Ok people, I haven't seen anything on thins about the Torch so here goes.

I work for a law firm where the attorneys are allowed to purchase their own smartphone, as long as it is a Black Berry or an iPhone (3GS or higher). A few of the main partners rushed out to get the Torch yesterday and the bright people at AT&T restored their old device's data to the Torch.

My problem is while I'm in the process of attempting to back up one of the new Torch devices so I can save the 800 photos that were transferred from an iPhone, the PC doesn't see the Torch. It charges over USB, but the latest DM does not see it at all. Windows does not pop up the found new hardware balloon. Has anyone had this experience so far? I've tried two different Torch devices and on 3 different PCs.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide on this.

Eric
    08-13-10 06:02 PM
    Do you see on the screen when you plug it into the computer the three options that say USB Device, Sync, or Charge Only? I wonder if maybe it's defaulting to charge only? Just throwing ideas out here.
    08-13-10 06:58 PM
    Are you using the same USB cable on all devices and PCs? It could be the cable itself is defective or the fact that micro USB is very poorly designed. Some cables plugged into some ports are very touchy, even the slightest movement can disconnect the device.
    08-13-10 08:29 PM
    They charge, but nothing else. We only had one cable available to us yesterday so yes, it was the same cable between the two devices. We connected the devices to a Dell PC, HP laptop, and Acer PC. Charge only on all three.

I don't have one handy at the moment to play with, but I'm sure that more will pop in for us to setup next week as more people play 'follow the leader'
    08-14-10 05:56 PM
    When you plug it in, the device will display: USB Device, Sync, or Charge Only

Select USB device and you're set.
    08-14-10 06:06 PM
    I also noticed that on my old Laptop, it takes forever for the new DM6 to see the phone, when before it would be second betweem DM5 and BB9000. Did you give it some time?
    08-14-10 07:04 PM
    When you plug it in, the device will display: USB Device, Sync, or Charge Only

Select USB device and you're set.
    I don't recall seeing that come up, but I will check again when I get my hands on another Torch.
    08-16-10 11:08 AM
    I have similar issues every now and again with my 9530. Sometimes I get RIM or BlackBerry processes that freeze in the background. I could plug the phone in and sometimes it would charge, other times give me a insufficent charge error, but it would never connect. An easy fix to this is to restart the computer, usually while I'm waiting for the computer to reboot I do a battery pull to restart the phone too. It doesn't happen often and I can reproduce the not showing up issue on the computer if I unplug the phone from the usb if it trying to connect to it. I am running windows 7 64bit and not sure if that contributes anything to the problem or not.
    08-16-10 11:20 AM
    I agree when the prompt comes up giving you the choice of USB device, Sync or Charge Only....select USB device. Also, if you're having an issue with DM, you can downgrade and the previous versions work just fine with the Torch. At my job, our computers are running some pretty old software, Windows Pro 2000 (sad, I know) and I am running DM 4.7 and my Torch works with it. Good Luck!!!
    08-16-10 11:46 AM
    I was able to test this on a device different than the other two I had last week, and I was prompted on this one. The others did not prompt even after 10-20 minutes connected. There was a reboot or two during the day Friday when I was testing.
    Will have to follow up with those users to see what is the problem there.
    08-16-10 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD