Hi there,

I recently recently purchased a new housing kit as well as a replacement keyboard. The kit was missing a T2 screwdriver so I am in mid project, but for all my searching around, I cannot find any videos or instructions on how to remove and install a keyboard on a Torch.

Can anyone shed some light??
    04-11-11 12:19 PM
    Check you tube for the disassembly instructions. Type torch disassembly. I had mine apart yester day. My t4 worked just fine
    Changing the bezel around the screen is not easy. The LCD is glued to the bezel. It may crack
    If you try to remove it. The keyboard is not hard to replace.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-11 01:08 PM
    Like Chaddface said, Try hitting YouTube again and looking for a video, most of them just look quickly at the basic disassembly of the bottom component, just to remove the bezel, and don't go in depth to remove the PCB and everything, and then focus on the top component, which is more difficult.

Once you get the bottom taken apart, It'll be like any other BlackBerry keyboard replacement, just push the keyboard back through the bezel, and push the new one until it's properly seated in there.
    04-11-11 01:18 PM
    Like Chaddface said, Try hitting YouTube again and looking for a video, most of them just look quickly at the basic disassembly of the bottom component, just to remove the bezel, and don't go in depth to remove the PCB and everything, and then focus on the top component, which is more difficult.

Once you get the bottom taken apart, It'll be like any other BlackBerry keyboard replacement, just push the keyboard back through the bezel, and push the new one until it's properly seated in there.
    Thanks, I've fully disassembled the torch with the videos that I could find on youtube, but no one actually bothers to take out the keyboard like you said.

Is it really as simple as "pushing"?
    04-11-11 01:22 PM
    Thanks, I've fully disassembled the torch with the videos that I could find on youtube, but no one actually bothers to take out the keyboard like you said.

Is it really as simple as "pushing"?
    After looking around some more, I actually agree with you, weirdly it seems like there isn't a video showing the total keyboard section disassembly.

The issue is that there is a removal step of a piece that no one is covering, I believe after the main PCB has been removed, there is another small PCB (Printed Circuit Board) piece that has to come out too, and that's the part I can't tell you about. After that the keyboard just gets "pushed" out.

I remember finding a video showing a full disassembly back in January, so I'll try and look some more to find that video for you. You may be able to figure out how to remove the keyboard via some (very gentle!) experimentation, just make sure you remove/unclip any ribbon cables that may be attached to the second PCB in that section of the phone before you pull that board out.
    powera likes this.
    04-11-11 01:25 PM
    I know this question is over a year old, but it's at the top of google so it might be useful for someone if I post some info here.

The bezel around the keyboard needs to be removed to get the keyboard out. The bezel is held in place with 11 plastic tabs that are melted to the other side of the plastic housing. You'll need to cut the 11 melted plastic tabs in order to get the keyboard out. Most replacement keyboards that I've found don't come with a btezel, so you'll have to find a way to glue it back in place. I can post pics if anyone is interested, just let me know.

As a side note, try not to get rubbing alcohol in the keyboard. It will shrivel the plastic membrane between the keys and the and the actual keyboard.
    06-13-12 02:00 PM
    Hello,

I don't own a torch but I appreciate people like you trying to solve posts like this that just left hanging in cyberspace.

Please post the pic of the torch you fixed and explain the work-around for whole plastic ribbon thing that binds the bezel.

Thanks
    06-13-12 03:54 PM
    I have done this before, mike is right, there a keyboard tray which holds the keyboard. I've replaced my keyboard before and what u gotta do is melt each pin out so the keyboard comes out. Ill do a video sometime in the coming weeks, possibly 3 weeks if ur not in a hurry. There's defo no videos on the net for keyboard replacment though. You need a new keyboard shelf if u replace the keyboard

I picked this keyboard shelf of ebay for �4 from 'ebziworld'
    Last edited by hasa77; 06-13-12 at 04:44 PM.
    06-13-12 04:36 PM
    Any tutorials for keyboard replacement? I poured 99% isopropyl alcohol on my trackpad because pressing the trackpad no longer worked, sliding around the cursor still worked, but using it as an "enter" button didn't. The alcohol poured down onto the keyboard, and this apparently melted something within the keyboard because it feels like mush now, parts of it don't light up, and the keys are swollen.

I'm guessing I need a new keyboard, but I am not sure how to remove this one because I see the plastic is holding it in place. Would I use a soldering iron to melt away the plastic? Would I need to melt the new one on afterwards?
    02-04-13 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD