OK after three days of working my way around this phone, I am still wishing I had kept my curve. (mostly because when I got the phone thru AT&T they don't even see fit to give me an operator's manual.
    So, by trial and error I am working my way through it.
    A couple road blocks I have encountered....
    Is there a way to set the speaker or handset volume higher other than pressing the side volume key? Is that as loud as it will go or is there another setting somewhere in options?

Secondly and most importantly, when I click on the bar under the time I go to a screen that text messages and calendar events' The text message always show a certain number. Just what is this screen for???
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have a link to a self help guide for this thing lol?
    08-28-10 05:25 PM
    To answer you first question, you can go to profiles and edit you ring tones by tapping the profile icon in the top left part of your home screen scroll done to where it says change sounds. This is where you can increase the volume for all of your alerts.

The screen you are referring to is called the notification screen. This is used to get a quick look at all of your notification. It is also called the today screen because it shows you what is happening today with all of your emails,calendar, texts etc.

If you need a owners manual you can go to blackberry.com and look there for a PDF of the torch's manual. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-10 06:03 PM
    Like I tell my friends, this is the best part of owning a blackberry. You have a problem, or question and you have a whole community ready to help out.
    Thanks for your reply. So the today screen is just for like a quick reference I take it. Are you able to delete it or clean it, or does it just keep updating itself?
    As for the volume, yeah, I understand the profiles for the volume of ringtones, ..... I'm looking more for increasing the volume for when I am talking on the phone. The other party always seems to be a bit hard to hear, like there is a bass control. Also it seems that when I am talking to someone on speaker phone, it doesn't sound as loud as my old curve.
    08-28-10 06:09 PM
    When tapping on one of the items in the today screen you will open one that item in its app which will delete it from the today screen. But it will contiue to update when new items arrive. Calendar entries will continue to show until that date has pasted.

As for the volume you can turn on enhanced volume that will allow you to have higher treble or base. To find this click the green button, menu,options, enhanced audio and select treble or bass. Once done with that I would recommand that you set your call volume to 100% for all calls this way you will not have to turn up the volume every time. To do this go to the say option menu as above but change the in call settings. This should make a bit of a difference for all calls as well as speaker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-10 06:21 PM
    The speaker volume control on the side of the device will set the volume - if you have it up all the way, that's it. When you adjust the ring profiles, that changes the volume of the appropriate alert.

If you PM me your email address, I'll send you the owners manual in .pdf. 277 pages!
    08-28-10 06:23 PM
    Thanks, tried the volume adjustment It was already at 100% but I changed the treble maybe that will help.
    Not real sure what you meant in the first part of the post for the today screen though.
    08-28-10 06:30 PM
    Thanks, tried the volume adjustment It was already at 100% but I changed the treble maybe that will help.
    Not real sure what you meant in the first part of the post for the today screen though.
    Mostly, you'll get alerts for messaging (email & text) & "social feeds" (if set up, RSS, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace). If you open the "today" screen, the lines telling you what the notifications are for will also function as links to those messages & feeds. If you don't follow those links, the icons in the notification tray never go away. If you follow the links, those icons disappear & return only when there's something new for that category.
    08-28-10 06:59 PM
    yeah, i understand the links part. I get an RSS feed, I open it and read it and it disappears. But....Right now it shows..
    Text Messages (4 Un....
    08... John D (mobile)
    08.... John D (mobile)
    08... John D (mobile)

Like there are old text messages. But when I click on them there is nothing there!
    08-28-10 07:10 PM
    yeah, i understand the links part. I get an RSS feed, I open it and read it and it disappears. But....Right now it shows..
    Text Messages (4 Un....
    08... John D (mobile)
    08.... John D (mobile)
    08... John D (mobile)

Like there are old text messages. But when I click on them there is nothing there!
    Did you have a task or appointment in you calendar for John D?
    08-28-10 07:14 PM
    no before that, it was my son's name because he had texted me a few times, It seems like those fell off and were replaced by these more recent ones.
    08-28-10 07:17 PM
    I had that same problem - if there's not enough entries in the missed calls log to fill up that portion of the notification screen, you apparently get a repeat of whatever there is - I deleted all my missed call notifications and still got 4 or 5 notifications for the same (old) missed call -
    08-28-10 07:25 PM
    Yeah, I don't know. None of those entries were calls. They were all texts that I read and then deleted.
    08-28-10 07:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD