Since the Torch and BB 6 offer full HTML web browsing does that mean all sites will be viewable in that format or will some only be mobile sites still? From what I have learned BB' use less data because rIM compresses it but will it still use significantly less while web browsing vs other smart phones?

When I played with one I couldn't get all full websites, some sites came up as mobile and I couldn't find the option to get the full site, where as other smart-phones had the option on the webpage. Does anyone know or have experience with this?
    08-09-10 06:40 AM
    probably because the browser is still new.. Im sure come release these little kinks will be ironed out or else people will start complaining loud about these quirks.

think of it as the opera browser when it comes down to optimising content when it gets shifted through the RIM servesr (at least thats how i see it)
    you won't get a dodgy experience compared to other phones using a webkit browser.

still needs flash though!
    08-09-10 07:33 AM
    So does anyone think the data usage will still be lower? Since it is loading more onto each page?
    08-09-10 07:47 AM
    The browser does not control whether it loads the mobile site or not.

The websites you visit detect the browser based on the browser's useragent. They then choose to redirect you to the mobile version of their choice (some sites redirect you to a special BlackBerry version, which is why you may see a link on other smartphones).

People need to update their sites not to redirect to the mobile version for the new browser. Until then, you'll get redirected.

That being said, given the same webpage, the old browser and the new browser will use exactly the same amount of data.

The new browser is just able to correctly render the information it receives versus the old browser which, well, was more of an approximation rendering.
    08-09-10 08:12 AM
    Having not seen the OS I can not say will any level of certainty but in previous native browsers you could set the browser to identify itself at IE or firefox and thus the site would feed you the full HTML site. The new browser may and probably does still have this setting in its options. With the browser open press the BB key and then select options look for the browser ID setting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 08:21 AM
    Thanks! Ill give that a try when I get the phone on Thursday.
    08-09-10 08:30 AM
    I'm sure it is a question of browser ID. Funny thing: when I was playing with the phone this weekend and went to the NY Times site -- which always has a little blurb urging me to download their BlackBerry app -- there was a blurb urging to downolad their app for the iPhone instead.

Last edited by JasW; 08-09-10 at 08:37 AM.
    08-09-10 08:34 AM
    Anyone found a browser identification setting yet?
    08-12-10 11:07 PM
    Anyone found a browser identification setting yet?
    It's simply not there...
    08-12-10 11:20 PM
    I'm sure it is a question of browser ID. Funny thing: when I was playing with the phone this weekend and went to the NY Times site -- which always has a little blurb urging me to download their BlackBerry app -- there was a blurb urging to downolad their app for the iPhone instead.

It does the same thing to me. I have an EVO and I can't get the New York Times to display the full web page at all. only the mobile site works. Maybe they need to fix their site for mobile devices?
    08-13-10 12:26 AM
    I have a 9810. Same problem with eBay Mobile site. No option to disable mobile site detection I can find in the new BB7 browser.
    10-20-11 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD