The little plastic cover on the navigation keys came off on my new Torch. Less than 60 days old. Not a heavy user and not doing anything out of the norm, just came unglued. Apparently the only thing to do was to go to the Att repair center, long drive, and exchange for someone elses returned phone.

THey said it was factory restored and tested, but feels lose like looser keys and more broken in than my new phone. Nonethless, after a few hours of work restoring backup and most of my files--which took a long time for a newbie to learn how to get on the phone in th efirst place, the phone is working again.
    Bottom line, I feel cheated. I bought a new phone, full price, and now have a used phone, while ATT now sells at half what I paid a short time ago. Yes, I am learning the hard way that the price of the phone isn't the real price, but want to know how I can convince ATT to give me a new phone, or my phone returned with the little problem fixed. Otherwise, can't see why anyone would by a new phone if they are likely to end up with a used one anyway.
    Alternatively, I would like to be able to buy a new phone to have a spare for the current price without adding a new account I don't need. ATT gets a lot of money from me now. Not a heavy user of voice or data.

I expect others may have the same problem with that face piece. Barely glued in on fine edge. Looks like an after thought design rushing to get the product to market.

Are we all paying to be beta testers?

Thanks,
    Fred
    11-11-10 11:02 PM
    This is standard practice in the US.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-10 01:14 AM
    "new phone" doesn't guarantee you anything. It's just as likely to have problems as a refurbished.

Case and point, your original phone was new..
    11-12-10 01:54 AM
    I payed full price on the launch day and have been through two Torches since then. I returned the first one for a loose button pad and ended up dropping the second one and breaking the screen. The third one I got through insurance is the best Torch I have and I'm very certain it's refurbished. It's solid with no wobble, and a button panel that'll likely never peel. I'm actually almost glad I dropped my second Torch now that I have this one since that one wobbled a lot.

My refurbished Torch is much better than or at least as good as any other new Torch I've held.
    11-12-10 04:09 AM
    I agree with the OP feeling cheated. Even if the one he got (the refurb) is great-- it's still not what he paid for.

11-12-10 05:00 AM
    it's exactly what was paid for and agreed to in the terms he agreed to when buying from AT&T.

if you read the terms and conditions, which almost no one reads, they reserve the right to replace the phone with a recertified replacement.
    11-12-10 06:30 AM
    Also states they do not have to replace it with the same exact device. Just an acceptable replacement. Although the torch is still new and no one will be getting something other then a torch on a warranty replacement, they do reserve the right to send you something different.
    This is one of those things where it helps to read the fine print.
    11-12-10 06:43 AM
    I bought the $4.99 a month insurance on my Torch after my iPhone crapped out after only 9 months. I hope I won't ever have to use it but if I do it'll be well woth it. These fancy smartphones are too expensive and delicate not to pick up additional warranty or insurance.

11-12-10 10:07 AM
    Thanks for your comments. Yes, I am a believer in reading all the fine print, but who has time? I scan them and try to read at least some of the EULAs, but, by the time you load software for your phone as well as new phone "agreements," it is like reading War and Peace. One should really have a lawyer present to go through all the legalistic jargon that basically says, you have no rights, and we can do whatever we want to do like track your every move, and if the software craps out or otherwise causes problems in your life, that's what you signed on for.
    I get it, but don't like it much.
    If and when it works, the BB Torch is a great device. I am impressed with what they are trying to do, just not as impressed with the result. Mostly seems to be a way to get people to spend money. Maybe after another decade they will get it right. That's about how long it took to get the pc right, and now laptops are pretty amazing and dependable computer. Smartphones mostly make the user feel stupid.
    The Torch could be hot, but it has lost some of its cool for me. (Actually, it does get real hot when multi=tasking for any length of time. Good handwarmer, too.

Thanks
    11-13-10 11:35 AM
    Honestly, what's the difference between your own phone that has been repaired, or a refurbished phone? A refurbished phone is in no way of lesser quality than a new phone. Usually you are better off with a refurbished phone because that phone has been looked over more thoroughly than a new phone has been. Get over it.
    11-13-10 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD