needs replacing.

The phone won't work if you slide it open. The screen goes off and the physical keyboard won't work. When closed, the lcd works, the trackpad and buttons work but the touchscreen is not very responsive.

I've taken it apart, everything but the screen assembly because I am lacking the appropriate sized torx, and the water damage in most of the phone I could disassemble was pretty minimal. Cleaned all the little corroded bits with alcohol. Put it back together and it has the same problem.

What I am wondering is if this is all because of water in the screen. The display looks good, could I just need to replace the digitizer?

When you slide the phone open, the screen stays on right till it slides to about the top row of keys, then nothing. The brains of the phone must be working because she's been managing her social life via Playbook Bridge and everything works fine that way.

Any advice would be appreciated. Would like to try to fix it if possible. Thanks.
    08-08-12 02:12 AM
    I'm not completly sure but sounds like ull need a new slider ribbon. I had a few tiny drops of water go through the speaker onto the ribbon and it broke. Ur better off getting the whole slider part as one piece assembled original/used part as they work better and replaced the lcd/digitizer and so on
    08-08-12 07:06 PM
    Was the cable physically broken or was it some kind of conductivity issue? I've now got scads of time to deal with this as the niece put on a sad face and her dad bought her out of her contract AND bought her a 4S. $800 hit right there. When I was her age my parents would have HIT me for suggesting such a transaction. Anyway....

Her sister was in the same storm and her phone got wet too. Hers is mostly working except for the odd random shutdown. I'm going to clean as much as I can of hers tonight, maybe it's some corrosion in there somewhere, but the other niece's abandoned berry I am going to refurbish and see if I can make us a spare. I have a new digitizer coming on ebay as well as a new full housing and keyboard (I think water got in the keypad too)

What is the mechanism that tells the phone when it's been slid open? There's gotta be something going on there. Would that be the slider ribbon?
    08-16-12 05:34 PM
    You are better off to get a new phone as you can solve this problem and another one will appear, and solve that one and another one will appear, sadly losing your additional investment and added costs in the end. Just purchase a new unit and buy the any loss insurance next time and sleep soundly at night.....my advice for what it's worth - my wife stuch my daughter's BB curve in Washer......wet wet wet.....she has a new Torch because I consulted others in this Forum who gave me the same advice I am passing along to you.....
    08-23-12 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the advice but I'm trying to fix it because it's sort of a hobby. Someone says somthing's broken and I immediately have to try to disprove that. It started with fixing computers but now it's progressed into me wanting to take apart everything.

Also I'm only in about $25 in for parts and if all else fails, at least I'll have practiced reskinning it so I can make my black Torch a white Torch.

If I can clean up one of these and at least make us a spare in case of emergency, it's well worth the few dollars I'm into it to try.

Plus I haven't fixed a Torch yet. So far I've fixed several Curves, some dunked, some full of granola (don't ask, there are many talented children in the family) and a Storm that got slammed in the tailgate of an SUV.

You might say I was just sitting waiting for one to break so I could have it to tinker with.
    08-24-12 02:26 PM
    Go for it!

Finding the right size Torx can be a bit pricey since the really small ones seem to come in sets. They seem plentiful online but with shipping can still get pricey.

And post some pics!
    08-24-12 04:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD