Hi all,

My friend is currently in the usa and i am thinking about asking him to bring me a BB Torch 9800 but i still have few questions (it would by my first bb device...)

1)Is it still possible to use 9800 without bes or bis even its on os6?
    2)The modification of the service book is done same way as ex. on Bold 9700 (enable �Legacy Restore Mode�, upload the same modified service book as on 9700 or do i need some different service book...)
    3)I know that the push mail will not work but is there currently any way how to get built in applications working when not using bes or bis but the common data plan (IM applications etc..)?
    4)I would use the BB in the Europe (CZ O2 or CZ T-Mobile) - would it work out of box or is some other modification needed?

Thanks for help
    08-20-10 04:26 AM
    Hi,

1) yes you can, but to be honest a blackberry without bes or bis is not a blackberry. But then again thats your choice.
    2) service books are handled the same way, yes
    3) on wifi some applications might work, but not all
    4) I am using my bb torch in Geneva, Switzerland. No modifications whatsoever (apart from having it unlocked) and it works perfectly.
    Last edited by nasharty; 08-20-10 at 04:56 AM.
    08-20-10 04:50 AM
    Hi,

1) yes you can, but to be honest a blackberry without bes or bis is not a blackberry. But then again thats your choice.
    2) service books are handled the same way, yes
    3) on wifi some applications might work, but not all
    4) I am using my bb torch in Geneva, Switzerland. No modifications whatsoever (apart from having it unlocked) and it works perfectly.
    Hi, im italian and i'm gonna buy a torch in NY in these days :

if i buy it at full price ( contract free) is it already unlocked or do i have to unlock it buying some unlocking code? Ur operator service book workings good on torch? i mean (push email, bbm, facebook exct)?

thank U
    08-20-10 05:02 AM
    You still have to have it unlocked even if you buy it contract free.
    And yes, my operator service books are working perfectly fine. Everything is working like a charm. It's an amazing device.
    08-20-10 05:12 AM
    So far, mine works in UK, Germany and Croatia. No mods needed except unlocking which was easy and quick. Beware of the battery though, as it really eats it up if you live in an area with bad service and the phone keeps looking for 3G.
    08-20-10 05:37 AM
    thats nice to hear- many thanks for info...
    The only question is, where to buy 9800 in miami or nyc (at&t rejects to sell it even for the full price if you are not their customer....)
    08-20-10 05:37 AM
    So far, mine works in UK, Germany and Croatia. No mods needed except unlocking which was easy and quick. Beware of the battery though, as it really eats it up if you live in an area with bad service and the phone keeps looking for 3G.
    yes ure right, infact i keep my storm2 blocked on 2G where and how u unlock the 9800?
    08-20-10 05:51 AM
    Hi!

If I bought it (free contract) i the USA do I have to unlock it there or I can do it in my country?

Thanks!
    08-24-10 11:43 AM
    Hi,

As long as you get the 16 digit mep2 code, you're fine. Just put your european sim card in your locked torch and it will automatically ask you for the mep2 code. Once you enter it, your torch will be unlocked regardless of your location

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-10 01:31 PM
    OK. Thank you very much for the answer!
    08-24-10 01:34 PM
    I use it in Germany with Vodafone...and it perfectly works.
    Just had to unlock it and to copy the service books from my old bold 9000...
    08-25-10 03:27 PM
    Why you need to copy the service books? Couldn't you send it from the BlackBerry configuration website on Internet?
    08-25-10 03:33 PM
    I didn't copy any service books from my old device. I simply did the following:
    1- moved my data from my 9700 to the 9800 using DM
    2- put in my swisscom sim card (switzerland)
    3- entered the mep2 code
    4- logged on the blackberry BIS website for swisscom and sent service books
    5- restared (battery pull)

My phone is working fine without problems whatsoever

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by nasharty; 08-25-10 at 09:32 PM.
    08-25-10 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD