After having the torch since about it came out, the most annoying thing about it is that when im on he phone with someone, it goes to speaker!!! it does it multiple times during a call. Anyway or anything i can do to prevent this!
    11-01-10 10:16 PM
    Do you have a screen protector? If so it is probably interfering with the proximity sensor that turns the screen off when the phone is close to your face.
    11-01-10 10:18 PM
    Something is wrong with your proximity sensor then because the screen should turn off when you put it up against your ears.
    11-01-10 11:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I dont have nothing on the screen!

So should i go to the ATT store or call ATT? i had the phone for about 2 months now
    11-02-10 06:53 PM
    It's possible that you're accidentally pressing the speaker button while the phone is against your cheek. I hold the phone at an angle so that the top edge of the phone touches my ear but the rest of it is away from my face. Might be worth a try.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-10 06:57 PM
    Do you have long hair? I have long hair and the sensor can't handle it so my cheek kept hitting the speaker button. I installed TalkLock for free and it locks the screen when a call is connected. Problem solved.
    11-02-10 06:57 PM
    I had this happen to me, I also put someone on Hold due to the buttons on screen getting pressed against my cheeks while. Strange that they have those buttons on when the call is in progress.
    11-02-10 09:51 PM
    I had this happen to me, I also put someone on Hold due to the buttons on screen getting pressed against my cheeks while. Strange that they have those buttons on when the call is in progress.
    If the proximity sensor is working correctly, the buttons would not be on during a call. The proximity sensor turns the screen off when the phone is near your ear. Screen protectors or long hair have been known to cause the sensor not to work correctly.
    11-02-10 09:56 PM
    Not holding the phone correctly will also cause this. The proximity sensor is to the immediate right of the LED on the screen. This area needs to be in extremely close proximity to your skin while on a call to turn the screen off. Hair and screen protectors interfere with the capacitive properties of the screen and cause the sensor to not react properly.

Try doing a test. Dial a number like your own home landline that you know nobody will pick up. Hold the phone away from you in a position like you're using it to surf the web. Move your finger close to the screen to the immediate right of the LCD. Once your finger gets to within about 1/4" of the screen, it will turn off. Move it away and it will turn back on. This gives you an idea how the sensor works and should give you an idea how to hold the phone correctly to keep the screen off during calls. The only time I've ever had an issue with on-screen buttons during a call was the very first call I took on the phone, and it was because I didn't know about the sensor at the time. Never had an issue since.
    11-03-10 09:17 AM
    Coming from an older BB I actually thought they forgot the sensor in the 9800... Come to find out, it was the AT&T privacy screen protector that they put on it at the store at time of purchase, that was blocking the proximity sensor. After removing that I have no issue when holding the phone to my ear in a normal phone fashion.
    11-03-10 11:56 AM
    Oh, man! homer1475-that's what happened with me! I dropped $20 for their privacy screen protector and now I have to remove it! Nothing like flushing $20 down the toilet!
    11-19-10 09:11 PM
    This happened to me last night, VERY annoying.
    11-19-10 09:26 PM
    This used to always happen to me when I had the Torch and I thought it was an OS bug, never thought that the screen protector could do this

But this is a shame, as one wouldn't want his new toy to be scratched and lose its glamour....
    11-19-10 10:48 PM
    Only the thicker privacy protectors do this. You can still use one but you need to notch it with an old fashioned hole punch before installing it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-10 11:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD